That evil box behind the mirror

BudMan

First Name
Bruce Budwick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, BMW 135I
Anyone else have the box try to kill you? Twice today in heavy rain after sitting at a stoplight for over a minute, the auto brake feature turned on as traffic and I started to pull away when the light turned green.

I almost got rear ended twice!!!
Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Welcome to the forum! Agree with you. My wife is always putting down the visor and I flip it back for safety. I'm a throw back on this. Seriously dudes are relying on tech to drive their Jeep. Ok great, just not my thing. I'd saw that damn thing off. It's not popular here, but tech on a vehicle is like booties on a dog. End of rant!
To respond or not to respond, that is the question.... With each passing year, vehicles are more 'tech' than ever. Some 'tech' is convenience; some 'tech' is comfort' some safety, etc. As the purpose of 'that evil box' is largely safety related, it will make far fewer mistakes, if any, over any human over the same duration of time.

I like vehicles so I test drive basically anything; much in the same way, I watch movies, so that I can have informed opinions when discussing either. To that end, my wife and I have driven all the Tesla models. I'd never own one (only Jeeps), but to think that the 'tech' in that vehicle isn't worth having because it somewhat obstructs a view (not that it does, just for the sake of argument) over being able to not see an area that is, very small, relatively speaking to the size of the windshield is almost laughable. That box will save your rear end far better than any additional unobstructed view would 99.9% of the time. Even if you think you're a good driver, it's the other a$$holes on the road that you cannot account for. Your eyes, brain, reflexes are far slower, I assure you.

I tend to agree with the comment in this thread regarding looking for UFOs or something like that.

Last edited:

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Anyone else have the box try to kill you? Twice today in heavy rain after sitting at a stoplight for over a minute, the auto brake feature turned on as traffic and I started to pull away when the light turned green.

That's not good at all! Sounds like it needs better software.

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal

Not in my JT but I've had my Ford Fusion mis-identify a dip in the freeway as an object and it applied brakes and I've had my Cherokee mis-identify a semi driving around a corner in an adjacent lane and apply brakes.

OP
OP
canyonrat

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Yeah having a Chrysler rental car slam on brakes on my behalf due to a dip in the road was one of the scariest driving experiences of my life. All auto-driving technology should be banned before we have to walk through the obvious upcoming failures and resultant deaths. More chips, more computer-controlled stuff is more things to go wrong.

My JK has a metal key that you turn for ignition, it does not shut itself off at traffic lights, it does not throw itself into park arbitrarily when you meant to be in gear, it has more interior space side-to-side and up-and-down, more room for my left foot when driving. @JeepCares if you are listening, FCA needs to realize the layers of tech and reduced space are a big step back for many of us Jeep loyalists. 26 years since I bought my first YJ new off lot. Gladiator is appealing but v1 has lots of needless drawbacks.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
To respond or not to respond, that is the question.... With each passing year, vehicles are more 'tech' than ever. Some 'tech' is convenience; some 'tech' is comfort' some safety, etc. As the purpose of 'that evil box' is largely safety related, it will make far fewer mistakes, if any, over any human over the same duration of time.

I like vehicles so I test drive basically anything; much in the same way, I watch movies, so that I can have informed opinions when discussing either. To that end, my wife and I have driven all the Tesla models. I'd never own one (only Jeeps), but to think that the 'tech' in that vehicle isn't worth having because it somewhat obstructs a view (not that it does, just for the sake of argument) over being able to not see an area that is, very small, relatively speaking to the size of the windshield is almost laughable. That box will save your rear end far better than any additional unobstructed view would 99.9% of the time. Even if you think you're a good driver, it's the other a$$holes on the road that you cannot account for. Your eyes, brain, reflexes are far slower, I assure you.

I tend to agree with the comment in this thread regarding looking for UFOs or something like that.

I have a model 3 performance. If Jeep offered the same autopilot as I have, I’d gladly pay the $6k premium for it

Mtnbkr29R

First Name
Glay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Is there any way to order a Gladiator where it does not come with the plastic box behind the mirror? It seems to block a good portion of visibility through the windshield, along with the mirror itself.

I saw something about ACC/FCW electronics being in there. Of course I want cruise control, but would pay extra for no Forward Collision Warning. Wondering otherwise if the box can be eliminated aftermarket and the mirror raised up high enough to actually see out of the Jeep?

Yes I had the seat all the way down, and I am 6'4". I happily drive a 2012 JKUR no problem, but I did flip my mirror upside down. Thanks for any ideas, otherwise, really like the looks of the truck.
I was nearly in 4 accidents because the rear view was blocking vehicles from my view. I removed the mirror and bought a new one that attaches with a suction cup and what an unbelievable difference! I highly recommend replacement.

OverBrass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I asked State Farm about how replacing windshields affects insurance. In Florida, there is no charge (or deductible) to replace a cracked or severely chipped windshield. Basically, I was told although there is no limit to the claims, they are considered 'incidents' and at somepoint, your insurance could be raised.

In all fairness, that really is not much different than they look at the liability of any type of car. I am sure it is factored in currently to our cost...but it could go up if you get crazy.
Would they replace using same as OEM's or different type? Wondering if it will end up being gorilla glass or otherwise. in FL with State Farm

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
Would they replace using same as OEM's or different type? Wondering if it will end up being gorilla glass or otherwise. in FL with State Farm
There is no data showing the GG has any better performance. To my knowledge, State Farm will still only pay OEM.

Alkapin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
I would think carefully before ordering ACC/FCW on a JL/JT. That box behind the windshield makes it many times more expensive to replace the windshield, apparently due to calibration of the electronics. My wife's CX-5 has that stuff and it can be great, but a new windshield cost our insurance company $700. And that was the low rate paid by the company. Consumer rates would be more.

By comparison, new JK windshields only cost about $200. The JL should be similar, assuming it doesn't have ACC/FCW.

It's a Jeep, y'all. You will replace the windshield. Probably multiple times.
Here in BC, you pay a fixed windshield replacement deductible and the rest is covered by the insurance. It doesn't really matter how much it cost. However, insurance only covers a third party, not OEM, windshields. If you want an OEM glass you need to cover the cost difference. In this case it looks like they have no choice but to install OEM replacement. Which is a good thing.
Sponsored