Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
One other thing - when I got my stingray, I considered having my black top painted tan to resemble some of the older scrambler / renegade tan tops. Went back and forth on how that may look as color combo and never pulled trigger revisiting this - any strong thoughts or pics anyone has seen with stingray and tan?
I agree. Just ordered a tan softopper. I have the tan interior and a (light) tan spiderweb shade. Stingray and tan is the combo I’m going with too.
Sponsored

Motech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CITY-GS.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2019 VW GTI, 2018 BMW R1200GS
Occupation
Technologist
In my opinion yes, pretty fast to take off(2-3 mins) then to cover I’d say 4-5 mins to put rear window in and unroll top, to be covered I personally think it looks better than Oem with it being folded back, I drove 7 hours up to Ohio with my wife and dogs it can be a little noisy but so far no complaints
i didnt get one yet (waiting until spring because seasons basically over now anyway).
My thoughts are, half the price of the factory one, and better looking. Basically an advanced bikini top.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Could someone post some photos of where the rubber gasket seals should attach to the brackets? When I had everything painted, the shop took them off, and they don't remember where they belong. The also took the front and rear bracket off the main rail, and put it back together incorrectly. I was able to figure that out, but I might need to make some adjustments.

Motech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CITY-GS.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2019 VW GTI, 2018 BMW R1200GS
Occupation
Technologist
i didnt get one yet (waiting until spring because seasons basically over now anyway).
My thoughts are, half the price of the factory one, and better looking. Basically an advanced bikini top.
Shit. I just got a great deal on a soft top. $700. Couldn’t pass it up.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Shit. I just got a great deal on a soft top. $700. Couldn’t pass it up.
Yeah, I'm jealous. I missed that deal. It was just slightly too far away, but I should have done it anyway. Congrats. I'm still holding out for the next round of suntops, I guess.

Sponsored

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
I think the biggest difference besides the man bun look is the availability to go full open top instead of just folded back. Honestly, I haven't even installed my back window yet. I use it like a bimini top. You can drive around with the top only and roll it forward when you want a full convertible. Which doesn't take much time at all. If you do need the full coverage for a long trip I can easily put the back window in.

Last edited:

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't doubt what you're saying. But the stock soft doesn't really go down all the way, right? Aka the manbun look and the back of the top still being up.

I want to like the stock soft for ease of use but those limitations make it less appealing, at least to me.
I agree the factory top doesn't look too appealing and would be nice if it went down further in the back but other than that it was way more appeal to me than this. Just my .02.....

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I timed myself Wednesday it was 1 min 49sec to roll up top and take back window off… to put window on and unroll top was 4 mins 54sec

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I timed myself Wednesday it was 1 min 49sec to roll up top and take back window off… to put window on and unroll top was 4 mins 54sec
Based even on that not worth it to me, my top is up and down daily. I can see the appeal if opening and closing isn't that frequent.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I agree the factory top doesn't look too appealing and would be nice if it went down further in the back but other than that it was way more appeal to me than this. Just my .02.....
That's fair, definitely a tradeoff one way or the other.

If someone makes a stock type setup that folds back farther, they will have my money guaranteed. Until then I will probably go suntop and just roll the top when I want since that part seems to only takes a couple min.

That's assuming my truck ever gets out of Scheduling phase...

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I want the suntop because it's a third of the price of the factory softop. Appearances aren't the determining factor, although I do think the suntop is more attractive. But I'll buy whichever is cheaper.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
Just got email saying I should soon get payment email and have one on the way. Thanks for all the reviews and info. Question for those who’ve installed - I have a JTop shade that I keep on under the hard top and when topless to give some shade to my young son in the back. It attaches by buckled straps that wrap around the roll bar. Pics of the Suntop and install pics / videos look like there may be enough of a gap between the brackets and roll bar to keep the JTop sunshade on underneath. Anyone have any thoughts or pics that may help? Just trying to think of any last minute details before pulling the trigger. Thanks all.

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
@Wkyfiregladdy or @Insert_Clever_Name_Here have you had an issue with the rear straps popping loose when the doors are off and running in safari mode? Mine keeps doing it when I hit the freeway around 70-80 MPH.

I’m thinking of adding a footman loop or something to the Roomerang to eliminate the janky buckles.

It doesn’t do it with the full top.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
@Wkyfiregladdy or @Insert_Clever_Name_Here have you had an issue with the rear straps popping loose when the doors are off and running in safari mode? Mine keeps doing it when I hit the freeway around 70-80 MPH.

I’m thinking of adding a footman loop or something to the Roomerang to eliminate the janky buckles.

It doesn’t do it with the full top.
No I had only ran in safari mode once and I got up to 72 no issues, but I had trimmed the plastic down so it fits in the cab groove better, had an idea for some bolt on brackets for the buckles
Sponsored