To Solenoid or Not

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Just bought a Warn 10-S for the Gladiator and am currently waiting on the Warn mount for the OEM steel bumper. The mount appears to be on national back order as I guess COVID got their manufacturing speed in a bit of a bind. So as I wait, I was ordering things to make the install polished and nice.

I have a SPod and I currently trigger off the ignition system so that my ARB Compressor cannot be turned on unless the ignition is running. Its a 2 phased switch system whereby I have the ARB switch power controlled by the Spod per the ignition to a Grimm Offroad mounted ARB switch. I did this so when the kids air up their bicycles, they don't kill my battery by accidentally leaving the ARB switch on with power since the only way to know its on is the LED light on the switch under the hood. Therefore I use the Spod is a power enabler to the ARB switch. It works great and exactly as I wanted it to.

That led me to think about the Warn winch. It takes a huge amount of amperage and I figure that by using the ignition trigger for power to a solenoid from the SPod, someone won't use it without the engine running (my kids). More importantly, the Warn winch doesn't appear to have a fuse of any sort. My fear is that in the unlikely event that the Gladiator is involved in some form of accident, the long run of power from the bumper to the battery leaves a lot of room for a potential short on that thick cable, and thus potential for fire. I looked at putting a solenoid near the battery that the SPod controls for power to the winch, which then does the double duty of preventing running the winch unless the engine is running, and protects the possibility for a short during accident/fire.

Any thoughts on using a solenoid in this fashion and does anyone else here do it? Warn seems to have a nice power kit for this that has everything you need. Is this a waste to do or would this be something beneficial to do?
My girlfriend also drives the JTR to move boxes etc..., so, I also did not want power to the front bumper all the time. Along with the warn winch plate, I went with the Warn power cutoff kit (solenoid) and hooked that up to my Aux Switches. All I had to do was make the bracket. The rest was super easy. It works perfectly and I a glad I did it for peace of mind. The warn winch plate is super solid, great mounting plate. Here are some pics for you.

Additional info: I sourced the sting grey bolt for the bracket from my RSE step install which uses the fender pinch seam bolt hole, so, I had an extra one. I used Velcro fuzz on the bottom of the bracket so that it did not scratch the paint. Take the air box out to route the battery cables. I grounded the solenoid to the stock ground right next to the mount.

Note: I also used the Maximus 3 Warn Zeon filler plates (for the back of the winch) and the Maxiums 3 license plate holder. I swapped out the warn fairlead mount (with license plate holder) to the Mopar fairlead mount (which does not have a license plate holder).

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not ffCuDP

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not EClVg9

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not ceeW83

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not UcbHhQ

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not Myy2sS

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not 2VdJve

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not zqXTTP

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not CmS9

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not rtGb1C
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
That’s super clean. You just gave me ideas... I bought an angle iron with predrilled holes but yours has a near OEM look. I’m gonna probably head back to the hardware store and get a metal bar to do what you did. It’s simple and small. Nicely done.

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
This mount may not be perfect, but it was free!
(Ignore the 4 holes on top of the shroud 😎)
Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not A70538E4-0BE3-44D0-9943-EC4A57594607

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
So here is what I ended up with...I used some steel 14g angle bracket from the hardware store.... the angle already had holes so no need to drill anything. I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut it to size. I used hjcda's idea about the felt. I got some square felt pads for furniture and cut it to size. I think it turned out rather nice...

26 degrees outside...I need it to warm up a bit before I can install the winch...

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not IMG_4262

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited: