Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper

Pkoz

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
This past Friday I switched over from my 2015 F150 and 2019 2Dr JL to a Gladiator Mojave edition. As many have, I consolidated to "best of both worlds". In doing so, I removed my mopar steel bumper from the JL to attempt to put it on the Gladiator. I figured I'd post as a reference to the ability to use the mopar steel front on the mojave edition. So here is my quick and dirty summary:

• Yes! The steel bumper fits on the mojave (mostly... more below)
  • All attachment points for the steel bumper are the same
  • Fogs connect the same and work
  • The Mojave comes with it's own steel skid plate to accommodate the shock reservoir, so I did not need to swap the mopar steel skid plate from my JL (which is good, because I didn't need to mess with the extra brackets and nutserts
  • You will need to swap (or paint) the red toe hooks to match the orange of the rest of the truck. It is a bit of a pain to remove the red toe hooks from the steel bumper, but very doable. I swapped them out and all fit fine.
  • Here is the rub. The mojave steel skid DOES get in the way of the mopar steel bumper slightly. The result is inability to use the bolts on the front two holes. The bottom ones attach normally and securely.

Hope this provides some quick visuals into what you can expect if you choose to put the steel bumper on the mojave. Below are some pictures of the removed mojave factory bumper and skid as well as attachment points for the skid and bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_172235
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_170918
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_131227
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_122728
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_122515
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_122511
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_122506
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20200705_145456
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
Nice truck! Still haven’t seen a Mojave in the wild yet.

Looks like the same steel skid plate that came with the Rubicon plastic bumper, except painted a different color. For reference, if you swap to the steel skid plate for the steel bumper, it will have a really nice closeout against the bumper.

2DF741E6-1CEF-488B-BCB8-0BF52ADD37D8.jpeg

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nice truck! Still haven’t seen a Mojave in the wild yet.

Looks like the same steel skid plate that came with the Rubicon plastic bumper, except painted a different color. For reference, if you swap to the steel skid plate for the steel bumper, it will have a really nice closeout against the bumper.

2DF741E6-1CEF-488B-BCB8-0BF52ADD37D8.jpeg
I agree. Once he takes off those outside brackets for the Mohave skid plate, it looks like the Steel bumper skid plate should bolt right in to the bottom of the frame.
Here is my Rubicon JT with the steel bumper and steel skid plate installed. You can see the old two bolts that had the old Rubicon bracket for the rubber bumper skid plate. I kept those 2 bolts on each side in case I need bolts on the road. Looks the same on the Mohave.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper geDmTB

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
  • Here is the rub. The mojave steel bumper DOES get in the way of the mopar steel bumper slightly. The result is inability to use the bolts on the front two holes. The bottom ones attach normally and securely.
You removed a steel bumper to replace it with another steel bumper? Or did you mean something else? Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the Mojave come with a decent steel bumper (at least as an option)?

Regardless, if you intend to install a winch, I'd ensure that every bolt is installed and that your skid plate is fully attached to the bottom of the bumper as it would be on a factory-delivered Rubi with steel bumper. All of that hardware is going to hold that bumper, skid plate and winch mount in place, keeping things from bending (and maybe even breaking) during really tough pulls.

OP
OP
Pkoz

Pkoz

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. Once he takes off those outside brackets for the Mohave skid plate, it looks like the Steel bumper skid plate should bolt right in to the bottom of the frame.
Here is my Rubicon JT with the steel bumper and steel skid plate installed. You can see the old two bolts that had the old Rubicon bracket for the rubber bumper skid plate. I kept those 2 bolts on each side in case I need bolts on the road. Looks the same on the Mohave.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper geDmTB
Good observation, I'll have to take a closer look to see if the bracket on the mojave can be removed cleanly. The mojave bracket seems to support the reservoir for the shock and I wonder if removal would compromise that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pkoz

Pkoz

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You removed a steel bumper to replace it with another steel bumper? Or did you mean something else? Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't the Mojave come with a decent steel bumper (at least as an option)?

Regardless, if you intend to install a winch, I'd ensure that every bolt is installed and that your skid plate is fully attached to the bottom of the bumper as it would be on a factory-delivered Rubi with steel bumper. All of that hardware is going to hold that bumper, skid plate and winch mount in place, keeping things from bending (and maybe even breaking) during really tough pulls.

I removed the stock mojave bumper which was plastic and replaced it with a mopar steel bumper I had on a JL. The mojave trim comes with a plastic bumper and a steel skid.

You make a very good point regarding the hardware and I've been considering that in my head. For now it seems secure, but over time given weight and stress, it may compromise the part.

Perhaps I'll have to take the advice of you guys and try the swap with the mopar steel skid so that it has better attachments and a cleaner closeout. I just hate to give up the unique aspect of the mojave skid.

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
I removed the stock mojave bumper which was plastic and replaced it with a mopar steel bumper I had on a JL. The mojave trim comes with a plastic bumper and a steel skid.

You make a very good point regarding the hardware and I've been considering that in my head. For now it seems secure, but over time given weight and stress, it may compromise the part.

Perhaps I'll have to take the advice of you guys and try the swap with the mopar steel skid so that it has better attachments and a cleaner closeout. I just hate to give up the unique aspect of the mojave skid.
Yeah I like the color of the Mojave skid. Really stands out.

GtownTX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power Wagon, Durango RT, Commander
Occupation
Tech

Have you looked further into swapping out the mojave front skid for a rubi skid? Seems like it could maybe just trading problems so I'm curious if you have learned more. I'm making the same bumper swap later this week on my mojave.

studiodfw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
Have you looked further into swapping out the mojave front skid for a rubi skid? Seems like it could maybe just trading problems so I'm curious if you have learned more. I'm making the same bumper swap later this week on my mojave.
Same here... watching to see how this plays out.

OP
OP
Pkoz

Pkoz

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I've not yet changed the skid plates, (although I've kept the rubicon skid for this potential). I've not had any issues with the current setup (mopar steel bumper and mojave skid), and the mojave skid remains secure and intact despite light wheeling.

I'll be sure to post further when/if I choose to try the rubicon skid.

Sponsored

GtownTX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Power Wagon, Durango RT, Commander
Occupation
Tech
No, I've not yet changed the skid plates, (although I've kept the rubicon skid for this potential). I've not had any issues with the current setup (mopar steel bumper and mojave skid), and the mojave skid remains secure and intact despite light wheeling.

Thanks. Did you put anything in the front two bolt holes of the skid to attempt to secure it...like tie straps, etc.?

OP
OP
Pkoz

Pkoz

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Did you put anything in the front two bolt holes of the skid to attempt to secure it...like tie straps, etc.?
I didn't, but only because I didn't try. It is still very secure, not wobbly and no signs of bend. That being said, with some time I may see what options I'll d

OliverJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, Ford Fusion Hybrid

Do you happen to know the part number for the Mojave front skid plate? Trying to find it so I can replace my plastic junk! Thanks

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I upgraded my JTR "Plastic" bumper to the Mopar Steel. The part # for the steel bumper I bought through Jeep is actually the JLR version. It fits the same with the exception of the skid plate. Same issue your having it seems. I took an angle grinder to mine to clear the room then painted it over to prevent rust and such.

jeepit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM
Vehicle Showcase
20200705_122515.jpg
20200705_122511.jpg

I wonder if those remote reservoirs get in a way when mounting winch
Sponsored