Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator Is the Most Reliable Car Consumer Reports Has Tested

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-je...ost-reliable-car-consumer-reports-has-tested/

Jeep Gladiator The Jeep Gladiator Is the Most Reliable Car Consumer Reports Has Tested Jeep Gladiator reliability Consumer reports

The Jeep Gladiator Is the Most Reliable Car Consumer Reports Has Tested

February 19, 2020

In its first year of production, the Jeep Gladiator made a huge splash in the market in more ways than one. Not only was it a new adventurer’s vehicle that no one seems to regret, but it also proved to be pretty reliable as well.

Consumer Reports used their yearly survey data to determine which automotive brands ranked the highest or the lowest when it comes to being reliable.

How Consumer Reports calculate a brand’s ranking

Consumer Reports gathers data from owner surveys on several models for each brand. They will take the average predicted reliability scores for each unit and come up with the overall score for the particular brand. This year, Mazda came out on top with a score of 83.

There has to be enough data gathered for at least two models of a brand for it to get placed in the rankings. Some models, this year, rose in the ranks, like Buick, who went 14 positions up on the list, which is an improvement from previous years where it went down.

Others fell down significantly like the Mini, which went down 13 positions. The Lincoln, which fell 11 places on the list, is rated with the poorest reliability ranking.

Consumer Reports uses a 0 to 100 point scale to determine where a vehicle’s brand places on their list. Most average ratings would fall within the 41 to 60 points. They also include whether the brand went up or down in rankings from the previous year.

Where Jeep is at on their reliability list

The Jeep brand received an overall score of 41 out of 100 possible points. This score falls within the average range and places them in the 19th spot on the list and puts it up seven spots in the rankings. The models used to determine Jeep’s rating were the Renegade, Compass, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and the Gladiator.

Consumer Reports felt the model that had the poorest reliability score was the Renegade. Based on the data received from the owner’s surveys, it ended up with only 19 points. The previous models had significant issues with the climate system, paint job, body hardware, power equipment, and some minor engine problems.

The Jeep Compass model didn’t fare much better, but the Wrangler saw a decent amount of improvement over the last year. Jeep’s Cherokee and Grand Cherokee came in second and third in the brand with scores of 31 and 48. But the best-rated model was the Gladiator.

What the Jeep Gladiator offers consumers

In its first year, the Gladiator managed a perfect score of five out of five for predicted reliability. With the collected data, it received an overall score of 99 out of 100 possible points. This is what helped Jeep jump up to the 19th spot and kept it from falling further down because of the poor scores from the Compass and the Renegade.

In Consumer Reports testing, the 2021 Gladiator ranked No. 2 in the compact pickup truck segment with eight total trucks competing. Fuel economy ratings are low, but still competitive within the class, with 13 mpg on city roads and 23 mpg when traveling on the highway.

The cabin offers rugged-looking features and a combination of hard plastics, padded material, and sturdy equipment. With optional packages, you could add a leather-wrapped steering wheel, intricate white stitching, and vinyl-wrapped steering column.

Under the hood is a standard 3.6-liter V6 motor that has plenty of power for towing up to 7,600 lbs with the right equipment. As an option, you can upgrade the motor to a 3.0-liter diesel V6, producing 260 hp.

With the Jeep Gladiator’s excellent predicted reliability rating, it boosts the Jeep brand up seven spots on the Consumer Reports brand reliability list. If the other models in the brand could improve several points, we could see Jeep higher up the list in the future.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Nice to hear although I have doubts ...

In any event it was posted by Motorbiscuit which is basically a group of marketing interns swilling starbucks and crunching granola in a loft office sitting on bouncy balls between yoga sessions behind two N95 masks ...

They generally report on other published reports or comment on other peoples comments ...

Consumer reports publishes an article and then they review the review ... Meh not for me ...

But I digress ...

This does not really make a ton of sense as the wrangler rates way lower ... Arent they based mostly on the same components and technologies ? How can one get 99 and the other get xx ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Nice to hear although I have doubts ...

In any event it was posted by Motorbiscuit which is basically a group of marketing interns swilling starbucks and crunching granola in a loft office sitting on bouncy balls between yoga sessions behind two N95 masks ...

They generally report on other published reports or comment on other peoples comments ...

Consumer reports publishes an article and then they review the review ... Meh not for me ...

But I digress ...

This does not really make a ton of sense as the wrangler rates way lower ... Arent they based mostly on the same components and technologies ? How can one get 99 and the other get xx ?
Magic

But the JT does have SOME differences, different parts needed for a truck platform, etc, might make the difference

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This must be a joke or fake newsđŸ€Ł.
Clearly they did no research into all the issues/ TSB on the Gladiator.
I'm sure if they tested one with the constant ongoing engine misfire, like I & many have, their opinion would be much different.
I love my gladiator but I would not call it the most reliable vehicle on the market for sure.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised. Motorbiscuit seems to hate Jeep. Thought they’d be looking for an excuse to slam them.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Motorbiscuit seems to hate Jeep.
But I'm sure they LOVE clicks . . . not much else matters anymore.

Edit: ratings matter too.

truth, objectivity, impartiality . . . media doesn't give a rats ass anymore about these.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
99/100 is second place among lite trucks

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer Reports is total garbage, regardless if they nail or praise Jeep.

Their survey sampling methodology would fail a Market Research 101 class.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Funny...this thread started the same day JD Power named the Nissan Frontier the best mid-sized truck.

I love my JT and have had zero issues compared to others but there's no way in hell it's actually most reliable. Oh well, we take the good with the bad and annoying!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, Consumer Report’s timing is suspect. Chances are they were trying to take the wind off JD Power’s Press Release.

Between the two studies, I’d trust Power’s results over CR’s.

JD Power goes through the trouble of mailing surveys to a randomly selected group of 3-year owners. That in itself makes all the difference. Consumer Reports surveys its own “member” base, to whom they already recommended to buy/not to buy vehicles, biasing the results.

Also, because JD Power surveys owners after three years, it provides a better read on long-term durability than Consumer Reports does after 12 months.

The drawback in JD Power’s methodology, of course, is that Gladiator won’t appear in the study results for at least another two more years.
Sponsored

Last edited: