Sponsored

That evil box behind the mirror

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the big deal here. Over 1,000 miles in and have never thought that I need to see more of what's behind my mirror. IMO ACC is 100% with the $$.
Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
I don't understand the big deal here. Over 1,000 miles in and have never thought that I need to see more of what's behind my mirror. IMO ACC is 100% with the $$.
I was thinking the same thing! I just went for a drive and for me the only thing that it might block the view of is an airplane, sky, tree tops. The ACC is the best option that I would never have picked if it hadn't come with the LE!

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Are you sure that's how it works? Are you sure there isn't any calibration required for the new windshield? It's not a matter of ungluing the sensors from the old windshield and sticking them on the new one. It's a fine calibration process. Here's how one website put it:

You may be wondering why a car needs to be re-calibrated at all. Or better yet, why a windshield replacement causes issues. This is due to the fact that car windshields are actually pretty techie and what you think may be just glass, isn’t just glass. Even though you can’t always see it, there are built-in sensors, specially positioned areas of tint and no tint, heaters, noise reduction layers– the list goes on. Some of these built-in or attached sensors can be linked to ADAS. And if the sensors change position by just a millimeter or degree, it may throw the entire system off. This one reason why re-calibration is essential after a windshield replacement.

The more advanced systems that use cameras for lane departure warning systems and the like usually have special areas of the windshield that the lens “sees” through. It is a very precise area, so great care must be taken during an install to ensure everything is lined up. Much like other sensors, the cameras are very sensitive to change and will likely need to be re-calibrated after a new install as well.
Jeep says the ACC, brake assist, and whatever other safety features I am missing all function with the windshield folded down. Therefor and can't see how any of these special sensors that are in the glass of other vehicles could possibly be in the Jeeps glass. If they are as sensitive as your website suggests moving the position of the windshield 90 plus degrees from vertical to horizontal would certainly have an impact.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Are you sure that's how it works? Are you sure there isn't any calibration required for the new windshield? It's not a matter of ungluing the sensors from the old windshield and sticking them on the new one. It's a fine calibration process. Here's how one website put it:

You may be wondering why a car needs to be re-calibrated at all. Or better yet, why a windshield replacement causes issues. This is due to the fact that car windshields are actually pretty techie and what you think may be just glass, isn’t just glass. Even though you can’t always see it, there are built-in sensors, specially positioned areas of tint and no tint, heaters, noise reduction layers– the list goes on. Some of these built-in or attached sensors can be linked to ADAS. And if the sensors change position by just a millimeter or degree, it may throw the entire system off. This one reason why re-calibration is essential after a windshield replacement.

The more advanced systems that use cameras for lane departure warning systems and the like usually have special areas of the windshield that the lens “sees” through. It is a very precise area, so great care must be taken during an install to ensure everything is lined up. Much like other sensors, the cameras are very sensitive to change and will likely need to be re-calibrated after a new install as well.
I do know that the sensors in the Gladiator are fixed where the rear view mirror is. If you lay the windshield down, the sensors are still up there with a stylish cover over them.

img1637204674-1543436185022.jpg

That being said, I don't know how that affects windshield replacement. Isn't this the same for the JL? I'm sure any number of Colorado based Jeepers have had to replace a windshield already (I'm driving with my JKU windshield cracked and just fixed my wife's Subaru windshield a couple of weeks ago... on the Front Range you can expect to replace your windshield at least every couple of years, the more cars you have, the more you replace.)

Sponsored

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon (sold), 2008 Rubicon (sold), 2003 Musso, 2016 Outback, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon (ordered)
I think there would be a calibration issue, hence why the gorilla glass isn't certified for use with the acc. Yes the windshield folds down, but you're supposed to put the lunch box cover on over it rendering it useless. Optical quality and possibly any change to the RF properties i would assume would be enough to cause potential issues.

OP
OP
canyonrat

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
If you really want to know, have a look at about the 6:51 point of the video linked in this post to see what that box (and low mirror) does to the visibility for a tall person:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/not-for-tall-people.9793/

I'm just 6'4" so maybe not as bad as that guy but the plastic box adds a lot of obstruction and I would feel unsafe driving with that big of a blindspot to my front-right. Eliminating the box reduces that blind spot by about 50%. Jeep really needs to provide a lower seat height in their setting range.

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
I'm 6'4" but have not found the box to be an issue. Maybe it's because my Ford and Cherokee have adaptive cruise and lane keeping, so they both have boxes also, but I can't think of a single situation over the past six years where there was something I needed to see up in that portion of the windshield that I couldn't see. Maybe a personal opinion issue, but from my usage I haven't had any problems.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
If you really want to know, have a look at about the 6:51 point of the video linked in this post to see what that box (and low mirror) does to the visibility for a tall person:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/not-for-tall-people.9793/

I'm just 6'4" so maybe not as bad as that guy but the plastic box adds a lot of obstruction and I would feel unsafe driving with that big of a blindspot to my front-right. Eliminating the box reduces that blind spot by about 50%. Jeep really needs to provide a lower seat height in their setting range.
To quote @steffen707 from that same post: "Suck it tall people!"

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
LOL I was gonna say I don't have that problem cuz I am 5' 6" :P

You tall guys get all the ladies so I am sure you can suck it up here hehe :CWL:

Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I'm 6’4”. I don't find it to be any sort of blind spot issue. Normally in my state that is where our large inspection sticker goes so there is very little area lost due to the box. If you can't see the traffic light you've probably stopped on the crosswalk anyhow........ the benefits of the features outweighs the UFO spotting abilities.....

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
LOL I was gonna say I don't have that problem cuz I am 5' 6" :P

You tall guys get all the ladies so I am sure you can suck it up here hehe :CWL:
Lol, for real, tall guys can get the babes, the hard to reach things off the shelf, balloons off the ceiling easier.......... Let the short guys take a win for once!

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My first day on this forum and I am feeling the anti-tall discrimination here. I need a new Gladiator to be my safe space. :LOL::lipssealed::please:

(But it can't have the plastic box.):jk:
Welcome to the forum! Agree with you. My wife is always putting down the visor and I flip it back for safety. I'm a throw back on this. Seriously dudes are relying on tech to drive their Jeep. Ok great, just not my thing. I'd saw that damn thing off. It's not popular here, but tech on a vehicle is like booties on a dog. End of rant!

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that it if it’s under 1000, it doesn’t negatively impact your insurance. I’ve replaced my Audi windshield twice, both at about 8-900 bucks, and my insurance remained unchanged. Did you have a different experience? Wondering if it’s worth getting the ACC option if it could be a negative.
I asked State Farm about how replacing windshields affects insurance. In Florida, there is no charge (or deductible) to replace a cracked or severely chipped windshield. Basically, I was told although there is no limit to the claims, they are considered 'incidents' and at somepoint, your insurance could be raised.

In all fairness, that really is not much different than they look at the liability of any type of car. I am sure it is factored in currently to our cost...but it could go up if you get crazy.
Sponsored