First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Looking for a fun weekend sight-seeing trip across New Jersey without the highway? Why not check out the Trans NJ Trail! At over 460 miles long you are sure to see something amazing. Like a McLaren on a dirt road... gotta love NJ. Here's how my personal adventure across this beautiful state went.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT Screenshots_2022-02-17-09-50-34

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1101211641_HDR

Who would have guessed you could do something like this across NJ? Not me, and my wife was born here and we've lived here together now for 8 years. With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, skipping the highway that could take me from one end of the state to the other in just a couple hours for a much longer backroads adventure sounded fun but also like the unknown. I came across an article about this trail on OK4WD.com but when it's time to finally go for it, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. For those of you wondering, I planned a 3 day event out of this but I highly suggest taking 4 days in total to see it all without rushing. (My first day was 15 hours behind the wheel.)

What do you pack for a multi-day vehicle trip? Thousands of avid off-road enthusiasts would say the number one thing to bring is a friend and another rig. While I technically agree, there's something so freeing about going at it alone. A few months before this I took a passenger across the country to Moab and completed a couple Jeep Badge of Honor trails and did some off-roading in Arches National Park. We didn't bring another rig along but it was nice to have an occasional spotter and "hey, what's that noise?" checker. But besides that, I have thousands of miles logged all by my lonesome. And yep, I've been there. Stuck in above door-height water with my shoes off and pants rolled up digging winch line out and over to a safe recovery point. At least there was no one to be embarrassed infront of. And sure it's just New Jersey, you're never too far from help.

You have to be prepared for anything when you're alone. So on this weekender I had my food and cooler for a few days worth, all my camping gear including stove and extra tarps/blankets, a full set of recovery equipment including traction boards, d-rings and soft shackles, a snatch block, tree savers, winch, and what I like to call my anti-u-turn kit which consists of an electric chainsaw with 2 extra batteries, a few gallons of gas, a shovel, pickaxe, hatchet, and some chains along with a hi-lift tractor jack. Oh. And I still had a companion.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105210818a_HDR

The route can be taken in either direction, but I think starting in the North provides the best views. That's because you get to start with the beautiful sunrise over High Point State Park and end days later with the sunset in Cape May.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105210818_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105210823b

From the start, you make your way down winding and hilly roads and find yourself driving through a single lane park and campground. I was there on a perfect Fall day and watching the leaves roll up into the air as I drove by was refreshing and I already knew this trip would be great. Not far past the start you reach the very first off-road trail and it truly is a gatekeeper. Many guides state that this trail is completable in a regular sedan and that cannot be further from the truth! This very first 100ft of off-road is a rock garden, likely put in place to avoid erosion of the hillside. You will likely need 4WD here as you climb basketball sized rocks at a good incline of about 10 degrees. I was on 35"s and a 4" lift and went straight into 4lo to be safe.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105211033a_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105211058_HDR

After that though, the majority of the day is various paved or gravel backroads as you wind past historical sites. There were only a handful of vehicles on my first day on the trails, a few people at each site taking photos or having a picnic but nothing too crowded. Even at the waterfall that seemingly comes out of nowhere to say hi. Additionally, this trail is popular with adventure-bikes so drive safely and keep your eyes peeled as they zip by.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105211055_HDR

Before reaching my day 1 stopping point there was one more trail that really got in the way. Severe erosion here will prevent anyone without careful preparation. There was what looked like a stream running straight down the middle of this once gravel through road that forces you to straddle a 2ft drop with water running underneath. That wouldn't be so much of a problem if it didn't wind back and forth. I gave it a good try in 2wd and did get stuck, but 4lo brought my back up in place and I continued on. I will add a note, some trails have signs that say something along the lines of "no way through" but I believe that's just for safety so my mom doesn't try to use it as a shortcut to the store. All my research appears to show that it's still legal to take even with the posted signs. At the end of day 1 I was close enough to home to call it and sleep in my own bed.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1105211205

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106210840

On day 2 I met up with the NJ Jeep Association (njjeep.org) as they made a club event of driving this middle portion of the trail. We started right where I left off the night prior at Assunpink Lake and made our way through multiple counties and passed horse farms, old brick factories, and of course more historic sights. This middle section of the trail also passed what locals call the "poor man's safari" which takes a dirt road outside of the Six Flag Great Adventure animal exibits. We saw quite a few animals in there, I'm sure on a Summer day it's a neat way to see some animals up close without a crowd.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106210945a_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106211220

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106211246_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106211426_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1106211438_HDR

On this day 2 there was only 1 small trail that would be any issue. In the Pinelands section there was one erroded trail that had exposed a metal pipe but continued use had crushed it and left it mangled below. One of the 2dr JKs got stuck for a moment but I think the longer wheelbase kept most of us out of trouble. We used a spotter to guide us around the sharp part of the pipe and had no more issues.

The NJJA ended the day at a very nice semi primitive camp in Wharton State Forest. It needs to be reserved in advance but had a large parking lot to fit the whole club, plenty of flat tent areas, and a small outhouse which I did not even attempt to brave. That night we had a small campfire and ate warm food and chatted late into the night. There was a pack of coyotes that made their way around us that night but never came close enough to see. Other campsites are within earshot but we couldn't see each other which was nice for a campground. The next morning was relatively short for the club, making our way to Moore's Beach to end the ride.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211508

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211515a

But then I was off again by myself to finish the trail on day 3. In reality it only took a few more hours and I made it to Cape May Lighthouse just in time to see the sunset. This remaining section is all paved backroads and neighborhoods except for one small dirt trail connecting road.

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211529_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211652_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211706a_HDR

Jeep Gladiator The Trans New Jersey Trail in a JT 1107211707

This was a great weekend and it was nice to be with myself and my dog just listening to music and thinking about life and just taking it all in without any of the daily distractions. I would love to know that someone reading this takes the trip one day, and I myself can't wait to do it again.

I know I'm not the best writer, I ramble a bit and I'm sure I left out some good info. Please comment or ask anything that comes to mind about this trip or my rig or past experiences. Here's a link to the original article that got me started:

https://ok4wd.com/blog/traveling-the-trans-new-jersey-trial/

For those of you looking for the GPS route, I used a link from a user post on this thread:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/the-official-trans-nj-trail-thread.19163/

Just be aware the route changes and gets updated do to various conditions including construction and the hunting season.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sarge_Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Thank you for posting this. I am a fellow NJ Jeeper and this is awesome! I had no idea this was possible in NJ and will look into doing this

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Thank you for posting this. I am a fellow NJ Jeeper and this is awesome! I had no idea this was possible in NJ and will look into doing this
Thanks! I know the NJJA plans to do it again this year but I'm not sure the dates, I do know you have to be a member but they are a pretty good group of people and the club itself is a registered 501c3 non profit. Either way tag me and maybe I'll come along!

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Thanks! I know the NJJA plans to do it again this year but I'm not sure the dates, I do know you have to be a member but they are a pretty good group of people and the club itself is a registered 501c3 non profit. Either way tag me and maybe I'll come along!
what beach was that? I just moved into the NE and have been looking for a driveable beach…

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Hell saw the title and thought. Turnpikes and toll roads. 🤔 :CWL:🤬:jk::jk:

Right…the Trans New Jersey Trail: I-95 or the Garden State Pkwy.

In all seriousness, this looks great…definitely on the list of weekend expeditions.

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
I was actually surprised it can be done without touching the highway, especially in South Jersey where the State is so thin. It just weaves through neighborhoods instead.

The beach pictured is Moore's Beach. While it's technically drivable, the first 2 rigs got stuck instantly and we decided to back off. That and you MUST preplan getting there with the tides. High tide makes the mile long access road completely impassable.

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
A couple other beach driving options in NJ would be near Island Beach State Park in Toms River, but you need the fishing permit and it requires a full list of fishing gear. You don't have to set up to fish but it has to be with you.

Then there's the shows, Wildwood Jeep Invasion builds their own obstacle course on the beach that you can drive on.

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
Thanks, Ethan! This is definitely on my summer short list. It sounds like a good way to spend some time in NJ while I’m there.

Sponsored

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Thanks for posting this and appreciate the time you took to write it and include the pics. I’m not too far into PA and spend time over there in Barnegat all the time. I grew up over in Salem County and know the Pine Barrens well. This trail is on my list for this year!

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Nice write up, Ethan. I'm hoping to do the whole ride this year.

Great pics! I can just see the front of my Gladiator in one of them!

I know "pre-covid" you could also get a permit to drive on a couple of beaches in Brigantine, but like Island Beach State Park, it can be a bit pricey.

GoFastGoFish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX L2 Billet, 2021 JLU Willy's , 2020 X5 G05
Question .. is all of this wide enough for a TRX by any chance ?
Sponsored