First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
Those that have installed a Tazer JL or similar, what did you use to get the two plugs disconnected? I tried pliers and screwdrivers attempting to work them out without shredding my hand to no avail. I ended up just wedging my hand in cutting it to shreds but got it done. Assuming I will have to disconnect when I take to the dealer, I'd like to know what the best tool is to reach in there. Thanks guys
Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Those that have installed a Tazer JL or similar, what did you use to get the two plugs disconnected? I tried pliers and screwdrivers attempting to work them out without shredding my hand to no avail. I ended up just wedging my hand in cutting it to shreds but got it done. Assuming I will have to disconnect when I take to the dealer, I'd like to know what the best tool is to reach in there. Thanks guys
I have big hands and struggle with it every time. Bare fingers is the best way. It does get a little easier as time passes.

OP
OP

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
I pulled the panel and I could BARELY get my hand in. My thumb looks like I got attacked by rats. I need a tool with the right angle of the dangle to reach it next time.

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
I borrowed my wife's hands to plug in my Tazer, and she said it was a tight fit. She ended up scratching her knuckles a little, but it wasn't bad.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My hands were so torn-up after installing mine (I have large hands) that it looked like I had tried to bare-hand grab a pissed-off raccoon in a cage... I tried pliers, screw drivers, etc... but in the end I just had to snatch on the wires while pushing the plug lock down and it popped-out after wiggling it. I was worried about snatching the wires out of the plug, but it eventually popped out, and I got it installed. Afterwards, I was glad I had done the software update to the Tazer JL Mini before installing it, so I know it's up to date. :like:

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
I had same difficulty unplugging. Question: When you plugged in the Tazer did you get the blinking light on the device because I didn't and I can't access the functions. Tried to update firmware and software but having difficulties there too. Mac OS Catalina. Zautomotive specs a Mac OS Sierra. Not sure if that's the difference.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had same difficulty unplugging. Question: When you plugged in the Tazer did you get the blinking light on the device because I didn't and I can't access the functions. Tried to update firmware and software but having difficulties there too. Mac OS Catalina. Zautomotive specs a Mac OS Sierra. Not sure if that's the difference.
Did you have the Tazer installed before, or are you updating before install for the first time?

I'm not sure what's going on with your Tazer when you plug it in to the Jeep. Make sure you didn't bend any plugs or pull any wires out by accident.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4 here... Mine took a few times updating it with the ZPU tool you can download for the Mac for updating the Tazer.

1) Make sure where it says "USB Port" that it is showing your Tazer, and not something else plugged into your computer or something bluetooth connected to your computer.

2) You have to make sure it shows all the correct information & the newest version, where it says "Version" in the box (highlight with a red square in the attached image below) after updating.

Mine took several times to actually update the Tazer itself.

Jeep Gladiator Tazer JL installation ZPU

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Bama, thanks. I was with Tech Support with Zautomotive and because the Tazer didn't flash upon connection to the truck that it was a hardware problem and I should contact Qudratec for a replacement. Story of my life!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. Well, either way, that's a few things to keep watch on, when they send out out the new unit. :like:

If you have any other questions when the new one comes in, post them up.

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Bama, got my replacement Tazer in and trying to update before plugging in to my truck. The Z utility will not recognize the Tazer in the USB port area. What gives? The Tazer is flashing a green light, tough.

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
OK, the bar at the bottom is blue and says: Update Successfully Found. Does this mean Tazer is updated or ready to be flashed in the Tazer?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bama, got my replacement Tazer in and trying to update before plugging in to my truck. The Z utility will not recognize the Tazer in the USB port area. What gives? The Tazer is flashing a green light, tough.
Sorry, I just now saw this. If you want to get someone's attention here on the forum with a notification, you can just type the @ symbol and start typing their username (no spaces), and it will pop up several users and you select the right one. And then when you post your comment, it will notify them that you mentioned them in a post. I'll do it with your name, so you'll see what I'm talking about...

@fins

You will need to make sure the USB Port that is selected shows your Tazer when you select the correct port. You will know it is the right one because it will show your Tazer and the software version in the red box I showed you above. Then you will need to make sure the software actually updates. This could take once, or several times. But when it's correct, it will show the correct [new] software version in the red box I showed you above, where it says "VERSION". Then you will know it's updated successfully. Then you can install it in your Jeep, make sure the lights blink, then stop blinking, and then you can marry the unit to your Jeep, and adjust your settings accordingly.

fins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Still can't get it to update. Z Automotive support says the updates work flawlessly in Windows. So I've got one ordered. Will need it for my 911's Durametric Diagnostic Tool anyway. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored