First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Mine is active, but rarely goes off, if ever.

Honestly it sounds like the system did what it was looking to do (minus the parking garage example). I believe there were many things taking place when the system activated itself, but worst case, TURN IT OFF if you feel it is UNSAFE.

what isn't clear is were there in fact vehicles in front of you when the system engaged??? if the vehicles were stopped and you were accelerating as described, then system activate. But that is purely Monday morning quarterbacking which is completely irrelevant.

I paste out of the book the descriptions for the settings and maybe one will work better or again you can always turn it off.

Near

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Near” setting and the system status is “Only Warning”, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible closer collisions with the vehicle in front using audible/visual warnings.

 This setting provides less reaction time than the “Far” and “Medium” settings, which allows for a more dynamic driving experience.

 More dynamic or aggressive drivers that want to avoid frequent warnings may prefer this setting.

Far

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Far” setting and the system status is “Only Warning “, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible more distant collisions with the vehicle in front using audible/visual warnings.

 More cautious drivers that do not mind frequent warnings may prefer this setting.

Medium

 When the sensitivity of FCW is set to the “Medium” setting and the system status is “Only Warning”, this allows the system to warn the driver of a possible collision with the vehicle in front using audible/ visual warnings.

Thanks for including the manual! I had read it a couple months back, but it's good to get a refresher.

To answer your question, there were indeed cars in front of me, but we were all accelerating since traffic was picking up. It seems to be a peculiarity of this bridge. Anyway, I drove over it yesterday with the settings of Near and Active Braking and I got through without even a warning. Of course, I was a lot more cautious this time (being a chicken) so that I don't e-brake during rush hour again.

-Erik
Sponsored

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Why anyone would want there vehicle to have this much control is beyond me. Turn it all off pay attention and drive defensibly.
As a couple of others have responded, I like having that fail-safe in place, in case there's a distraction or there's something I just don't see.

I agree totally with wanting to keep the control in the driver's seat, that's why I was asking around to see if this is a big problem for others.

Thanks!

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Thanks for including the manual! I had read it a couple months back, but it's good to get a refresher.

To answer your question, there were indeed cars in front of me, but we were all accelerating since traffic was picking up. It seems to be a peculiarity of this bridge. Anyway, I drove over it yesterday with the settings of Near and Active Braking and I got through without even a warning. Of course, I was a lot more cautious this time (being a chicken) so that I don't e-brake during rush hour again.

-Erik
I don't blame you about the "chicken" part. When i use adaptive cruise i always seem to override the system braking piece when coming to a full stop. I just dont trust the vehicle enough to have it do it on its own.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I don't blame you about the "chicken" part. When i use adaptive cruise i always seem to override the system braking piece when coming to a full stop. I just dont trust the vehicle enough to have it do it on its own.
Lol, that took me a while on my Honda to trust just because it was new for me. Now I use it all the time if I'm in stop and go traffic. I do wish the Jeep would hold it stopped though instead of just deactivating after it's stopped.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I don't blame you about the "chicken" part. When i use adaptive cruise i always seem to override the system braking piece when coming to a full stop. I just don't trust the vehicle enough to have it do it on its own.
I have the manual transmission, so I can't get an auto-stop for that feature. I guess "stall" could be an auto-stop, but that might be less amusing :)

Sponsored

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Mine went "off" three times for no reason and almost caused me to get hit from behind. Scared the bejeebers out of me and gave me a mild case of whiplash. After the third time I turned it to warning only. It always happened near a certain spot on I285. There is a TSB for Wranglers with this problem.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Because if they were in more vehicles and people used them my FATHER would be alive today - that's why.
YOU may drive perfectly, but shit happens - and it kills.

I'm glad you are a perfect driver and have never crossed that line and never felt the slightest bit sleepy while driving, never got distracted talking, using the phone, using GPS, reaching for anything at all.
You are rare and that's good - more drivers should be perfect.

But as long as anyone who can breathe can have a license - you never know.
One fellow was killed here when a driver had a heart problem - and he hit another vehicle - think maybe that might have saved someone had his vehicle been able to do something.
It ain't for everyone - but when you have a family member killed when technology could have prevented it............ you view things from a different perspective.
You are reaching out there quite a ways today:facepalm: Can you show me where I said anything close about being a perfect driver.

MoultrieGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Physician
Has anyone had any false positives with the Collision Avoidance System? @JeepCares, this is a rather serious safety issue. I've had three false positives where the brakes engaged for a full-sstop.

The first was in a parking garage, which is pretty cramped, but for some reason, an open area triggered the Collision Avoidance System and slammed on the brakes. That was irritating, but not a big deal. i go in and out of this garage daily without any alerts.

The next two incidents could have caused an accident. I was going southbound on the Fort Pitt Bridge (in Pittsburgh), which consists of three or four lanes of constantly merging and shifting traffic, pretty hazardous on its own. My lane cleared up a bit, so I stepped on the gas. I can't imagine I was going over 30 mph. Immediately, the Collision Avoidance System slammed on the brakes, even though there was no one even close! Irritated, I hit the gas again, and it slams on the brakes, AGAIN! So here I am on a really busy bridge, during rush hour, and I've just slammed on the brakes twice. I was extremely fortunate that I wasn't rear-ended. Before, I've had audible warnings from the system on this bridge when there wasn't anybody within collision distance.

I now have the Collision Avoidance System set to "Near," which makes me concerned that I won't have as much warning as before. I almost turned the system to "Notify Only" which then removes the "protection" during a real emergency.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have had this exact same issue in the garage. It is ONLY when i am going up a ramp section and ONLY if I am going sort of fast. I think for both the ramp (and potentially the bridge depending how steep it is) once we start going fast enough it detects that speed change and detects the road ahead of us at that angle and thinks it is a car.

Super scary/annoying. I just have to be mindful to drive slower in garages

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t built up trust in this yet so mine is on warning only, but i am on board with adaptive cruise control after using it in all conditions heavy rain sleet & sunshine. 1,000 mile trip.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Agree 100%. A sensor will NEVER be the same as a human eyeball. Statistics are showing that accident rates and severity are increasing, not decreasing, and it's all because of this safety garbage combined with distracting electronics. Either drive your vehicle or call a taxi.
It's called because "anyone can get a license" and certain groups don't have the consequences that others have. Discussed at great length locally here.
Seems some are immune to consequences, drive away only to do it again.
And then there's the idiots like my dad told me about years ago when he car-pooled. They were getting onto I80/35 NW of DSM - and the driver was cursing other drivers on the interstate- pissed because they weren't getting out of his way.
My dad asked "you do know what that yield sign is for, right?" (the one pointing at HIM)
The response - yeah, they are supposed to yield to me and let me in.

BS.

So that's what's out there.

Sponsored

P90Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Launch Edition, 2011 JKU Rubicon
I have mine set to "warning only." It goes off all the time in tunnels, even with no imminent danger or anything close. Just beeps though. Not a great system. I choose to simply pay attention like I have all my life.

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
Ok, mine has gone off, with a " brake" light in center of dash, a few times on a few trips. Took back to dealer two times. The second time reset the system, or rebooted. has not gone off again. Hope that helps. All under warranty, pain to bring in but do it while under warranty.

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
We sold a brand new Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid last year for the same reason, over zealous safety algorithms. You couldn't disable them, we traded for another Audi a SQ5 who's implementation is almost flawless. The same was true with my A6, it was a pleasure in stop and go traffic, I didn't have to touch the brake or gas for miles every day.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some of you guys are obviously having issues with a system NOT working correctly - as mine never goes off like any of these.
My wife has the same setup in her GC, my son has in his Jeep, those work fine, mine has never triggered.
So it's not like these are all bad - a few seem to be.
If they were all like some of you describe, then the forum would be filled with complaints - it's not. And many of us don't seem to have an issue with it - so it's not like the whole system is poorly designed or flawed in all Gladiators. A handful of you have issues with it, like a handful have steering issues, a handful have cluster display issues, a handful have HVAC issues.
It's not a systemic issue - it's an issue with a few.

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
Some of you guys are obviously having issues with a system NOT working correctly - as mine never goes off like any of these.
My wife has the same setup in her GC, my son has in his Jeep, those work fine, mine has never triggered.
So it's not like these are all bad - a few seem to be.
If they were all like some of you describe, then the forum would be filled with complaints - it's not. And many of us don't seem to have an issue with it - so it's not like the whole system is poorly designed or flawed in all Gladiators. A handful of you have issues with it, like a handful have steering issues, a handful have cluster display issues, a handful have HVAC issues.
It's not a systemic issue - it's an issue with a few.
That is the challenge with these sensor systems, the variance sensor to sensor, how they are installed, what happens in different reflective environments, how the interpret different driving styles.

For example the Volvo i mentioned would do it on the highway in the right lane approaching a vehicle from the rear at decent closing speed, turn signal on an even sometimes accelerator to change to the left lane. It would ignore the fact that I had indicated changing lanes, and took control of the accelerator and slammed on the brakes. Very repeatable, that forum said I shouldn't do that. I replied that make California undrivable with the people who camp in the they lane. Sold the next month.
Sponsored