Tell me all about your decked system

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So, I'm looking to get some insight into the decked system on the gladiator and what the real world experience is. They have a heap of marketing that makes it look like the answer to all problems and this is all well and good but of course it's always gonna work because they chose what to put in it before filming.

Some background, I am not looking for it to be "The Ultimate Extreme Overlanders Solutiuon to Storage!" but rather in the trunk of my JK I have a collection of milk crates that hold stuff I might need but not at the moment. Added to this is work tools, PPE kinda stuff like climbing harnesses etc, chainsaw and stuff etc. A gladiator seems to be out on the horizon and I want to get my plan planned so it can all assemble like voltron on or about day 1 and I need to know if I'm wasting my thoughts on a system that seems to work well and perhaps does work well for other trucks but may not be best fit for the gladiator.

Additional background, I am also looking to add the Leer top and both front and rear front runner racks for a complete look. I am well known to use front and rear hitch baskets for the "heavy things" you don't want on the roof like a 165qt cooler full of ice and a 90qt cooler full of liquids to be iced. So my typical methods are distributed loading with heavier or harder items down low and light fluffy things ups high. The issue I see is the decked to leer space being restrictive, perhaps too low for a travel kennel but we shall see. Simple math on this says the decked should finish up around seat bottom height so seat to hardtop should be ~=~ to decked to cap height. For honking big stuff the cap can come off and for those peeled at the beach days it can all be stripped with coolers/grill etc lashed to the decked.

But enough ramble, please tell me all about your decked; that you like, what you don't like, what could be better, what is just marketing puffery and all that jazz. Action photos encouraged.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor

Relevant to my interests. I'll be getting an ARE topper and am wondering if that's enough or if something like a decked system should be added too.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I had one in my previous truck (tundra) so I was used to the costs and benefits. I will say with the gladiator you almost HAVE to have a topper of some kind to keep any kind of bed functionality because the remaining height to the top of the bed rails is so limited. I bought both of my decked units used. People tend not to do their research and end up unhappy with the system. I struggled to keep the system watertight (it was WELL used and I removed and reinstalled it constantly so that could be my fault) in my tundra, but the one in the gladiator is newer and I've left it in full time, with no water issues. I think the nice thing about them is that your gear is right at waist level. No crawling into the truck to get tools out. But, it also means that your tailgate can't be used at the same time (example- can't set the camp stove on the tailgate if you need to get back into the drawers for anything). All in all, I think it's a good system, evidenced by the fact I've bought 2. Watch the gladiator forum classifieds and facebook marktetplace. They come up for sale all the time.

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I bought one and ended up listing it. I think I used it regularly for 6 months.

Your mileage may vary but my experience from a functionality perspective is that the decked system for the Gladiator was poorly thought out. I use my bed for everything, and since I went to a rack with molle panels I've been much happier. I can throw my engine hoist on the rack and lift and drop it out of the truck in about 15 minutes, or you could do something similar with a cheap hoist in a garage from harbor freight.

My largest gripe with the Decked was that there is no quick way to get it in and out. You need to completely unbolt every single screw in the deck to get the back corners unbolted and lift it all out. You lose a ton of space in the sides around the wheelwells and after only 6 months one of my drawers warped from the summer heat beating down on the black plastic. It did not affect it's ability to function, it just looked terrible when fully extended. I do not doubt that it is a phenomenal system for trucks that had a more well thought out design period, but for the gladiator it really seems like it was an afterthought.

My personal suggestion is to stay away from it or try to buy one used on this forum. They are made from a pretty indestructible material so you shouldn't have any concerns about picking up even an abused one for the right price.

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
yeah basically you have to pick: do you want organization for lots of small-medium stuff or do you need the open space for medium to large items?
I dont typically haul mowers or furniture and stuff like that but I haul alot of smaller gear that I like to keep dry and secure and organized.

fst96se

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I bought my gladiator three months ago with a decked system. I added a half rack. Unfortunately that combo, for me, was completely wrong. Almost unusable. I couldn’t put a cooler back there!

i sold the decked and the half rack yesterday. I intend to do a full height rack, and a tonneau cover. That’s a whole ‘nother can o’ worms, lol.

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
I use my system all the time. Found it used and it leaked. Worked a little on it and it’s sealed up now. I have a fab fours rack and cargo slide mounted to the decked. Meets my needs and I have a trailer for anything that doesn’t fit.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Thought about one. Researched it thought there was an option to only half a bed. No go. Went MOLLE panels instead. Will do probably a Tuwa Pro rack. Checks all the boxes for my build I hope.

OP
OP
ACAD_Cowboy

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So it seems like the general consensus is that it takes up too much space for the amount of organization it provides while also carrying a high dollar per unit of organization.

Having lived a long life as a cabinet maker I could just schedule up some material and some router time and just make a single or twin drawer system on some slides but I like the coordinated systematized approach they offer.

Honestly based on feedback and more than a few youtube videos (the users not decked) I feel that too much space is wasted on structure that could be better served as another wide drawer. But... big but... I found a video of a gent who put his ARB twin compressor in the "ammo box" well which then gets me thinking about the wayout concept with the air chuck right in the body so... get out of my head!!!!

3258-3f57-45c1-9a80-4b27f5044d9d.jpg

(my go to image for this particular sensation)

Then the thoughts all fall out like Tetsuo's organs...

Enough diversion.

I feel like the system should be more functional for the cost and the ability to hot swap seems restricted, like you can't just decided you need to get a piece of bulky something and just pluck it out, my milk crates only need a little culling to be grab'able with two hands and hip, they being all zip strapped together.

I suppose I need to widen the net and see if anyone around me has one to touch and feel and see in the flesh. Perhaps my local decked dealer can help.

Sponsored

MarkN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi

Relevant to my interests. I'll be getting an ARE topper and am wondering if that's enough or if something like a decked system should be added too.
That dude with the chair is cool!!!

OP
OP
ACAD_Cowboy

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So my recent trip to the local Leer and Decked dealer bore strange fruit.

My dealer took the time to tell me all about a recent build out they did for a newer Tacoma. In went the decked and on went the leer but then they installed a bed slide system ON TOP of the decked to allow a little more functional use. Not helping the disease dude, not helping at all.

It seems like an phenomenal outlay to feel cool:
bed slide - 1400
decked - 1400
leer - 2800
frontrunner - 1500
frontrunner for leer - 925

All in - at least 9k including freight, labor, install, incidentals.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I'm holding off on getting a DECKED until I get a topper. I was wanting a soft topper, but that company is not fulfilling orders so the search continues.

With a topper and the DECKED, you can still get a ton of stuff loaded in the bed and under cover. If you have trail rails, you can strap stuff in so it doesn't move around. If you don't have trail rails you can get DECKED tracks that screw to the top and then strap stuff down.

I work construction, any given day things can change on a jobsite and you may need more clothes, rain gear, welding gear, yadda yadda yadda and it would be nice to organize it all in a weather resistant system.

It's a good system, but just like everything else for our toys, it's not for everyone.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Got my DECKED three months after getting my JT.

Totally dig it. Only time I hate is when a friend asks if I can help him move large objects. I'm like, FCK!!!

Like the OP stated, I too added a Dual ARB compressor in one of the Ammo Cans.

Jeep Gladiator Tell me all about your decked system 1D999824-B25E-4577-82CA-331CDDAACF6D

Jeep Gladiator Tell me all about your decked system 1A7EB662-390E-43A6-AD19-C6F764DC7483

Jeep Gladiator Tell me all about your decked system BECD89B9-6786-4989-B5E1-BCBA3214AE1C

Jeep Gladiator Tell me all about your decked system 8FE3B86E-CAFD-4B76-B013-2CFCF82EB102

I'm now playing around with the idea of putting a power inverter and an outlet in the other Ammo Can.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Got my DECKED three months after getting my JT.

Totally dig it. Only time I hate is when a friend asks if I can help him move large objects. I'm like, FCK!!!

Like the OP stated, I too added a Dual ARB compressor in one of the Ammo Cans.

Jeep Gladiator Tell me all about your decked system 8FE3B86E-CAFD-4B76-B013-2CFCF82EB102

I'm now playing around with the idea of putting a power inverter and an outlet in the other Ammo Can.

Nothing like bringing something back from a year ago.

Any additional mods to your decked system? Everything still working out well?
Sponsored