First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Has anyone come up with a way to switch off the license plate tag light when the reverse lights are on and as soon as the reverse light switch off then the tag light is restored?

If it were some computer macro I'm sure I could figure something out but trying to think of a solution that would cut out the tag circuit with relays only while shifted into reverse using the reverse light 12v that wouldn't pop up a bulb out error is making my brain hurt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Terminus33

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Well at least that is one option of doing it. Did not know that was one of the features. I just wish it wasn't a $300 option. Lol

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Well at least that is one option of doing it. Did not know that was one of the features. I just wish it wasn't a $300 option. Lol
Its does a ton of cool things for that $300 though, tire size, gear ratio, auto start stop off, rear camera turning on when you turn on your blinker, check and clear engine codes etc. If you ever need a dealer flash for anything its probably just worth it to grab a tazer.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
My tazer lite does it... it’s not listed as a feature but it does it, was pleasantly surprised to find it did this, thought I’d have to upgrade to the mini software

Sponsored

Techloco

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I was wondering if this was an option in Jscan but couldn’t find anything in their menu. A much cheaper solution than the Tazer.

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I had my Gladiator in for the steering box replacement and I asked them if they could disconnect the tag light when put into reverse. The tech researched it to see if it could be done and couldn't find anything on it. He suggested black tape, or replace the LED light with a halogen light.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the 'live' features of the Tazer. It has to stay connected for it to work. It's not an option Jscan or the dealer can enable.

It can be accomplished using a Normally Closed relay. Break the feed to the license plate lights and connect it across the relay terminals. Tap into the reverse line to trigger the relay. When in reverse, the lights will turn off.

Another option is some Lamin-x tint on the license plate lights. It will reduce the glare in the camera, but leave it bright enough that you shouldn't get stopped for it.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
... Another option is some Lamin-x tint on the license plate lights. It will reduce the glare in the camera, but leave it bright enough that you shouldn't get stopped for it.
I have a sheet of LAMIN-X on order. Prismatic clear to diffuse the glare. We'll see how good my fab skills are. Have to do something, the back up camera useless at night. @pixeldecals did a post and gauged whether there was enough interest that he could offer it for sale, already cut to size, but there was little interest.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sheet of LAMIN-X on order. Prismatic clear to diffuse the glare. We'll see how good my fab skills are. Have to do something, the back up camera useless at night. @pixeldecals did a post and gauged whether there was enough interest that he could offer it for sale, already cut to size, but there was little interest.
Adding additional reverse lights helps to overcome the glare. The more light available, the less the impact from the license plate lights.

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
Adding additional reverse lights helps to overcome the glare. The more light available, the less the impact from the license plate lights.
I will have enough film to cover several lenses for $10. Cheap.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
Has anyone come up with a way to switch off the license plate tag light when the reverse lights are on and as soon as the reverse light switch off then the tag light is restored?

If it were some computer macro I'm sure I could figure something out but trying to think of a solution that would cut out the tag circuit with relays only while shifted into reverse using the reverse light 12v that wouldn't pop up a bulb out error is making my brain hurt.
I've been thinking of putting a 5 lead relay in the circuit so that when the vehicle is in reverse the tag lights are disconnected. It'd be relatively simple. Tie the tag lights into the normally closed side of the relay, then use the reverse light circuit to open the relay when in reverse. Simple and only a few bucks if you don't mind doing a little wiring.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
This is one of the 'live' features of the Tazer. It has to stay connected for it to work. It's not an option Jscan or the dealer can enable.

It can be accomplished using a Normally Closed relay. Break the feed to the license plate lights and connect it across the relay terminals. Tap into the reverse line to trigger the relay. When in reverse, the lights will turn off.

Another option is some Lamin-x tint on the license plate lights. It will reduce the glare in the camera, but leave it bright enough that you shouldn't get stopped for it.
LOL. I JUST posted that very thing without reading your reply. Great minds I guess...
Sponsored