Sponsored

Tire size of spare

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, for those that have removed their OE tires, has anyone upgraded the spare too but with a different brand? I have KO2s.....not sure I see the need of sticking a new full sized KO2 under the truck. That just seems a little silly or does it?

what ya all think.....spend $250 on the spare or $150 on an “off” brand spare?
Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I always added the same height spare just a little narrow. This gives you the height if needed to run but not so much hanging down when stored and less expensive.

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I run 37s with a fullsize spare tire, wheel with tpms underneath. I want all 5 identical so I can rotate the spare in for even wear. I have seen too many neglected (dry rot or underinflated) spares not ready to go when needed. This wear, they are all maintained. To each his own.

OP
OP

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I run 37s with a fullsize spare tire, wheel with tpms underneath. I want all 5 identical so I can rotate the spare in for even wear. I have seen too many neglected (dry rot or underinflated) spares not ready to go when needed. This wear, they are all maintained. To each his own.
I see the sense in that other than the fact that when buying new, you always have to buy 5.

the other thing is in the event you have a blow out, you will end up having to buy 2 anyway. Those that don’t rotate in will only need to buy one.

Well now that I think of it, you will need another full sized spare anyway :)

Sponsored

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I've been waiting to hear this exact thing as there was speculation, etc. for a while now (or, at least, on the threads I've read over whether this can be done or not) with 37s. Do you have to underinflate the spare at all? I've been driving around without a spare since I purchased mine and it's made me a little nervous on some of my farther drives. Any additional information you can share would be much appreciated; I'll be adding my spare ASAP. I just didn't want to spend the money on a wheel/tire that sits in my garage as I, also, don't want to carry it in the bed. Thanks!

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've been waiting to hear this exact thing as there was speculation, etc. for a while now (or, at least, on the threads I've read over whether this can be done or not) with 37s. Do you have to underinflate the spare at all? I've been driving around without a spare since I purchased mine and it's made me a little nervous on some of my farther drives. Any additional information you can share would be much appreciated; I'll be adding my spare ASAP. I just didn't want to spend the money on a wheel/tire that sits in my garage as I, also, don't want to carry it in the bed. Thanks!
I understand and I too did not want to fill the bed with a tire. It seems not all 37s fit, but my 37KM3s do fit at road pressure (37). The is a running list on here about which 37s fit and which don't. Of course wheel combos and tire pressure have their influence. My wheels are 17x8.5.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
will have 35's on and a 33 spare the little difference in size will not matter If it needs to be temporarily used. And I don't need to Rotate 5

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I understand and I too did not want to fill the bed with a tire. It seems not all 37s fit, but my 37KM3s do fit at road pressure (37). The is a running list on here about which 37s fit and which don't. Of course wheel combos and tire pressure have their influence. My wheels are 17x8.5.
Do you have a matching wheel? The stock steel one is the correct size but the steel wheel doesn't match so I do not want to rotate it in and have a mismatched wheel 80% of the time. If i change wheels I would like a matching spare but the way it mounts under the truck I do not want to damage it either

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Same aftermarket wheel and same tire that is on the 4 corners.

I do a 5 tire rotation.

The spare mounts pretty side up in the stock position, if you damage it, you've broken a LOT of other parts first.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have 37x12.50s on my JT, but have a 35x10.50 spare. Hopefully I won’t ever need it, but plan to limp home or to the store on the slightly shorter tire if I do.

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
will have 35's on and a 33 spare the little difference in size will not matter If it needs to be temporarily used. And I don't need to Rotate 5
I was actually wondering about doing the same... mounting a 33" on the spare steely in case of emergency. So, this will work, correct? And there's no major issues that could arise in using the spare when necessary?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have the Rubi take offs on mine and the guy I bought them from had 5 rims somehow so I just got anther matching Faulken and mounted it so if I do get a flat I can have same size tire and rim or I can rotate them if necessary.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Hey guys, for those that have removed their OE tires, has anyone upgraded the spare too but with a different brand? I have KO2s.....not sure I see the need of sticking a new full sized KO2 under the truck. That just seems a little silly or does it?

what ya all think.....spend $250 on the spare or $150 on an “off” brand spare?
I ended up buying 4 BFGs used to see if I liked them. I just picked up a used tire in the same size so I would have the same size spare. I got that one mounted up at a road side tire place and they couldn't believe I was removing a new tire. I don't think they understand how lockers and such work and that having different diameter tires would be a problem.
I don't plan to rotate the spare in. I honestly believe that if you replace the spare tire every other full tire change that you will have spent the same money as buying 5 each time. Now, this won't work if you don't drive enough and that spare is hanging under there for 15 years. But that really comes down to maintenance just the same as oil changes and air filters.
To answer your question for an off-road vehicle I would advise a full size spare but it doesn't have to be the same brand.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
$45 clapped out 35" MT mounted on the steel wheel under my bed, new 35" Toyo ATs on the factory alloy wheels all around. The date code of the spare should last the life of my new Toyo ATs and work in a pinch. On Wranglers I ran 5 matching wheels and tires, but didn't see the value of it on the Glady.
Sponsored