Sponsored

Tops! Canopy / covers / toppers / racks possibilities for Gladiator - Show me!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I contacted retrax and their tonneau coil cover canister is 9.875" tall. They don't have one for JT yet, but this will give us some idea of the canister depth

upload_2019-6-24_13-40-14.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
the Max Modular doesn't look like the first roll-n-rack in this video below, but it does do the same detent thing, where you have to pull it slightly past a spot, let it go back and it clicks into place.
At 1:04 he says maybe the most important thing, 7" canister, whereas the retrax might be 9.875" That's almost 3" more vertical space,.......THAT'S A LOT OF PLYWOOD!

I'll find out more info on the roll-n-lock, probably have an aluminum top version as well.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wait wait, hold on. Now the cust service guy from retrax is saying the mid-size trucks might not use the same canister and he'll find out. So .....i'll let you know when I know then go back and fix my previous posts.

EDIT: Fixed previous 2 posts with Taco info. Ours is probably similar once they finish making them. IF EVER....ugh

Last edited:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
Well a handy Joe could use the stock mounts for the off-road cargo managment kit, or drill holes, or use their universal clamps.

If I get my JT in time, i might be the first guy with this rack in a JT :angel:.
Their email responsiveness is not very good. I inquired about how their rack would attach to a Gladiator ... directly to stock bed rails with c-clamps, or whether it would require Jeep's 'trail rails'.

Here's what I got back ... "I haven't seen the inside of the Gladiator bed yet, so I can't say how it will attach."

I sent a follow-up email letting them know that Gladiators are now on dealer lots & asked if he had an estimate on when they might know more. I never heard back.

@steffen707 , I think their rack is the most affordable rack of its type, but I also think I might need to be a 'handy Joe' to ensure good fitment. When are you getting your Gladiator? I'm waiting for Hydro Blue, so it'll be late August before I have mine.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their email responsiveness is not very good. I inquired about how their rack would attach to a Gladiator ... directly to stock bed rails with c-clamps, or whether it would require Jeep's 'trail rails'.

Here's what I got back ... "I haven't seen the inside of the Gladiator bed yet, so I can't say how it will attach."

I sent a follow-up email letting them know that Gladiators are now on dealer lots & asked if he had an estimate on when they might know more. I never heard back.

@steffen707 , I think their rack is the most affordable rack of its type, but I also think I might need to be a 'handy Joe' to ensure good fitment. When are you getting your Gladiator? I'm waiting for Hydro Blue, so it'll be late August before I have mine.
I disagree. Their email responsiveness has been amazingly quick for me. the content of said emails has been horrible, much like you've noticed. :giggle:

I'm hopefully getting mine mid July, have some more pondering to do, but whatever I come up with for sure i'll do an expert write up on this thread or at least refer to my build thread from this thread.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got this from Roll-n-lock Their housing is 7.5" down, plus 1" for the drain tube nipple. I plan to kick this out at about a 90 to go straight out the back of the box if I go this route. Also the photo doesn't show it, but in a follow up email from customer service is that its 9.75" from back of the bed to the front of the "canister".
8.5"x9.75" = 82.875 square inches times bed width for volume.
upload_2019-6-24_15-34-5.png

The retrax uses up WAY more volume back there. 13" x 10.875 (includes drain nipple) = 141.375 square inches times bed width for volume.
upload_2019-6-24_13-40-14-png.png

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More Ben Franklin T chart action, check this video. Retrax has a retractable tonneau cover with t track built in....... A bet a handy Joe could mount that max modular to said t-track........

Last edited:

tanman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Avenger, Used to own 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Here's another retractable cover
https://www.pace-edwards.com/

and another
https://gatorcovers.com/p/gatortrax-electric-tonneau-cover/

lots of reviews said the retrax keeps more water out. Read one that the roll-n-lock didn't work when ice was on it. I live in wisconsin and have to park outdoors.......sigh....i know its impossible to find a cover with all the pros and no cons, but it seems like each is like 50/50 on pros/cons.
I wanted to reach out to pace edwards and see what their plans are for the JT... if any.
But then I ... didn't... :facepalm:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to reach out to pace edwards and see what their plans are for the JT... if any.
But then I ... didn't... :facepalm:
Got your back brosef, I emailed all these retractable guys. However pace Edward's I don't think even has a cover for Tacoma, so......

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Hey what do you all think of the rld design steel canopy? I am in need of some sort of canopy with roof rack options and I want to put my dog in the back, but i'm concerned its going to get too hot! I like that its lockable and there is a window though. Its also pretty damn expensive at over 3k. If not this, then are there any better options out there i should be looking at?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Hey what do you all think of the rld design steel canopy? I am in need of some sort of canopy with roof rack options and I want to put my dog in the back, but i'm concerned its going to get too hot! I like that its lockable and there is a window though. Its also pretty damn expensive at over 3k. If not this, then are there any better options out there i should be looking at?
pics?
Sponsored