First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
As a guy who currently drives a stick shift JK and is planning to purchase a manual gladiator, would you mind sharing why you dislike the manual JT for a DD?
Not the OP, but I had a 6-speed JK and can testify that the JT is a much better feeling clutch and transmission with reverse in a much better spot.

As to why you would want an automatic for daily driving, I'm not the guy to answer that one. I won't even look at anything not available with a manual. But I can see where some people would find it more of a chore than a joy.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the title in hand?

If so, it makes it much easier to sell privately. If you don't, I'd suggest paying off the loan and getting your hands on the title.

You can use a home equity line of credit to do that if you dont' have the cash lying around. Or if you have a 401k you can take a loan against that.

Any interest you pay will be pennies compared to the difference in how much you can get selling for retail vs wholesale.

If you have 30k left to pay and you do a home equity line of credit at a roughly 4% interest rate, your payment will be. $144 per month.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
Do you have the title in hand?

If so, it makes it much easier to sell privately. If you don't, I'd suggest paying off the loan and getting your hands on the title.

You can use a home equity line of credit to do that if you dont' have the cash lying around. Or if you have a 401k you can take a loan against that.

Any interest you pay will be pennies compared to the difference in how much you can get selling for retail vs wholesale.

If you have 30k left to pay and you do a home equity line of credit at a roughly 4% interest rate, your payment will be. $144 per month.
He says he already sold it, but this is a good point. One other option is to go with an unsecured auto loan such as those offered by Lightstream. It's an auto loan, but you get the title right away and there are no liens involved.

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Sold - Ended up selling to a Ford dealer of all people. Got 38K for it. Not too shabby for a 2020 that had an MSRP of $41,170. I lost money in the lift, Wheels and tires but I'm okay with that.

Now to order my new Rubicon
Yeah you generally lose. This is why I let my stock parts hide in the back of my garage if I ever sell. I wrench em on barely and trade it in. Now you have a ton of mods to throw on the next one

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Not the OP, but I had a 6-speed JK and can testify that the JT is a much better feeling clutch and transmission with reverse in a much better spot.

As to why you would want an automatic for daily driving, I'm not the guy to answer that one. I won't even look at anything not available with a manual. But I can see where some people would find it more of a chore than a joy.
Seconded. We have a JK and a JT as well

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Sold - Ended up selling to a Ford dealer of all people. Got 38K for it. Not too shabby for a 2020 that had an MSRP of $41,170. I lost money in the lift, Wheels and tires but I'm okay with that.

Now to order my new Rubicon
Did the exact same thing with my MT and basically only had to pay for the cost of the auto on the new truck. Whatever you get, going to the 4.11 gears is huge.

As to the question of why move away from the manual, the gearing in a non 4.11 geared truck is rough. First and reverse are fairly tall and just took a lot of attention to not stall.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He says he already sold it, but this is a good point. One other option is to go with an unsecured auto loan such as those offered by Lightstream. It's an auto loan, but you get the title right away and there are no liens involved.
That's an option. Options are always good. But please correct me if I'm wrong but an unsecured loan is going to have a higher interest rate. Since its essentially just a personal loan.

Though if you refinanced into it just to get the title in hand for a sale, it the extra cost would be irrelevant.

On a broader topic, this is why I tell everyone to get a home equity line of credit from their mortgage company at the tiem they close on their home. The value of the HELOC and first mortgage gernerlly can't exceed 80% loan to value. So if you are less than 80% on the first mortgage, you can get a HELOC for the balance between your LTV and 80%.

There is usually no cost to you unless you actually carry a balance. Its like emergency money with zero carrying cost.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Houston Traffic. I drove a manual in Houston Traffic once and that was all it would ever be was once.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
That's an option. Options are always good. But please correct me if I'm wrong but an unsecured loan is going to have a higher interest rate. Since its essentially just a personal loan.
Currently 2.49% on new or used.

Their rates are usually very competitive with conventional secured auto loans.

LightStream | Loans for Practically Anything

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

bilcol8122

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired
If you can find a '21 like I did you can get 0% interest for 36 mos. or 1.9% for 48 from Chrysler Capital.

OP
OP

STLMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR, 20 JLU, 900whp C6
Did the exact same thing with my MT and basically only had to pay for the cost of the auto on the new truck. Whatever you get, going to the 4.11 gears is huge.

As to the question of why move away from the manual, the gearing in a non 4.11 geared truck is rough. First and reverse are fairly tall and just took a lot of attention to not stall.
I did get the Rubicon with the 4:10's.
The M6 Transmission was geared terribly with the 373's. When I put 35's on it, I knew I made a mistake, it was a dog. I could have re-geared but still, I'd have a manual transmission that I wasn't happy with. It made strange noises on shifts and the clutch recall "software fix" turned me off.