Sponsored

Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem?

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
So I stumbled my way through getting the Tazer mini installed and programmed to what I wanted, not much, BFG AT 35x12.5 tires, some other minor setting changes.

Went for a drive to program the speedometer and get the front and back up cameras working again, as well as update the TPMS with more air (I added air).

Stopped at a shopping center to use their front glass windows as a mirror, check out my 3rd brake light flash. Neat little trick, but then noticed NOW my reverse lights dont work! Well, the passenger side doesn't work, only the driver side does, and NEITHER of the Oracle bumper lights work. Not happy with that.

Possible that trying out the light show options ruined the Oracle lights?

Can Oracle help? Or is it a Tazer problem, (seems like there's quite a few "quirks" like this...)
Sponsored

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I think I've seen this problem somewhere else when people programmed the 3rd brake light to flash and it screwed up other functions. (search google using jeepgladiatorforum and something with the 3rd brake light) - There are quite a few different threads on similar issues. Did you try putting those settings back to stock? For the taillights, switch them around and see if the problem follows. I use JScan so I can't help too much with the tazer but there's some threads on the 3rd brake light issue with the tazer. I doubt you fried the oracle lights.

Me personally, I'm not a fan of the flashing brake lights. I've seen this mod more and more on other vehicles.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Did you set the taillights to LED with the tazer? Were your original lights halogen or LED? If halogen, you might need to change that setting to LED in the tazer.

Did you make any changes to the lightshow via the computer software?

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
1: Did you update the Tazer to the latest firmware before installing?

2: Did follow the Tazer instructions EXACTLY in regards to doing the reboots and sleep cycles after you installed the Tazer and made programming changes?

The vast majority of issues people have with the Tazer can be fixed simply by following all the instructions instead of "figuring it out".

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
Tazer is updated to the latest firmware.

My Jeep already had LEDs, no changes there. The reverse lights all worked as they should prior to Tazer install.

I made NO changes to the light show settings via my laptop. I did try a couple out for maybe 30 seconds in the Jeep.

I followed Tazer install procedures, everything else went through (minus the blue screen when backup camera was initiated, but after a drive, that cleared, I believe due to the tire size change.)

Yeah, "Figuring it out" is NOT an option with the Tazer, I had my laptop with all instructions, and a few Youtube videos, in my passenger seat the whole 2.5 hours I spent putzing around with the thing...

Instructions on line (Through Z Auto) didn't match exactly with the latest firmware update IIRC... but I got thought it.

Just the reverse light issue now. I might unplug the additional Oracle bumper reverse lights, see if that helps. What a pain though...

I DID set the third brake light to flash (8 times).

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the functions in the Tazer allows you to control the bed and reverse lights from the fob. A really handy feature if you are loading something into the bed at night.
Key Fob Unlock x 3 = Turn on bed lights
Key Fob Unlock x 5 = Turn on bed lights/reverse lights
Key Fob Lock x 1 = Turn off all lights. Or lights will turn off on their own after 30 minutes.

There was a bug in an old firmware vision where if you turned the reverse lights on (perhaps inadvertently, it seems many people have a habit if just hitting the unlock button a bunch of times as they approach the vehicle) and then drove off without turning them off again from the fob one of the reverse lights would stay one while driving.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tazer is updated to the latest firmware.

My Jeep already had LEDs, no changes there. The reverse lights all worked as they should prior to Tazer install.

I made NO changes to the light show settings via my laptop. I did try a couple out for maybe 30 seconds in the Jeep.

I followed Tazer install procedures, everything else went through (minus the blue screen when backup camera was initiated, but after a drive, that cleared, I believe due to the tire size change.)

Yeah, "Figuring it out" is NOT an option with the Tazer, I had my laptop with all instructions, and a few Youtube videos, in my passenger seat the whole 2.5 hours I spent putzing around with the thing...

Instructions on line (Through Z Auto) didn't match exactly with the latest firmware update IIRC... but I got thought it.

Just the reverse light issue now. I might unplug the additional Oracle bumper reverse lights, see if that helps. What a pain though...

I DID set the third brake light to flash (8 times).
If I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong... if you tied the oracle reverse lights into the factory ones, they feed off the right side. So if the right factory reverse light isnt powered, neither are the oracles.

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
One of the functions in the Tazer allows you to control the bed and reverse lights from the fob. A really handy feature if you are loading something into the bed at night.
Key Fob Unlock x 3 = Turn on bed lights
Key Fob Unlock x 5 = Turn on bed lights/reverse lights
Key Fob Lock x 1 = Turn off all lights. Or lights will turn off on their own after 30 minutes.

There was a bug in an old firmware vision where if you turned the reverse lights on (perhaps inadvertently, it seems many people have a habit if just hitting the unlock button a bunch of times as they approach the vehicle) and then drove off without turning them off again from the fob one of the reverse lights would stay one while driving.
That's an awesome feature! Haven't used it yet, but I'll try when I get out to my Jeep for sure.

Sadly, my issue isn't covered there. Of the two (Oracle) reverse lights, left and right, AND the bumper reverse lights, (Oracle) only my driver side taillight reverse light works.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it was me, first thing I would do is make sure the Tazer is firmly plugged in. Second thing I would do before anything else is the reboot and sleep cycles again, exactly as they say. If they are done right we've seen all sorts of wonky behavior.
Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 1687281857704

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadly, my issue isn't covered there. Of the two (Oracle) reverse lights, left and right, AND the bumper reverse lights, (Oracle) only my driver side taillight reverse light works.
Again, I dont have the Oracles (I have the brighter Vision-X bumper lights, and they are so bright I have them on an aux switch) but I think the oracle plug and play harness taps the right factory reverse light. So if the tazer or any other problem prevents the right rear factory reverse light from getting power, both oracle lights will also stop working.

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I’d set the taillights to halogen and see what happens. Although, running the factory LED and oracle reverse lights, mine is programmed for LED and works fine. That I know of anyway haha

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
Again, I dont have the Oracles (I have the brighter Vision-X bumper lights, and they are so bright I have them on an aux switch) but I think the oracle plug and play harness taps the right factory reverse light. So if the tazer or any other problem prevents the right rear factory reverse light from getting power, both oracle lights will also stop working.
Yeah this is what I was thinking, since the bumper lights are tapped into the right tail, the Tazer has killed three lights instead of 1 or 2.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong... if you tied the oracle reverse lights into the factory ones, they feed off the right side. So if the right factory reverse light isnt powered, neither are the oracles.
They'll feed off either side - most install using the left but it doesn't really matter. I connected mine to the left on my 2020, and to the right on my 2022 because I also added a wire to power them with an aux switch and it was more easily done behind the right tail light.

The only way to know which side these were powered from by the installing person, is to look under the truck to see which directions the wires come from.
This was my 2020, the light in the right end of the bumper - the wire coming from the left side of the truck-

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 20210702_122550

My first install on the 2020 -

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 20210702_122350_HDR

Second install on my current JT -

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 20220728_152905

OP
OP
RacerAV

RacerAV

First Name
Adamo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jeep Lover
They'll feed off either side - most install using the left but it doesn't really matter. I connected mine to the left on my 2020, and to the right on my 2022 because I also added a wire to power them with an aux switch and it was more easily done behind the right tail light.

The only way to know which side these were powered from by the installing person, is to look under the truck to see which directions the wires come from.
This was my 2020, the light in the right end of the bumper - the wire coming from the left side of the truck-

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 20220728_152905

My first install on the 2020 -

Second install on my current JT -

I was wondering if I added a aux power to them would that mess up anything... guess not! Nice!

Yeah I figure it's possible to wire the reverse bumper lights to either tail light, but my problem is that the Tazer killed the passenger side taillight reverse light (not tail (red) lights), which is where I plugged in my bumper lights, SO I think the Tazer thereby killed not only the pass. side light, but the bumper lights as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Truck is off, engine not running, aux switch on - handy for hooking up trailer, loading and strapping my cars onto trailer in the dark, etc. ->

Jeep Gladiator Tazer Mini + Oracle Tail lights and reverse lights = a problem? 20220728_153407_HDR
Sponsored