First Name
Alyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator,2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Retired
The Gladiator fob monstrosity is one of the silliest things I have held in a long time. The switch blade actual key randomly opens in your pocket, the panic button is raised and set to a hair trigger so it randomly goes off and the device itself is nearly the size of a Prius. To make the device easier to carry and less invasive I chose to replace it with an AJT Designs key fob. A few comments:
- Should be an option from the factory (or the dealer) to use this style fob in the first place.
- The video instructions are an absolute necessity to watch.
- The transponder chip is a nuisance to remove and you need to be really careful not to cut yourself.
- Installing the battery and closing the cover is an exercise in frustration, but after 25 minutes of struggling, I finally made it work.

Bottom line after using my new custom fob? I love it. It sits in my pocket comfortably, there is nothing poking out the side and the panic button is now recessed so it will not go off when I bend over! https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/online-store/Jeep-c70213042

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg
I don't care what fob you have. Unless you have the proximity key the damn thing will lock inside the Jeep (Hey Stellantis are you listening?)
Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
OMG, YET ANOTHER damn key fob thread??

I had to look. My fob is hanging from a belt loop right now unnoticed, and I'm not even driving the Gladiator. I just forget its there.

1621275125427.png
I see you, a man of culture, finding discrete ways of posting your bulge to the masses. Good on you.

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
@JeepJunky

No, I do not work for DI Labs.... I'm a retired old 74 yo guy that just happened to get the ear of DI Lab's and they... one of the Owner's ..... has been allowing me to test the fobs that he/his team have been designing.

The current fob, I'm working with...evaluating ..... and it is a beauty is the S Model.... it's slick as chitt.. It will be available to the general public soon so I have heard..

20210517_161510 1.jpg
Feedback—the key being stowed in a compartment is lame. It’s lame because I use it to lock the center console and the glove box. Without it being integrated into the fob itself, it doesn’t run the cylinders well. Flawed design.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Feedback—the key being stowed in a compartment is lame. It’s lame because I use it to lock the center console and the glove box. Without it being integrated into the fob itself, it doesn’t run the cylinders well. Flawed design.
Agreed. I have been using the AJT and I love everything about it except opening the blade storage. It definitely leaves something to be desired, and that's talking about a model that actually allows it to be kept inside the case. It is so far the only one that retains all the factory functions in one package, it just isn't as elegant to use the blade anymore. I suppose that's the sacrifice, and I'm okay with that.

That's also my big gripe with the Threedom models. They turn your keyfob into a 2-piece ordeal. For some that may be fine. But for others (like me) it's a turn-off. I'm not saying I need it to be as functional as stock, but I at least need a spot to keep the blade in the fob. For that reason I like the AJT much better. To each their own, but you can't argue that it's a lost function.

@am1978
No one is asking you to buy an aftermarket fob... Keep your clunky stock fob... 😂

Also, most people with any sense at all do not lock the console or glove box... On the rare occasion I need to do that, I use a key I have stashed in the cab of the vehicle.
Come on man, you don't even want constructive feedback? Don't push the development of new models if you don't want to hear the feedback of customers. I seriously doubt Threedom's view is that anyone asking for blade storage "has no sense at all". Be open to other ideas.

Not to mention, it defeats the purpose of locking anything if you just keep the key in the vehicle to unlock it....

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Yes, in today's day and age, someone that lives in a highly populated area is wise no to lock his/her glove box and center console.
IF you don't want it stolen, do not have it in the vehicle.

Locking up, means you will have pricey repair costs in regard to the console and glove box..

Reality is guy/gals with soft-tops in non-rural areas don't even lock up their vehicle's doors.... or risk their soft top being slashed for entrance by Joe asshat.
Bad logic is bad. So I shouldn't lock my front door to my house because the repair of the doorframe costs money? No thanks, I'll take what steps I can to protect my assets.

Sure, people who really want in will always find a way. But locking your doors, glovebox, etc. is a deterrent to opportunistic thieves. It's common sense to lock up when you can.

All I ask is for something like Threedom's S-model to consider a way to store the blade so this can be done easily and without having the blade floating around separately. If they did that, 100% sold. I was hoping (and wrongly assumed) they had you testing and talking about the new model in order to get community feedback and pass asks like this on to them. You say you've got their ear, help us out!

I suppose the "logic" is that the glovebox and console are easy to break into. That's irrelevant though because locking them is smart just to prevent an easy snatch and go with the doors and top off.
Nail on the head.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
@am1978

There is no key storage on the Model S fob.... if you desire too, you would hook the key which is on a key holder to the fob itself.

No one is asking you to buy an aftermarket fob... Keep your clunky stock fob... 😂

Also, most people with any sense at all do not lock the console or glove box... On the rare occasion I need to do that, I use a key I have stashed in the cab of the vehicle.
LOL. Right, no one was asking me to buy one. I bought two in 10/2019. I’d say my feedback is from user experience. I own two JLUs, selling one and buying a JTR. Just about everything the JT community thinks is new has been done in the JL world—including this aftermarket fob. I go topless a lot, so yeah, I lock things. Most people with any sense do lock up even if it gets pried—that’s what insurance is for. I’ll keep my clunky fob next time around on the JT. Enjoy your aftermarket fob. I don’t recommend this item. Does AJT endorse your marketing tactic (saying people lack sense, personal digs without substance, and sarcasm/rudeness)? There are better options out there.

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
@JeepJunky

No, I do not work for DI Labs.... I'm a retired old 72 yo guy that just happened to get the ear of DI Lab's and they... one of the Owner's ..... has been allowing me to test the fobs that he/his team have been designing.

The current fob, I'm working with...evaluating ..... and it is a beauty is the S Model.... it's slick as chitt.. It will be available to the general public soon so I have heard..

20210517_161510 1.jpg
You SHOULD work for them. This picture is a great advertisement. Uhm... I think they need me to test this fob for them also. In Gator color please. :) The handle is reminiscent of an M-16 Charging handle.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with FOB. I found a perfect solution. Clip it on when I leave the house, never touch it until I park the truck at home and go in the house and hang it up again.
I figure if my father could carry all of the other things with him at work day after day for decades, I could clip a fob to my belt or loop or whatever. It's not in the way in my pocket, it's always handy, and I've actually yet to even need to deal with it since I have passive entry now.
And if I ever use valet parking, the fob can be locked into the holster with a small lock so they can't get to the key to open the console or glove box.

Jeep Gladiator The Gladiator key...why? AJT Design solutions 20200906_152050

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
I also went with the Threedom replacement and am very pleased with it. Much smaller.
If they get around to making a waterproof one, I’ll be buying another.
Tiny bead of silicone and its waterproof.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homebrewer
@am1978
Fu nny ... you don't even realize I'm NOT talking about an AJT Designs fob in my posts here... :CWL:
LOL. It’s all fine. I wouldn’t buy that other POS either. :CWL::LOL:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Such religious fervor over such a pointless thing, it's hilarious but also sad. Maybe someone can start The Cult of the Fob, and y'all can worship in front of the original one, since by your accounts, it's as tall as a monolith.