Sponsored

tonneau Cover started lifting at sides when on highway

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
My 2021 is less than a month old with 750 miles on it and the cover is already sagging, allowing water to pool. And the sides lifts up while on the highway.

Going to take it in to the dealer. No way this is acceptable. It's not even 30 days old.
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
My 2021 is less than a month old with 750 miles on it and the cover is already sagging, allowing water to pool. And the sides lifts up while on the highway.

Going to take it in to the dealer. No way this is acceptable. It's not even 30 days old.
Hello @Riccochet
We certainly agree that this is concerning! Please know that our team is available to offer additional assistance during any dealer visit. If you face any difficulty in addressing this concern, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Kathryn
JeepCares

studiodfw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Photographer
I purchased a take off OEM Roll Up Tonneau cover from a member on the forums. Like new condition, it was a factory option that didnā€™t work for his build. I installed it myself with zero issues but I soon realized that I was having several of the issues associated with this cover. It gaps in the middle and collects pooled water, which would make it eligible for replacement under the TSB if only I had purchased it directly from Mopar. I have spoken with both my dealer and FCA customer service and they refuse to even discuss standing behind their defective product because it was purchased from a third party. I feel like this is an attempt to circumvent responsibility on the part of Mopar. A dealer could easily verify that the it is an OEM part and installed correctly, Mopar has admitted that it made an error when it manufactured the part. I understand the intent of the policy but for Mopar to have zero flexibility or interest in helping me resolve the issue whatsoever leaves me frustrated. I hope that @JeepCares will take a different approach and help to resolve the issue.

GLDHE8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2007 JK, 2006 Daytona
Occupation
Retired Mechanic
Took mine to the dealer on Wednesday with 3 issues Tonneau, Steering, and Gas overflow. The only one they will fix at this tine is the Tonneau. I have contacted Jeep Cares on the other issues.

20201014_163037.jpg

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Wow, that's a HUGE gap. Apparently mine was built differently, because all I see is a small flapping bit around the middle. So confirming, there's some sort of difference.

Sponsored

Missionsparta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram
Hello @Riccochet
We certainly agree that this is concerning! Please know that our team is available to offer additional assistance during any dealer visit. If you face any difficulty in addressing this concern, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Kathryn
JeepCares
@JeepCares You helped me with this issue about a year ago. They replace the cover, but over the past three months the same issue is occuring again. I can push the seal down on the sides like they should be, but after high way speeds, it lifts and then instead of curling at the edge to seal it, it stays straight out. Same issue as the one replaced. It's almost as if the cross braces are cut to long and as soon as it has to resear the edges after being lifted by the wind, the can't return because of the length of the cross braces.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
@JeepCares You helped me with this issue about a year ago. They replace the cover, but over the past three months the same issue is occuring again. I can push the seal down on the sides like they should be, but after high way speeds, it lifts and then instead of curling at the edge to seal it, it stays straight out. Same issue as the one replaced. It's almost as if the cross braces are cut to long and as soon as it has to resear the edges after being lifted by the wind, the can't return because of the length of the cross braces.
Sorry to hear that! We can certainly discuss further with you if you send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
The clamps or screws that hold the sides of the tonneau cover to the rails have enough of a gap in them where air can flow up under it, I wouldn't think that's a good situation. If you're using screws, you might use some Locktite on the threads and cinch the screws down tight. If they are clamps of some kind, you need to tighten those up in some fashion, some of the clamps turn clockwise to make them fit tighter.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I haven't had the lifting problem, but today when I went to open it to carry a load, I found this mess.

Jeep Gladiator tonneau Cover started lifting at sides when on highway 1631135396105

And then when I went to strap it to the front, one of the straps came right off. Turned to powder. My Jeep is parked outside, but then, so was my convertible which survived it just fine.

Jeep Gladiator tonneau Cover started lifting at sides when on highway 1631135382871

Sent a photo by text to my SA and haven't heard anything back.

Saharacane

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Dog Dad
Does anyone have the actual TSB? Im struggling to find it and I have my truck at the dealer today.
Hey Matt,
I'm in DE too and am having this issue with my Tonneau cover now. Just curious what dealer you usually take yours to for service. I go to Carman in New Castle and love them.
Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Matt,
I'm in DE too and am having this issue with my Tonneau cover now. Just curious what dealer you usually take yours to for service. I go to Carman in New Castle and love them.
Thanks,
Mike
I use IG Burton im Smyrna. Ive had a handful of dealings with the carman group and every single one was terrible. Im glad you're faring better!

as far as the tonneau cover is concerned. It hasn't worsened or improved in any way since I made that post last year. Makes me think that the lift Im seeing is normal.

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I haven't had the lifting problem, but today when I went to open it to carry a load, I found this mess.

Jeep Gladiator tonneau Cover started lifting at sides when on highway 1631135382871

And then when I went to strap it to the front, one of the straps came right off. Turned to powder. My Jeep is parked outside, but then, so was my convertible which survived it just fine.

Sent a photo by text to my SA and haven't heard anything back.
This is happening to mine as well. Did you get a warranty replacement?
Sponsored