Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon

Trade Sport for Rubicon

• Total voters

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I hear you, I think you would be better served with a Mojave unless you are going to be doing mostly and significantly challenging rock climbing...With Mo you get that rear locker Off Road + BLD (of course), a better shock set up, and a better ride Vs Rubi on the pavement and any terrain that doesn't involve rock climbing. And all the levels of trim you want too (get the leather seats they are really nice)...If you want the best stock/from factory rock-climber Rubi is the best, but with MO you just get a better all round package and I doubt yo will find your self wishing you had a front locker much at all or if ever...Just my opinion.
He wants the best off roader, not the best desert runner. 4:1 and front locker are way more useful in general off road situations than bypass shocks that really only matter on high speed runs.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
It's Friday and I've got a terrible idea floating around in my head, would like to know y'alls thoughts. Short version below.

To long; Didn't Read:
Return to stock built up Sport and trade for Rubicon.
OR
Swap Sport axles for UD44/Currie axles. (Or build up Sport axles)
OR
Don't be an idiot and keep the Jeep as it sits.

Title says it all. I'm coming up on about 1.5 years with my Sport. While I love my truck, I'm kind of feeling the itch to upgrade to a better set up. I keep eyeing the Rubicon's like the dude from the distracted boyfriend meme 😅 .

1668819107965.png

The full story.

When I first bought my Jeep, I figured that I would be happy with the Sport as my initial plans were more suited for some mild fire roads/over-landing type of off-roading, with my Jeep being my daily driver. I got VERY lucky with my initial purchase as I found a nicely equipped Sport (basically a overland without leather) with everything that I wanted done (at the time). Paid about 2k less (42k after TTL) than other similarly equipped trucks, and it came with a winch, steel bumper, side steps, 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires as a bonus.

64727197322__7EE62B02-2C4E-4F22-837B-034A81EC1D8B.jpg

This is my first truck that has had 4 wheel drive, so I finally got to do some proper 4 wheeling with some of my local 4x4 clubs.

And the Jeep bug bit me HARD.

This is some of the most fun I've had with a vehicle in my life, I'm always looking around for 4x4 events that I can go to, I get to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery, and I get to hang out with some awesome people. It's been a blast. I also got to enjoy my other favorite past time, wrenching, especially with how deep the aftermarket is.

This is where I messed up, I didn't think I would go as crazy with the MOD's as I did. This is how my truck sits only a year and a half later after several trail rides. I never expected to build it up to this point, but I didn't think I would get as deep into this hobby as I did. (I'm on 37's now btw). With the exception of the motor, trans, and some body panels, I've basically touched every bolt on this thing.

IMG_5409.JPG

Now I'm at the point where I want lockers. I haven't NEEDED lockers, but after hanging out with the Rubicon crowd, I'm getting a little bit of Jeep envy. And I would feel more confident in tackling some of the tougher obstacle's that I've decided to bypass before. I would also be getting the 4:1 transfer case and stronger axles. There would be other benefits that I would like to get out of it, like the nicer interior bits, leather seats, 8.4 radio upgrade, and other things the Rubi's get. Something like this.

1668816496732.png

It would take me about 2-3 weekends to return to stock, and then I could take my time swapping my parts onto the Rubicon once I trade in my truck.

The good:
  • My truck is PAID OFF. (Music to my ears).
  • It's built. I haven't needed lockers yet, they would have made some things easier, but they're a want.
  • I have most of my stock parts (I would have to source a plastic front bumper)
  • I did most of the labor myself, minus gears ($900). Minimal losses money wise, the time isn't a big deal as I enjoy wrenching. Power tools definitely helped.
  • I can (mostly) return to stock. The Tazer would have to go with the truck because of the re-gear (4.88). I have access to a cheap set of sport wheels with 35's if it dosen't drive right on a set of 33's that I have sitting in the shed that I would be willing to part with.
The Bad:
  • I would be selling my first Jeep. I feel guilty, it's such a nice truck! And it will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first Jeep. (This is the biggest hold up).
  • I would have a loan again, about 15k. KBB says the truck is worth 35k, although I see these trucks listed for 46k by dealers all day. But trying to sell private party for 40 would be a major PITA. I've found a few Rubicons that I like for around 46k (would be a small road trip) with the same millage I have, so ~50 after TTL.
  • Rates suck now, best I've gotten is 4.6 %. I could just pay it off early like the last truck, but the point still stands. I usually finance for 6 years, but I try to pay them off around the 2 year mark.
  • I have to put the truck back together again, lots of hours, although I don't mind it. But those are still weekend I would have to spend wrenching instead of doing other things.
  • I'm SOL with some parts and would have to buy them again or sell them. I wouldn't have a use for my APEX links, and MAYBE my front and rear bumpers if the new truck has the steel front (I would keep it, fits better in the garage) so they would get sold. I would have to re-purchase my gears ($2000, although now I could go to 5.13's), a new programmer, and re-do the bed liner (can't exactly take it off).
  • Trading a truck that has (so far) been rock solid, for another that I have no history with. A minor concern, but still a possibility that I could get a lemon.
  • Not the best financial decision trading in a perfectly good truck for the same one with better options, although if we all wanted a financially responsible pick-up truck(?), we would all have stock Honda Ridgelines. Or a Prius.
The alternative:
  • Keep my Sport, which I still love, have no truck payment, wheel it, maybe break it, and just swap for a UD44 or Curie axle with lockers when the day comes. From what I've seen, these axles run around the 10k mark, but they're stronger that the Rubicon. Or Rubicon take off axles if I see a good deal. Dropping 10k for axles is a big ouch! vs a 3 year finance of 15k for a whole new truck that comes with more stuff.
  • Just build the Sport axles, they're worth upgrading? (I'm not sure about this part).
  • Or just leave the truck alone, lockers are over rated and you don't need them. (I'm open minded)
What are y'alls thoughts? I'm feeling a bit crazy and may need some sense beaten into my skull.
The axle difference between a Sport and a Rubicon is not the same axle difference you get with a Sport Wrangler with the 30 in front. They'd be worth upgrading as is. If you were gonna swap, go all the way to tons and then run 42s

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Whether you need, or even want, the 4:1 transfer case depends on what you do. If rock crawling, even with the long wheelbase making the JT the worst of the Jeeps for that activity, yes, you may want/need it. I use low range mostly to go slow on trail up/downgrades in the desert/mountains. I had two JKU Rubicons and found that in low range the transmission was in 2nd or 3rd or speed was much slower than I wanted. Thus, I came to prefer 2.72:1 for my use.
I can't imagine how low 1st gear must be with 4:1

I have a 2.72:1 with 5.13s and I feel like it will go more than 45° no problem in 1st gear

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine how low 1st gear must be with 4:1

I have a 2.72:1 with 5.13s and I feel like it will go more than 45° no problem in 1st gear
It’s fantastic. I have 4:1 with 5.13’s, which equates to a 96:1 crawl ratio. It’s so good.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I hear you, I think you would be better served with a Mojave unless you are going to be doing mostly and significantly challenging rock climbing...With Mo you get that rear locker Off Road + BLD (of course), a better shock set up, and a better ride Vs Rubi on the pavement and any terrain that doesn't involve rock climbing. And all the levels of trim you want too (get the leather seats they are really nice)...If you want the best stock/from factory rock-climber Rubi is the best, but with MO you just get a better all round package and I doubt yo will find your self wishing you had a front locker much at all or if ever...Just my opinion.
I do love the looks of the Mojave more, that truck was really high on my want list, so much that I was one signature away from buying a brand new white fully loaded one at one point (the 60k sticker scared me off at the last moment). I live in the desert so there's plenty of dunes and rutted roads to drive down so I figured that would have been the best choice at the time.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon 1668978267784

I week after I walked away from that truck I stumbled on my truck online a week for a much better price for me at 42k with the lift, winch and tires done, shipped all the way from Minnesota. I added some Mojave take off suspension to make a "Mojave-Lite".

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_4423.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_5699[1].JPG

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_4958.JPG

It's been great for when I'm out around the sand dunes we have out here, but I've found myself getting more into rock crawling on the trips I've been taking the last few months. That 4:1 is really tempting, especially after watching my old man's Gator JTR just cruise up the boulders on the last trip. Anything I had to bump or throttle out of, he just cruised on by, he almost looked bored.

Jeep Gladiator Thinking of trading my Sport for a Rubicon IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5699[1].JPG

jetrocker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, C7 Corvette, MGB, AH Sprite
Occupation
Owner - Auto Service Center
I think you'd get a big dose of buyers remorse after a few months of having basically the same truck, but at least $15K more in debt. Maybe wait another year and see how you feel...could be by then interest rates might be down again and maybe even the dealers would be more hungry to cut price if supplies are then higher.

dsundy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You’ve got a paid off truck! That’s the coolest mod of all. Don’t fall into the trap of the next shiny “thing”

If you’ve really got the bug, then just continue to build what you currently have. Sweet ride btw!

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
It's Friday and I've got a terrible idea floating around in my head, would like to know y'alls thoughts. Short version below.

To long; Didn't Read:
OR
OR

Title says it all. I'm coming up on about 1.5 years with my Sport. While I love my truck, I'm kind of feeling the itch to upgrade to a better set up. I keep eyeing the Rubicon's like the dude from the distracted boyfriend meme 😅 .

The full story.

When I first bought my Jeep, I figured that I would be happy with the Sport as my initial plans were more suited for some mild fire roads/over-landing type of off-roading, with my Jeep being my daily driver. I got VERY lucky with my initial purchase as I found a nicely equipped Sport (basically a overland without leather) with everything that I wanted done (at the time). Paid about 2k less (42k after TTL) than other similarly equipped trucks, and it came with a winch, steel bumper, side steps, 2.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires as a bonus.

This is my first truck that has had 4 wheel drive, so I finally got to do some proper 4 wheeling with some of my local 4x4 clubs.

This is some of the most fun I've had with a vehicle in my life, I'm always looking around for 4x4 events that I can go to, I get to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery, and I get to hang out with some awesome people. It's been a blast. I also got to enjoy my other favorite past time, wrenching, especially with how deep the aftermarket is.

This is where I messed up, I didn't think I would go as crazy with the MOD's as I did. This is how my truck sits only a year and a half later after several trail rides. I never expected to build it up to this point, but I didn't think I would get as deep into this hobby as I did. (I'm on 37's now btw). With the exception of the motor, trans, and some body panels, I've basically touched every bolt on this thing.

Now I'm at the point where I want lockers. I haven't NEEDED lockers, but after hanging out with the Rubicon crowd, I'm getting a little bit of Jeep envy. And I would feel more confident in tackling some of the tougher obstacle's that I've decided to bypass before. I would also be getting the 4:1 transfer case and stronger axles. There would be other benefits that I would like to get out of it, like the nicer interior bits, leather seats, 8.4 radio upgrade, and other things the Rubi's get. Something like this.

It would take me about 2-3 weekends to return to stock, and then I could take my time swapping my parts onto the Rubicon once I trade in my truck.

The good:
  • It's built. I haven't needed lockers yet, they would have made some things easier, but they're a want.
  • I did most of the labor myself, minus gears ($900). Minimal losses money wise, the time isn't a big deal as I enjoy wrenching. Power tools definitely helped.
  • I can (mostly) return to stock. The Tazer would have to go with the truck because of the re-gear (4.88). I have access to a cheap set of sport wheels with 35's if it dosen't drive right on a set of 33's that I have sitting in the shed that I would be willing to part with.
The Bad:
  • I would be selling my first Jeep. I feel guilty, it's such a nice truck! And it will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first Jeep. (This is the biggest hold up).
  • I would have a loan again, about 15k. KBB says the truck is worth 35k, although I see these trucks listed for 46k by dealers all day. But trying to sell private party for 40 would be a major PITA. I've found a few Rubicons that I like for around 46k (would be a small road trip) with the same millage I have, so ~50 after TTL.
  • Rates suck now, best I've gotten is 4.6 %. I could just pay it off early like the last truck, but the point still stands. I usually finance for 6 years, but I try to pay them off around the 2 year mark.
  • I have to put the truck back together again, lots of hours, although I don't mind it. But those are still weekend I would have to spend wrenching instead of doing other things.
  • I'm SOL with some parts and would have to buy them again or sell them. I wouldn't have a use for my APEX links, and MAYBE my front and rear bumpers if the new truck has the steel front (I would keep it, fits better in the garage) so they would get sold. I would have to re-purchase my gears ($2000, although now I could go to 5.13's), a new programmer, and re-do the bed liner (can't exactly take it off).
  • Trading a truck that has (so far) been rock solid, for another that I have no history with. A minor concern, but still a possibility that I could get a lemon.
  • Not the best financial decision trading in a perfectly good truck for the same one with better options, although if we all wanted a financially responsible pick-up truck(?), we would all have stock Honda Ridgelines. Or a Prius.
The alternative:
  • Keep my Sport, which I still love, have no truck payment, wheel it, maybe break it, and just swap for a UD44 or Curie axle with lockers when the day comes. From what I've seen, these axles run around the 10k mark, but they're stronger that the Rubicon. Or Rubicon take off axles if I see a good deal. Dropping 10k for axles is a big ouch! vs a 3 year finance of 15k for a whole new truck that comes with more stuff.
  • Just build the Sport axles, they're worth upgrading? (I'm not sure about this part).
  • Or just leave the truck alone, lockers are over rated and you don't need them. (I'm open minded)
What are y'alls thoughts? I'm feeling a bit crazy and may need some sense beaten into my skull.
Nice Jt by the way ! It sounds to me like ypu coukd do a couple upgrades on your current Jeep and save thousands and time you could be out enjoying it? I have both a Sport s and a Rubicon both diesels I don't do anything extreme anymore but haven't been anywhere in the Rubicon that i couldn't take my Sport. Just a thought good luck making that decision

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I vote for adding in some ARB/OX lockers front and rear and call it a day. The vehicle market is dumb right now lol

Sponsored

Griff21

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE, 1978 CJ5, 2020 JLU Rubicon
At the end of the day its your vehicle, but it will be much cheaper to add lockers etc. Plus you get to keep your first jeep, the price on sentimental value is strong for me.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Told this story to my wife. She said i should just buy a mohave rather than rebuild the sport to be like a mohave. So everyone has an opinion.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

To long; Didn't Read:
OR
OR

1668819107965.png

The full story.

64727197322__7EE62B02-2C4E-4F22-837B-034A81EC1D8B.jpg

IMG_5409.JPG

1668816496732.png

The good:
The Bad:
The alternative:
Personally, if I were in your shoes- stick with what you got. Definitely look at going Dana 60’s… having built hd44’s or “ultimate 44’s” in the past- still only good for 37” tires- and even then stuff still breaks…. 60’s and you are set to 40/42” tires….

the convenience of elockers are nice. ARB’s are better…. I missed if you are intending to go manual or auto trans- and what your current Jeep is. Manuals and elockers suck even worse…. By design the elockers use a depression…. Most people don’t realize this - one because most drive autos…. And two, you probably won’t realize until you are off camber need to NOT have a tire unlock…. And you then feel it…. Elockers will allow for a bit of tire slip unless you are able to keep them under load. This is why the arb pin system is way better…. ARB put out a YouTube video 3-4 years ago explaining with visual what I’m trying to describe- I’ll post the video if I can find it…

not sure I would waste money on the rubicon transfer case either…. Go twin stick atlas for sure.

Dr. Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive

To long; Didn't Read:
OR
OR

The full story.

The good:
The Bad:
The alternative:
With all the effort and money you've put into it, just enjoy it and save your money and time.

OP
OP
Zero_Accel

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Thanks so much for all the great advice you guys have put into the thread, I really appreciate it! Never expected it to get this popular, lots of perspectives to hear from!

I've decided to hold off on trading in for a few more years, and just enjoy the truck and see if I can find the limits.

Thanks!
Sponsored