Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What are the thieves doing with all those Canada stolen Jeeps? Keeping them in Canada or shipping them south to Latin America? I worked lots of counter drug mission when in the DoD, and saw a lot of vehicles (Harleys & F-150s) with the Vins filed away, even in the dealers...
They drive straight north into Russia.

Or, like here - VINs where changed, whatever, and they were used to run drugs. I worked on a lot of cars "confiscated" by the narcs here. We are at the crossroads where I80 and I35 meet and cross. So we got a lot of "traffic" coming up from the south, and crossing from CA (the CA for California) to the east coast, or the other way around. Nice cars - Corvettes, MOPARs with the big 440 and a six pack, (dang, I loved test driving those)
Got educated on where each car was modified to hide their cargo. Dogs did them in in many cases.
The officer for this area brought his cars in to our shop to be checked over and made to go fast so he could then used them to catch the bad guys or infiltrate them.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I used to lock my glove box and center console. But realizing that a very small pry bar can defeat those locks (and damage the jeep in the process) I find it safer to leave them unlocked and empty when im parking with no doors on. I now keep my registration and insurance behind my locked rear driver's side seat. Going to be a bit of a conversation if i ever get pulled over... but I haven't been pulled over in probably over a decade so it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Haha I was thinking the same thing and I got pulled over yesterday. I was thinking what the hell am I being pulled over for. The cops approached my vehicle cautiously with hands by their guns and I was in the car with my wife and daughter. I just sat there with my hands on the top of the steering wheel and told my wife and daughter just sit tight. They came to my truck and I rolled down the windows. They looked around and advised me to please give them my drivers license and keep my hands on the steering wheel. I asked them what was up and he informed me that my truck was showing as stolen. I told them sorry that is not possible its my truck and I have the papers to prove it. They told me to just sit tight. After some discussion, etc turns out and I had no idea someone had stolen my license plates and replaced them with plates that were showing as stolen. So we got everything worked out and now I do not have any license plates any longer as they took the plates. and filed report that my original plates were stolen. I have to go tomorrow to get new plates and registration.
Bit of a uneasy feeling watching police with hands at the ready come up on your vehicle with your family in it but I do understand the caution and situation.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Yeah, understand what they are, and that they are after the firewall, and that's why I wondered if there was a way to quickly connect to add fobs - or other changes.
They have full access to the system and can do almost anything from there.

That's the area that caused my CANbus errors last summer, communication issues and so on.
If I recall, there were changes made about 2018 that made it harder to add "keys" to these.
Yeah, but really just that and that alone. Could still get in and basically bypass keys all-together. Its a blessing and a curse. They make everything easier and simpler, unfortunately that alos means malice actions are simplified as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but really just that and that alone. Could still get in and basically bypass keys all-together. Its a blessing and a curse. They make everything easier and simpler, unfortunately that alos means malice actions are simplified as well.
Cars or computers - make it easier for the end user and it's easier for the bad guys. Make a computer easy to use, and it's easy to break into it. Similar for a car.

Sponsored

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Haha I was thinking the same thing and I got pulled over yesterday. I was thinking what the hell am I being pulled over for. The cops approached my vehicle cautiously with hands by their guns and I was in the car with my wife and daughter. I just sat there with my hands on the top of the steering wheel and told my wife and daughter just sit tight. They came to my truck and I rolled down the windows. They looked around and advised me to please give them my drivers license and keep my hands on the steering wheel. I asked them what was up and he informed me that my truck was showing as stolen. I told them sorry that is not possible its my truck and I have the papers to prove it. They told me to just sit tight. After some discussion, etc turns out and I had no idea someone had stolen my license plates and replaced them with plates that were showing as stolen. So we got everything worked out and now I do not have any license plates any longer as they took the plates. and filed report that my original plates were stolen. I have to go tomorrow to get new plates and registration.
Bit of a uneasy feeling watching police with hands at the ready come up on your vehicle with your family in it but I do understand the caution and situation.
Yikes, that was scary - but glad that both you and the cops had a good safe interaction. Hope you get new plates without much issue.

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
Good photo. Thanks. How difficult is it to pull forward if a person wanted to run some wires or access something up high?
This pic is from a really good video I used to replace the red dash with a black leather. I'll try to post the link. This was about 12 mins into the video.

Jeep Gladiator What’s behind the glove box? Stolen Jeep Screenshot_20230116-201331_YouTube

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I used to lock my glove box and center console. But realizing that a very small pry bar can defeat those locks (and damage the jeep in the process) I find it safer to leave them unlocked and empty when im parking with no doors on. I now keep my registration and insurance behind my locked rear driver's side seat. Going to be a bit of a conversation if i ever get pulled over... but I haven't been pulled over in probably over a decade so it's a risk I'm willing to take.
Well its like a lock on the door to your house..........if someone wants to get in, they'll breach the door.

Security is all about having layers so you're not a soft target. I teach those concepts monthly.

My JT is a soft top, so out of practice I do not keep anything of value in the truck and if I do its out of plain sight.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I would be that when your jeep was stolen, one of the things they did was to pull the glove box open to see what they can find and it fell onto the floor. Then by the time you got it back, it's gone. Or is it there and just not put back yet?

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I would be that when your jeep was stolen, one of the things they did was to pull the glove box open to see what they can find and it fell onto the floor. Then by the time you got it back, it's gone. Or is it there and just not put back yet?
Probably not, it doesn't just fall on the ground that easy.
Plus I've seen where thieves are getting into the CanBus to steal cars. That's what's behind the glove box.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well its like a lock on the door to your house..........if someone wants to get in, they'll breach the door.

Security is all about having layers so you're not a soft target. I teach those concepts monthly.

My JT is a soft top, so out of practice I do not keep anything of value in the truck and if I do its out of plain sight.
Security concepts are similar no matter cyber or vehicle. Layers.
And sometimes it's the most simple things that do the most for you.
We used to laugh at some of the stuff we saw hitting our firewall and IPS logs. And yet - some agencies were still running old servers with old OS's and single layers of protection. Oh, it's good, we have this or that...........

I had sort of wondered it a warning sign indicating you had security might help.
I was thinking of something like this -

Jeep Gladiator What’s behind the glove box? Stolen Jeep 1673977539467

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security concepts are similar no matter cyber or vehicle. Layers.
And sometimes it's the most simple things that do the most for you.
We used to laugh at some of the stuff we saw hitting our firewall and IPS logs. And yet - some agencies were still running old servers with old OS's and single layers of protection. Oh, it's good, we have this or that...........

I had sort of wondered it a warning sign indicating you had security might help.
I was thinking of something like this -

Jeep Gladiator What’s behind the glove box? Stolen Jeep 1673977539467
You know I agree with that statement!

Physical security applies to almost everything.....assuming there is value to someone

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You know I agree with that statement!

Physical security applies to almost everything.....assuming there is value to someone
We had to harden things a bit more than we already had in order to get SSA to share PII with us - such as SSNs and so forth. We were fine with the network security I had in place, we passed that fine but where they said we were lax was physical security. Many people had access to the storage rooms next to the server room - and the server room wall itself only went to the suspended ceiling. My boss and I had already suggested it was a weak area months prior but management said naw, been that way for years, it's fine, too expensive and so on. SSA said it had to change - it got changed.
Two ways to get to something in that case- remote access, physical access.
Multifaceted security.
My wife insists - garage doors always closed unless there's a good reason they need to be open, and lock all doors and windows to the garage if we aren't home, and at night.

If a bad guy has to spend a lot of time getting through multiple layers, they are less likely to bother.
A couple rattle snakes in the garage might not hurt, either.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We had to harden things a bit more than we already had in order to get SSA to share PII with us - such as SSNs and so forth. We were fine with the network security I had in place, we passed that fine but where they said we were lax was physical security. Many people had access to the storage rooms next to the server room - and the server room wall itself only went to the suspended ceiling. My boss and I had already suggested it was a weak area months prior but management said naw, been that way for years, it's fine, too expensive and so on. SSA said it had to change - it got changed.
Two ways to get to something in that case- remote access, physical access.
Multifaceted security.
My wife insists - garage doors always closed unless there's a good reason they need to be open, and lock all doors and windows to the garage if we aren't home, and at night.

If a bad guy has to spend a lot of time getting through multiple layers, they are less likely to bother.
A couple rattle snakes in the garage might not hurt, either.
I love pulling traffic with Wireshark and seeing the amazing amount of PII passed via SMTP. And a few savvy dumb dumbs thought because they were using DHCP I would not be able to figure out whos who............DHCP logs FTW

I loved taking screenshots and using that for daily hotwashes.