25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have all information such as build date ect.

Purchase date: September 24, 2019
Overland edition, CEL along with the Yellow autostart exclamation mark light came on 3 times and went away at different mileages. They all occur under similar circumstances. Not at start up but during a harder than normal acceleration where the motor RPMs are close to or just above 4000. 2 times in the first 1000 miles, again before 2000 miles, and currently at the dealer with around 2900 miles. Went to dealership on December 26 told light was on for misfire and that they are replacing rocker arms on the "right" side of motor. Was told that they would receive all parts on the 27th. Received a call on the 27th that it was not finished. Call on the 28th was the technician was not able to complete repairs prior to him getting off work at 3 when the service department was open until 6. Service department closed today. So if they don't complete repairs by tomorrow, I will become more than annoyed. I want it fixed correctly but it is no fun spending the amount of money for a vehicle and being without it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There have been service bulletins out related to ticking and misfire codes - "rocker arms".
I posted a quote from one of them in another thread here yesterday. The dealers were instructed to replace the rocker arm for a tick and said that the rock arm could also trigger a misfire code. (they are more followers than rockers, but whatever)
From what I have seen there's more than one time they've had similar bulletins.
Mechanical failures of lifters, rockers/followers, etc. can cause misfire. Doesn't take much of a valve not opening fully or on time to misfire.

Besch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland (sting-gray)
Build Date 09/2019
Mileage 1800
Still on just happened yesterday
P0300
Nothing done to try to resolve issue
Making appointment with dealer this morning
Also having them check the ESS

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I wonder what the connection with the ESS is. Seems like everybody has both start at about the same time.

25rawls

First Name
Bj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership replaced all rocker arms. Check engine light is still on after they reassembled and as I was waiting to take it back home. They said it is still throwing a code for multiple cylinder misfire. Now I am home in a rental.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership replaced all rocker arms. Check engine light is still on after they reassembled and as I was waiting to take it back home. They said it is still throwing a code for multiple cylinder misfire. Now I am home in a rental.
I am curious - are the rocker arms and lifters replaced as a set or are they replacing only the follower/rocker arm and not the little lifter in there?
I would assume both.......... but dunno.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
So a few weeks ago I had scheduled to have my Jeep brought in today to the dealer to get everything started on the p0300 and Auto S/S issue. Low and behold, last night on my way home the check engine light turns off, and this morning on the way to the dealer the Auto s/s light turns off and works perfectly....
So this may be a complete waste of time. Im sure they'll turn back on the day after I pick it back up....

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
October 15 final inspection per index card w/ manual.
JTR A! light came on and went away on 7th day, 8th days 200 miles Check engine light came on P0300 multiple cylinder missfire and stayed one, all of the dash light flashed at stop sign the other day as if it was about to die. Remote start quit working today.
Total lemon
Taking to dealership tomorrow
This is really piece of crap that they built, if you can't build a engine that lasts a week, then why are you even in car business FCA?

I have a chevy with 70k miles and 0 problem, i should have bought a chevy instead of putting 50k for this piece of junk, even though i like the truck, interior exterior but the engine is piece of junk.
Going through the forum, looks like they don't know how to fix it.
Not sure how long its gonna run with CEL already on with 200 miles, i can't trust this truck.
Really disappointed in my first Jeep. Not sure if i even want to keep it.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
October 15 final inspection per index card w/ manual.
JTR A! light came on and went away on 7th day, 8th days 200 miles Check engine light came on P0300 multiple cylinder missfire and stayed one, all of the dash light flashed at stop sign the other day as if it was about to die. Remote start quit working today.
Total lemon
Taking to dealership tomorrow
This is really piece of crap that they built, if you can't build a engine that lasts a week, then why are you even in car business FCA?

I have a chevy with 70k miles and 0 problem, i should have bought a chevy instead of putting 50k for this piece of junk, even though i like the truck, interior exterior but the engine is piece of junk.
Going through the forum, looks like they don't know how to fix it.
Not sure how long its gonna run with CEL already on with 200 miles, i can't trust this truck.
Really disappointed in my first Jeep. Not sure if i even want to keep it.
We were unlucky. The pentastar engine is a proven engine that's generally reliable. I really think that nothing is actually mechanically wrong (at least nothing serious) and that the fix will end up just being a reflash or something.

Sponsored

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build date:5/24
Mileage when it first occurred:16900
How many times has it occurred:still ongoing
What exact codes did it throw: multiple misfire, crankshaft sensor a/b
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? They checked coil packs, they end up replaced the rocker arms on 3 cylinders
Was the issue ever fully resolved? Y

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My dealer agrees that it is likely an electrical issue. They ordered a new PCM and will have it installed tomorrow. We' will see......

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My dealer agrees that it is likely an electrical issue. They ordered a new PCM and will have it installed tomorrow. We' will see......
I just found out that even though our gladiators have the engine they changed the heads because they a variable valve time system to help improve gas mileage and power.

There's no real fix for it yet. all they can do is change the rocker arms.

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
We were unlucky. The pentastar engine is a proven engine that's generally reliable. I really think that nothing is actually mechanically wrong (at least nothing serious) and that the fix will end up just being a reflash or something.
I was really hoping the same, pentastart being used for a while now on other models should have no issues with it, with this thought i went with first model year of new gladiator but here we are in same boat, really disappointing.
On the driver side it says 12/19, must be the built date?
Dropped it off at the dealers on saturday, they still are not sure what's wrong, still waiting on'em.
In Texas, i heard electric issue cannot be lemon lawed.

jeepintj

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1951 Willys CJ3A 2005 Jeep TJ Rubicon 2016 Jeep JKU Sport S
Hi
I had the miss fire codes come up as well as the ESS light on mine after about 600 miles. It spent a month in the dealership, replace PCM, O2 sensors.
The final fix was a new valve cover and gasket. One tech noticed the smallest amount of oil on the back side of the block coming from the valve cover, it was dripping onto the O2 sensor wire harness and knock it out causing all my issues. New cover and gasket as well as cleaned the harness and another O2 sensor now at almost 15,000 miles and no more issues.
Sponsored