Sponsored

Towing Black Series HQ15 Travel Trailer Camper?

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
Link to people pulling 7000 pound trailers with a JT for "very long distances"?

But first let's define "very long distances".

For me a "very long distance" would begin at 1000 miles one way.

I have pulled far too many trailers in the 7-13k class with far more capable tow vehicles than a JT to know that pulling a 5k trailer behind a JT for 1000 miles one way will be nothing but a struggle. Re-read the post I was commenting on, he's in 4th gear on mild grades, LOL that may in fact be your expectation for a competent towing experience but it sure isn't mine.
I bought mine to use as a comuter between my two addresses, they are a little over 4k miles apart and are on opposite sides of the continental divide. You couldn't pay me enough money to make that trip with a 5k trailer. 100 miles in Nebraska? Sure. 500 miles across the Midwest maybe. 2000 mile round trip including large grades and high elevations? Not on a bet.
Here I strongly disagree with you (my opinion only because I haven't towed with my JT yet). I don't disagree that YOU think it will be nothing but a struggle. But that doesn't mean others think it will be a struggle. I WILL be using my JT and towing a 5000lb to 6000lb trailer for over 1000 miles and I'm 99% sure I will be happy with it. There are people out there towing 5-6000lbs+ already and they're happy with it. If I'm not happy with it then something is wrong with my suspension/tires/drivetrain/etc. Will it struggle up hill? Yes. But I'm also regearing to 5.13s or 5.38s. Regardless, I don't need to go 65 uphill. And I'm going to really fry your brain: I'm going to take mine off-road. No idea yet on how steep and/or rocky I can go but I'm going to find out and have a blast while finding the limits of it. If I find I want to go steeper than the JT can handle then I'll have to decide to get a new TV. Just because you want to commute in your JT or have the most luxurious TV experience doesn't mean everyone else does.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Here I strongly disagree with you (my opinion only because I haven't towed with my JT yet). I don't disagree that YOU think it will be nothing but a struggle. But that doesn't mean others think it will be a struggle. I WILL be using my JT and towing a 5000lb to 6000lb trailer for over 1000 miles and I'm 99% sure I will be happy with it. There are people out there towing 5-6000lbs+ already and they're happy with it. If I'm not happy with it then something is wrong with my suspension/tires/drivetrain/etc. Will it struggle up hill? Yes. But I'm also regearing to 5.13s or 5.38s. Regardless, I don't need to go 65 uphill. And I'm going to really fry your brain: I'm going to take mine off-road. No idea yet on how steep and/or rocky I can go but I'm going to find out and have a blast while finding the limits of it. If I find I want to go steeper than the JT can handle then I'll have to decide to get a new TV. Just because you want to commute in your JT or have the most luxurious TV experience doesn't mean everyone else does.
Cool have at it.

Since you are basing that entirely on conjecture maybe you'll want to send an IM to the guy with the Black Series who is experiencing everything you hope you won't.

Hope is not a strategy.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
Cool have at it.

Since you are basing that entirely on conjecture maybe you'll want to send an IM to the guy with the Black Series who is experiencing everything you hope you won't.

Hope is not a strategy.
You haven't done it either. And I'm not telling other people they will definitely enjoy it. You, however, feel the need to state your opinion as fact.

My opinion is not complete conjecture. I've already towed 4k with my JKUR and it could handle more. The only reason I got the JT is due to its double the tow rating. It has a longer wheel base and is heavier so I expect it to tow better than the JKUR and if I was in Europe I would tow 5k with my JKUR.

Try this sometime...instead of telling people how they WILL feel you can tell people they MIGHT be disappointed. If 100 people tow 6000lbs with a JT...some will hate it...some will be OK with it and some will like it. Not sure why that bothers you.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
You haven't done it either. And I'm not telling other people they will definitely enjoy it. You, however, feel the need to state your opinion as fact.

My opinion is not complete conjecture. I've already towed 4k with my JKUR and it could handle more. The only reason I got the JT is due to its double the tow rating. It has a longer wheel base and is heavier so I expect it to tow better than the JKUR and if I was in Europe I would tow 5k with my JKUR.

Try this sometime...instead of telling people how they WILL feel you can tell people they MIGHT be disappointed. If 100 people tow 6000lbs with a JT...some will hate it...some will be OK with it and some will like it. Not sure why that bothers you.
Doesn't bother me at all, I'm providing my opinion which I qualified as proprietary and unscientific and based entirely in personal experience , I'm sorry I'm not providing the confirmation bias you seek, I'm neither going to argue with you or support your conjecture, have a nice day.

Wrathis79

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2003 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Aerospace/Defense
Doesn't bother me at all, I'm providing my opinion which I qualified as proprietary and unscientific and based entirely in personal experience , I'm sorry I'm not providing the confirmation bias you seek, I'm neither going to argue with you or support your conjecture, have a nice day.
I'm going to go ahead and jump in here. I have a '21 Mojave with the factory trailer tow group. I had the factory brake controller installed. I currently tow a 2019 E-Pro 19QBG. Dry weight is 3400lbs, with my crap in there I estimate 4000lbs total. (I'm a single guy so I keep it light). The hard truth is that I much preferred towing the trailer with my 2015 Altitude GC (4x4, same V6 drivetrain, factory tow group) and am 'considering' downsizing back down to a Nu-camp teardrop. It's not that the Mojave tows badly, it's just not near as good as the GC did. I got better mileage and could tow at a higher speed with my GC (which I have to assume is due to gearing 3.27GC vs 4.10JT). The GC felt more stable and like it didn't have to work as hard towing the exact same trailer at highway speeds. It spent more time in higher gears, down shifted less often and overall was just a better experience. Take it for what it's worth, just sharing my experience with all of you...

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
You might as well start truck shopping, or return that HQ15 for a C12.

If your truck struggles with a trailer on road, and that trailer is an off road trailer, logic will dictate that trailer is going to become a permanent fixture somewhere way off of the highway.

I say it in every one of these threads, but if you are planning on pulling a trailer that exceeds 60% of the factory "tow rating" for any appreciable distance or over rough terrain, prepare for disappointment.
I don't disagree with what you said, but let me add some real world experience.

On highway, not off road! If you have the power, and are willing to take it easy, it is possible to tow over GVW with no additional damage to the tow vehicle.

In 2001, I towed a trailer out of Alaska, down through the Rockies stopping on both sides of the range in Colorado. I then towed down through Louisiana and back up to North Carolina. In total more than 7K miles.

The GVW was 7K pounds over what the truck was rated for.

The only modification was helper air bags in the back to level the ride height.

I kept speed to 60 and lower. Going over the passes, was slow, but I got great MPG.

The truck lived to 200K under my ownership with no major engine or transmission repairs. When I sold it, it still had no smoke, and transmission was sound.

Bug out

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Does anyone have experience towing a Black Series HQ 15 yet? Just bought one. Pick up Thursday. Tips!
So some time has gone by................how is the HQ15 working out for you ??

(I considered the HQ17 or even the HQ 19)..........
heavy but they are good trailers
probably get a few comments but what the heck lets read them

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
IMO, the JT is a much better overland rig than a tow vehicle. The 3.6 is just not the right engine for towing. If you have the 3.0 diesel you will like it better. I would only tow a tear drop or explore type trailer partly due to the wind resistance of the front. If you stay at the Ca speed for towing at 55mph that would help.
I had a 31 ft TT at 8000 pounds for many years that I towed with my Rm2500 diesel and just got tired of the beat truck lanes. Now I motel with my JT.
Sponsored