This makes me uncomfortable

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Yes, my father fought in the Pacific.Theater. At wars end he saw brand new Jeeps being pushed off the deck of ships into the ocean.
Yes, I just learned of it today. Wow! Thank you for your family service.

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I drive on the beach alot and I cringe at the thought of driving through salt water. I rusted out a few undercaraiges in my day just driving on the sand.

I used fluid film on the JT.

Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable IMG_1244
Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable IMG_1246
Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable IMG_1245

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I had my MJ shipped back to USA in 98 it went to a USMC base. I think that they moved it off the ship, like a beach landing. Then parked in storage lot right off of beach. Unluckily I didn't get back to States until it had been there for a month. Now I can look at the ground though the floor.:crying: another reason why I don't like some under coatings on vehicle's you can never see or stop the rust when you find it.
Oh the branch of service rivalry's Navy / USMC vs Army

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How do you feel about super-salty mud that's composed of dead fish? Salton Sea, CA.

Jeep Gladiator This makes me uncomfortable IMG_1245
Heard today those are like two feet of fishbones from an annual die off. Not just smelly, but chemicals

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Yeah that's pretty much how it works there. Not sure what you mean by chemicals, since everything is a chemical, including the salt. There are some PCBs that come from Mexico into the lake, but not a huge amount. You're not going to be eating the mud...

The die-off is from a variety of reasons, mostly to do with nitrogen/oxygen/phosphate imbalance.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah that's pretty much how it works there. Not sure what you mean by chemicals, since everything is a chemical, including the salt. There are some PCBs that come from Mexico into the lake, but not a huge amount. You're not going to be eating the mud...

The die-off is from a variety of reasons, mostly to do with nitrogen/oxygen/phosphate imbalance.
DDT, pesticides, in the soil from early years. The water will dissolve a plastic water bottle, what I heard. I'm focused on chemicals that could dissolve or rust part of a vehicle...

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The water will dissolve a plastic water bottle, what I heard.
Absolutely bullshit. As kids, we swam in it for years, and boated/camped there 20 times a year. The fish were great eating, and huge. More recently I've actually picked up bottles of the water, and containers of the "sand" for people in other places who just couldn't believe what it's become there. No damage to plastics.

I've spent the last 10 years wheeling in this area a few times a year. It's great wheeling, truly unique. If I see Anza-Borrego on a youtube video, I can spot it and the location immediately.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Absolutely bullshit. As kids, we swam in it for years, and boated/camped there 20 times a year. The fish were great eating, and huge. More recently I've actually picked up bottles of the water, and containers of the "sand" for people in other places who just couldn't believe what it's become there. No damage to plastics.

I've spent the last 10 years wheeling in this area a few times a year. It's great wheeling, truly unique. If I see Anza-Borrego on a youtube video, I can spot it and the location immediately.
It is cool and can be a great drive if youctime it, what he said. I spoke with a guy today who said he has been there recently. He said he took a sample bottle of water and it disintegrated. Perhaps it was this new auto disintegrate plastic? Anyway, I looked around. Found an interesting read here:

https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/coloradoriver/water_issues/programs/salton_sea/

Salton Sea was once famous for its sport fishery that has since declined, along with its recreational uses. The Sonny Bono National Wildlife Refuge is located along the Pacific Flyway, serving as a stopover for migrating birds, including several state and federal listed endangered and threatened species. The Refuge was established as a waste sump for agricultural drainage in 1928, and in 1930, a portion of the south end was designated as a wildlife refuge to preserve wintering habitat for waterfowl and other migratory birds. Mass die-offs of birds and fish have occurred in past years, raising concern for the future of these beneficial uses.

Snip

The Salton Sea Transboundary Watershed (USGS Hydrologic Unit 18100200) is the Priority Watershed in the Colorado River Basin Region. It encompasses one-third of the region (about 8,360 square miles) and contains five (out of a total of six) of the Region's impaired surface waterbodies.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I was there as a kid to watch it go to hell. It really was super nice until then. I had a lot of fun there. Now I go back and wheel around places I fished with my dad, who has died since then. You used to be able to fish and ski all day, and because the water is so heavy you'd soft of get free horsepower and get out of the water on skis much easier. You couldn't help catching fish, sometimes on bare hooks.

It's an absolute ecological and economic time bomb. If it drops a bit, you will see clouds of silica destroy the Palm Springs windmills and cause huge health problems. There's no real, budgeted plan to really fix it.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I was there as a kid to watch it go to hell. It really was super nice until then. I had a lot of fun there. Now I go back and wheel around places I fished with my dad, who has died since then. You used to be able to fish and ski all day, and because the water is so heavy you'd soft of get free horsepower and get out of the water on skis much easier. You couldn't help catching fish, sometimes on bare hooks.

It's an absolute ecological and economic time bomb. If it drops a bit, you will see clouds of silica destroy the Palm Springs windmills and cause huge health problems. There's no real, budgeted plan to really fix it.
I'll defer to you on the chemistry. I was like they should flood it again! And the guyr told me they truck in water to keep the chemistry balance. Some story about they can't let the dust fly cause it's toxic, so they keep the lake full. Glad to hear about your dad. I'm at that point where I miss mine Everytime I get in too deep, which aside from Jeeping, is frequently.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, that dust would choke the areas to the West, I think they said if the lake drops a few feet, they are boned. The plastic thing is crazy, because people drive across the edges, and it would melt their plastic fenders and stuff. Imagine what it would do to people. Nobody swims in it, but many put their feet in. And sometimes we see crazy people crossing it on a Sea Doo. Which is...plastic...