Sponsored

So at the end of the day why the Gladiator? Pickup is better

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
So I am waiting on a gladiator because I'm not interested in fighting the hype and have no problem waiting a couple of years. So for now I picked up a 19 rebel for 45k. The rebel is decent off road with Duratracs, small lift and rear lockers. It does everything I need it to do and so far I am very happy. I will say the interior comfort and the ride is way better than any of the Jeeps I have owned, I get in the 17's MPG with mixed driving with the 33's and 3.92 gears.

With that said I will be getting a gladiator because of the "cool" factor. I have had Jeep's for years and even back when they were cold in the winter and were horrible to drive they were still "cool". IMO if you want a Jeep but are looking for a quiet, silky smooth ride the gladiator may not be for you. They are lightyears ahead of the old ones but solid axles are only going to offer so much comfort. If you don't mind the price, ride and quirkyness of a Jeep, and value " form over function" this may be the truck for you.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
So I am waiting on a gladiator because I'm not interested in fighting the hype and have no problem waiting a couple of years. So for now I picked up a 19 rebel for 45k. The rebel is decent off road with Duratracs, small lift and rear lockers. It does everything I need it to do and so far I am very happy. I will say the interior comfort and the ride is way better than any of the Jeeps I have owned, I get in the 17's MPG with mixed driving with the 33's and 3.92 gears.

With that said I will be getting a gladiator because of the "cool" factor. I have had Jeep's for years and even back when they were cold in the winter and were horrible to drive they were still "cool". IMO if you want a Jeep but are looking for a quiet, silky smooth ride the gladiator may not be for you. They are lightyears ahead of the old ones but solid axles are only going to offer so much comfort. If you don't mind the price, ride and quirkyness of a Jeep, and value " form over function" this may be the truck for you.
Did you mean to say "FUNCTION over Form"? After-all, the Form is not as important as its Function, but of course its Form adds to its Function . I still struggle a tiny bit about the DT vs. Gladiator, and even the JLU for that matter - but my focus, for now, is the JT ! SIZE is a Factor living in an Apartment AND wanting to garage the Jeep, whichever it turns out to be ! Where it takes me and the "roads/trails" used is also a big factor via Size too. Enjoy the Rebel, it's a cool truck too !

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
She who must be obeyed summed up this argument/discussion easily. She said "If you buy a full size truck, I won't drive it". End of discussion.
My wife is the opposite. She said if I buy a Gladiator she wont drive it like she wont drive my JKU Wrangler. The loose steering, an wondering from the SFA & big tires, as well as the fact it blows all over the road in the wind has her terrified of driving it. The "Jeep" dosen't handle like a normal modern day vehicle so you might want to have her test drive one (be sure to take it on a HWY/Freeway) before committing to the purchase.

Why buy something with single-digit fuel economy?.
Fuel economy is terrible if you plan on any mods on the Jeep. My JKU averages 13 MPG between city/hwy with 35s on it. As soon as you start adding steel bumpers and bigger tires the V6 is way more affected by the added weight then any V8 will be.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
My wife is the opposite. She said if I buy a Gladiator she wont drive it like she wont drive my JKU Wrangler. The loose steering, an wondering from the SFA & big tires, as well as the fact it blows all over the road in the wind has her terrified of driving it. The "Jeep" dosen't handle like a normal modern day vehicle so you might want to have her test drive one (be sure to take it on a HWY/Freeway) before committing to the purchase.

Fuel economy is terrible if you plan on any mods on the Jeep. My JKU averages 13 MPG between city/hwy with 35s on it. As soon as you start adding steel bumpers and bigger tires the V6 is way more affected by the added weight then any V8 will be.
No worries she drove a 97 TJ for years. She is aware of the Jeep quirks.

Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot

My wife had Jeeps before me, so the bigger fear is that me getting a Gladiator will result in her demanding a new JLU. She’s already broached the subject...but may be willing to think about an older 2 door.

I watch the weight VERY carefully. On 35’s my JKU is still averaging 17ish

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
My wife had Jeeps before me, so the bigger fear is that me getting a Gladiator will result in her demanding a new JLU. She’s already broached the subject...but may be willing to think about an older 2 door.

I watch the weight VERY carefully. On 35’s my JKU is still averaging 17ish
I would think that if you are willing to pay $60k for a p/u, you aren't concerned about the price of gas or your mpg.

But then again, I never understood why anyone would buy a noisy, smelly diesel Mercedes sedan back in the 80's.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
I would think that if you are willing to pay $60k for a p/u, you aren't concerned about the price of gas or your mpg.

But then again, I never understood why anyone would buy a noisy, smelly diesel Mercedes sedan back in the 80's.
There is ZERO chance that I’ll be paying $60k for a Gladiator. Low $40’s for a lightly optioned Rubicon will be my limit. It’s careful budgeting that puts me in a financial position to be able to buy this truck...Besides that, fuel economy isn’t just about money, it’s also about being a good steward of resources

OP
OP

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Fuel economy is terrible if you plan on any mods on the Jeep. My JKU averages 13 MPG between city/hwy with 35s on it.
Wow my 700+ HP Trackhawk averages 16-17 MPG highway (and I drive it like I stole it ) and around town can get 13 driven easily racing stop light to stop light. Granted I have 305's which are one 20 inch rims.. maybe a 30ish tire.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
For her it is difficult to park and drive a larger/wider vehicle.
I love this picture... Exactly my perception of a Jeep over SUV and Pickup truck. No extra body parts! Plenty of space to open the doors in the parking! It doesn’t need to be fancy it needs to be functional!!!

BD6AE6F9-C24E-4237-B86C-DA74755B1674.jpeg

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
ill just buy the manual thatll stop my wife driving it;)

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
The gladiator is a lifestyle vehicle
This pretty much sums it up. A Gladiator is for people who want a Jeep but need a truck, or just want both, or just need both. Someone else already mentioned it, all trucks look alike... mostly true.

I like the size, the open air, the capability, and the originality.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
For her it is difficult to park and drive a larger/wider vehicle. She has depth perception problems. The bigger vehicle is problematic at best. For me the alternative is her driving my Vette or our 10 year old MDX with 200k miles. Both are not good options. And as always, happy wife happy life.
i completely agree. I don't want a full size truck, blah.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Let's just pick this apart at the thread title and end it now.

The JEEP GLADIATOR is a Pickup,

so this makes no sense, IT IS BETTER!

you're welcome...:LOL:
Sponsored