Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
So if you were going to go with a hardshell camper top it would need to extend above roof height in order to fit without hanging over the back.
GladiatorBedrack2.jpg

This is my dilemma.
I just bought a Roofnest Eagle ( https://roofnest.com/product/2019-eagle/ ) and it is about 83” long so it will definitely extend over the front cab.
The overall design is very aerodynamic so I’m hoping that even though it will be higher it won’t increase the drag too much.

Bob, could you do a rendering with a flat rack that will have a black Roofnest on it extending over the cab with a Granite Rubicon?? Pretty please ;-)
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Here is a low profile bedrack with a rooftop tent as suggested.This is about as low as I would want to make one and still have enough visibility and storage.
GladiatorBedrack1.jpg
Man, I wasn't a huge fan of this blue on a wrangler, but it looks balls on a gladiator!

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
So if you were going to go with a hardshell camper top it would need to extend above roof height in order to fit without hanging over the back.
GladiatorBedrack2.jpg
That's the #1 reason that if I can talk my wife into letting my turn the '8r into an overlander, I will be going with a soft tent. I'm a *huge* soft-top guy - most of the cars I've owned in my life have been roofless - and can't imagine giving up any toplessness for the sake of a slightly 'better' tent... Heck, I'd go all 2008 and sleep on the ground in an regular tent before giving up my #toplesslife...

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
This is my dilemma.
I just bought a Roofnest Eagle ( https://roofnest.com/product/2019-eagle/ ) and it is about 83” long so it will definitely extend over the front cab.
The overall design is very aerodynamic so I’m hoping that even though it will be higher it won’t increase the drag too much.

Bob, could you do a rendering with a flat rack that will have a black Roofnest on it extending over the cab with a Granite Rubicon?? Pretty please ;-)
GladiatorBedrack3.jpg

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Reactions: SKT

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@Bobs85Reny, very awesome for you to share these ideas with us. I'd like to make you the official top creator of the Plywood club, but I haven't seen any plywood toppers or racks yet. Pretty please, with maybe some side windows?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
@Bobs85Reny, very awesome for you to share these ideas with us. I'd like to make you the official top creator of the Plywood club, but I haven't seen any plywood toppers or racks yet. Pretty please, with maybe some side windows?
We’re gonna need to start paying @Bobs85Reny lol

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
In French, the "to" in tonneau is between "taw" and "tow" because of the following double "n"... but with some regional accent, it’s just the same "o" at the beginning and at the end like in "no"...
Are you talking about this guy?

Olivier Tonneau lectures in modern languages at Homerton College, Cambridge. He has published articles on Denis Diderot, Blaise Pascal and Aimé Césaire. He is a member of France Insoumise (France Unbowed) and the People's Assembly Against Austerity

image-20160428-28067-1uxzsd3.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I posted this in the Leitner thread, but i think more guys frequent this one and i'm looking for opinions on if this mod i'm planning is structurally safe to the truck, and to the rack.

Looking from A and B measurements below, from the top of the deck to the top of the box would be 5.5" With only 49" between the D pillars "C", if the brackets for the diagonal supports are right above the decked box at E, PLYWOOD won't fit. So if Leitner does put them there, i'll have to modify it to mount at spot D below. I wonder if that area is structural enough to support it. I'm assuming so, with a static max load of 1000lbs, if weight is dispersed evenly, then only 250 lbs of weight at that spot......should be fine, don't you think?

Height A is 12" on all decked boxes.

Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! {filename}

Height B is 17.5"
Jeep Gladiator Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me! {filename}

C is 49" between the D pillars.

Need to fab up a new mount and shorten the diagonal support possibly.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in the Leitner thread, but i think more guys frequent this one and i'm looking for opinions on if this mod i'm planning is structurally safe to the truck, and to the rack.

Looking from A and B measurements below, from the top of the deck to the top of the box would be 5.5" With only 49" between the D pillars "C", if the brackets for the diagonal supports are right above the decked box at E, PLYWOOD won't fit. So if Leitner does put them there, i'll have to modify it to mount at spot D below. I wonder if that area is structural enough to support it. I'm assuming so, with a static max load of 1000lbs, if weight is dispersed evenly, then only 250 lbs of weight at that spot......should be fine, don't you think?

Height A is 12" on all decked boxes.

Need to fab up a new mount and shorten the diagonal support possibly.
If those angled supports are rigged to mount near the top of the bed rail, you still would only end up with room for 1-2 sheets of plywood between them and the top of the Deck. You might be better off hauling the plywood on top of the Leitner rack.

Regarding the angled supports:
If the Decked system ends a few inches before hitting the tailgate like the last pic shows (E), the supports will be able to mount however low they're designed to mount.
If the Decked system extends all the way to the tailgate, maybe you could just mount those inner supports to the top of the Decked structure itself. Granted, you'd lose some of that 49" width.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about this guy?

Olivier Tonneau lectures in modern languages at Homerton College, Cambridge. He has published articles on Denis Diderot, Blaise Pascal and Aimé Césaire. He is a member of France Insoumise (France Unbowed) and the People's Assembly Against Austerity

Ha! Ha! French surnames include Tonneau and Baril which are synonyms of barrel/cask/keg/tun... maybe given to wine addicted families!!!

But don’t do "tonneau” with your Jeep!!! (Accident implying rolling over top)
Sponsored