Sponsored

So was the Gladiator the first modern Jeep Pickup? Because...

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
I like the rear bumper/lower fender armor. Whats on the top left side of the rear bumper, is that for water or extra fuel?

It's a really early prototype for a quite precarious trail toilet. It wasn't very popular and resulted in multiple lawsuits for both inflicted chaffing and public indecency. It was scrapped shortly after.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Comanche was made until '92. I would totally rock @JcrOffroad ’s build:
Jeep Gladiator So was the Gladiator the first modern Jeep Pickup? Because... download.jpeg-1
I like how one can fit bikes in the bed of the Comanche with the front tires attached and the tailgate in the closed position where the bikes and the tailgate itself are protected and a back up camera wouldn't be hindered by having to have the tailgate down as it is with the new Gladiator. JEEP should have considered this when designing the new Gladiator.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I like how one can fit bikes in the bed of the Comanche with the front tires attached and the tailgate in the closed position where the bikes and the tailgate itself are protected and a back up camera wouldn't be hindered by having to have the tailgate down as it is with the new Gladiator. JEEP should have considered this when designing the new Gladiator.
I agree. I would love to have a 2 door Gladiator with a 6.5 ft bed and the same wheelbase as the current one. But 2 door trucks just don't sell in large numbers anymore so I doubt Jeep will do it.

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I agree. I would love to have a 2 door Gladiator with a 6.5 ft bed and the same wheelbase as the current one. But 2 door trucks just don't sell in large numbers anymore so I doubt Jeep will do it.
Yup, CAFE regulations killed the small mid-sized truck. If manufacturer's still made 2 door "short" bed pickups they would still sell. Many think the small regular cab trucks went away 'cause no one wanted to buy them but that isn't the case.

Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Yup, CAFE regulations killed the small mid-sized truck. If manufacturer's still made 2 door "short" bed pickups they would still sell. Many think the small regular cab trucks went away 'cause no one wanted to buy them but that isn't the case.
I thought cafe standards were all about fuel efficiency. How are small pickups targeted and large pickups not?

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I don't see how CAFE regulations would have an impact on this. Quad cab trucks and standard cab trucks are both in the same category and should get almost identical mileage and if there is a difference the lighter standard cab truck would get slightly better mileage. Could you provide more information on this?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The CAFE standards forced all the cars to be smaller and more efficient. People still want big cars, so they now buy SUV'S and Trucks. Two door trucks are in low demand, from the larger buying group, due to a lack of inside space.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The original Jeep pickup appeared in the late 1940s. It was called the Willys Jeep Truck.
AC746A2F-1812-4E26-A801-27A3B400B536.jpeg

BTW, why am I not able to format text on here any longer?

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
The CAFE standards forced all the cars to be smaller and more efficient. People still want big cars, so they now buy SUV'S and Trucks. Two door trucks are in low demand, from the larger buying group, due to a lack of inside space.
Right so it's not because of CAFE regulations, it's because of customer preference. Two door trucks sell in lower numbers so fewer models are offered in 2 door models.

Also CAFE didn't get rid of large cars, consumer demand did. People tend to either want a smaller more efficient vehicle or the want a larger more truck like vehicle. Fewer people want a full sized sedan now a days.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I thought cafe standards were all about fuel efficiency. How are small pickups targeted and large pickups not?
You and every other logical person is the U.S. would think that the smaller the vehicle the better the fuel efficiency but its has to do more with saving the "big three" (at the time) auto manufacturers from foreign competition and becoming extinct.

The bigger the footprint of the vehicle the less manufactures are punished by the CAFE regulations, especially if it's a "light truck". Read the attached article back from 2012 and you will learn the real story of why all we see on the car lots these days are crew cab pickups with tiny beds.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
Yes, cars but not light trucks.

The bigger the footprint of a "light truck" vehicle the less manufactures are punished by the CAFE regulations. Read the attached article back from 2012 and you will learn the real story of why all we see on the car lots these days are crew cab pickups with tiny beds.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I don't see how CAFE regulations would have an impact on this. Quad cab trucks and standard cab trucks are both in the same category and should get almost identical mileage and if there is a difference the lighter standard cab truck would get slightly better mileage. Could you provide more information on this?
Raad the attached article and you will be enlightened (and maybe pissed).

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
The original Jeep pickup appeared in the late 1940s. It was called the Willys Jeep Truck.
Jeep Gladiator So was the Gladiator the first modern Jeep Pickup? Because... AC746A2F-1812-4E26-A801-27A3B400B536

BTW, why am I not able to format text on here any longer?
...and it was considered modern at the time.
Sponsored