Sponsored

Terrifying issue with forward collision system malfunction - anyone else experience?

Flmthwr65

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
I have all of the safety features on my jt and the beeper has gone off a couple of times on sharp curves but it seemed to know not to apply brakes. I can tell you it saved me once when a car came out of nowhere and it stopped for me. Not a perfect system but I like it. If I was having the problems stated I would have it back to jeep imediately.
Sponsored

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
I assume the system has logs somewhere that can be accessed to determine if the system was triggered. I also have a dash cam hard wired to the ignition switch, so any time I'm running, it's recording. This means it should pick up the warning noises and me screaming "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, JEEP" as the system kicks in for no reason. Shouldn't be too hard to prove it wasn't my fault/malicious.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
I was driving over a bridge on a highway earlier today and, out of nowhere, the car emergency noises go off and my car coms screeching to a halt. It is a manual so it also stalled out. I went from ~40mph to 0mph in as fast as a gladiator can stop.

Luckily, no one crashed into me and no one in the car was hurt. Maybe the sensor saw through a grate in the bridge and then saw the bridge and stopped immediately?

The collision detector malfunctioned and thought that we were in an accident (and, if not for luck, it would have caused us to be in one...) Now, i cant use cruise control and my dashboard is lit up with various issue lights - it appears that the car thinks we were in a collision

Has this happened to anyone else? I am worried about driving it thinking it may happen again
I had one false alarm where we were starting from a complete stop. I let off the brake and pressed on the gas, but the Jeep didn't think the car in front of me was going fast enough and auto braked. Only other time it actually activated the brakes was when I swerved around a car to try to get through a light and didn't get over far enough. Guess it was the truck's way of telling me to slow down.

I've had a few warnings come on for nothing but brakes weren't applied.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Is this box larger than the tech in other vehicle/brands?
It is monstrous compared to our Tesla which actually has more cameras. It's also much more in the way because of the angle/size of the windshield. The Tesla box is basically not there.

On the topic of the falses, I've never had either vehicle do anything crazy, but both have applied light braking or issued a warning where they shouldn't. Or, let's say, where I knew the threat was passing and the computer was overly conservative. I also have ONE very specific place near home where BOTH vehicles always make a minor mistake nearly every time I pass it. I find that super interesting, since the systems are so vastly different.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
My experience:
GOOD - Few months ago a kid pulled into traffic from a 2-way stop right in front of me and the FWC braking slammed on the brakes faster than I could get my foot on the pedal.
BAD - Today I turned it off because a parking garage spooked it repeatedly. Now Iā€™m afraid to keep it on in while driving.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
My experience:
GOOD - Few months ago a kid pulled into traffic from a 2-way stop right in front of me and the FWC braking slammed on the brakes faster than I could get my foot on the pedal.
BAD - Today I turned it off because a parking garage spooked it repeatedly. Now Iā€™m afraid to keep it on in while driving.
Lol, this is what people are talking about. How many more accidents will it cause vs the ones it prevents? I'm not saying the tech is bad or that it's bad that they are pursuing it, it's just not ready yet.

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience:
Had the same experience in a parking garage in downtown Houston. Repeated warnings but never applied the brakes. I had been in parking garages before without this issue but I think it was because this one was compact. You could barely get two cars abreast of each other going up or down and only one could navigate a turn. Anything more than a midsized sedan was sticking out into the drive which probably caused most of the false alarms

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many more accidents will it cause vs the ones it prevents?
This was my thought exactly for turning it off permanently now. In the garage I got an audible warning first lap heading up and shrugged it off as weird, same spot next level it hit the brakes HARD about 5 yards from parked cars. The driver behind me was not thrilled with that move, and almost caused a slow speed pileup of the 3-4 in line behind me.

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the same experience in a parking garage in downtown Houston. Repeated warnings but never applied the brakes. I had been in parking garages before without this issue but I think it was because this one was compact. You could barely get two cars abreast of each other going up or down and only one could navigate a turn. Anything more than a midsized sedan was sticking out into the drive which probably caused most of the false alarms
I've been able to reproduce it consistently now. It happens when there are cars parked at the end of a ramp heading up (not down, only up). I'll get a video, it's really unsafe - not even a warning just mashes the brakes in a full lockup. Of course dealer service blames the Mopar 2" lift (always, for everything!). Rotate the tires? Nope, can't - lift. Surprised they didn't try to blame the lift on why they forgot to replace my coolant cap last service, LOL!

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been able to reproduce it consistently now. It happens when there are cars parked at the end of a ramp heading up (not down, only up). I'll get a video, it's really unsafe - not even a warning just mashes the brakes in a full lockup. Of course dealer service blames the Mopar 2" lift (always, for everything!). Rotate the tires? Nope, can't - lift. Surprised they didn't try to blame the lift on why they forgot to replace my coolant cap last service, LOL!
Video would be helpful.

Lift excuse is BS. I've got 2.5-3" lift on mine and nothing like you are describing. Haven't had issues getting service because of the lift either.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I'd got a dif dealer, yours sounds like it's trying to set up a case to deny you service or void your warranty. Either way, they sound shitty, I'd run.

JTmac

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architecture
Anyone still experiencing these issues? I have a 2020 with almost 70k miles. For the most part FCW has been good.

Couple occasions the indicator light came on on the dash. Once I shutdown the truck and restart, no longer there. No big deal. It hasnā€™t done that for probably a year now.

The false positives scare the heck out of me though. Itā€™s happened twice in about 6 months. Both times at the same spot - under an overpass, waiting at a stop light to turn left. Traffic starts to go and I follow. Then Jeep says ā€œNoā€ and hits the brakes. First time was a while back at night with no one behind me. It immediately let me resume going forward. Second time (today) was higher traffic time of day. Car behind me nearly slammed into me. Then I started to go and it did it again! Car ahead of me was long gone by that point. If I were the car behind me I would have been livid.

Not sure what to do about it? From reading this thread and another thread about false positives, it seems like there are spots (parking garages, bridges) that produce them. Havenā€™t heard anyone say theirs used to do that but the dealer fixed it. I am out of warranty so donā€™t really want to spend a few hundred bucks at the dealer to just find out ā€œthatā€™s the way it isā€. Like having the system on, but plan to disable the braking feature until I regain confidence.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Changes in vehicle height or stance (such as removing the natural rake of a TRUCK by "leveling") can impact how these work.
They rely on calibration that is done with the truck at a certain height and stance. Change that it it changes how the system sees or detects things.
I've never had an issue with mine - either of them. Granted, I only had 27,000 on my 2020, but it was driven in all sorts of situations, including mountains, bridges, etc.
My 2022 has about 9,000 miles and has been through heavy traffic, construction zones, big traffic jams around Atlanta, etc. - no issues. It's worked perfectly when total morons decided to cut across multiple lanes basically cutting me off so they could make an exit.

JTmac

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architecture
Changes in vehicle height or stance (such as removing the natural rake of a TRUCK by "leveling") can impact how these work.
They rely on calibration that is done with the truck at a certain height and stance. Change that it it changes how the system sees or detects things.
I've never had an issue with mine - either of them. Granted, I only had 27,000 on my 2020, but it was driven in all sorts of situations, including mountains, bridges, etc.
My 2022 has about 9,000 miles and has been through heavy traffic, construction zones, big traffic jams around Atlanta, etc. - no issues. It's worked perfectly when total morons decided to cut across multiple lanes basically cutting me off so they could make an exit.
Havenā€™t done any suspension modifications or changed tire size.

My suspicion is that there is something with the way the overpass above, itā€™s columns, the dividing wall between north and south bound lanes or maybe the reflectors on it thatā€™s triggering the system. Not knowing what itā€™s reading it hard to speculate why. I drive a lot of miles a lot of different situations, but the false positive occurred at this same spot. Once it happens you keep waiting for it to happen again. Itā€™s on the route I routinely drive to get to my daughterā€™s school. After the first time it happened, it took a while to not worry it would happen again. Jeep is going to train me to take a different route šŸ˜‚.
Sponsored