Sponsored

Trail Rail question

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Alright, I’m debating adding the trail rail system.

Is it worth it? There are already 4 anchor points in the bed. I’m not an Overlander.

I noticed some roll up tonneau covers (like weather tech) clamp directly to the trail rail. Is that preferred bs the typical clamp to the bed top?

Input is appreciated!
Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Depends. If you don’t haul materials/items that require alternate mounting points no need. Alternatively the trail rails provide adjustable points for securing your payload. I have the lower cost unistrut, in lieu of, Trail Rail and use it weekly. Not all covers use the Trail Rail for mounting. I have the BAK Revolver that does not mount to the Trail Rail.

OP
OP
LouisvEarlleJT

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Ok thanks! So your tonneau works well mounted to the bed?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Do you ever carry anything large or tall where the tonneau needs to be opened? That could be a case in favor of the trail rail - so you could have a little higher mounting spot rather than always at the base of the bed - especially if it's a large box where you can't reach to the base. I think it could also be helpful for making dividers in the bed - not sure if anyone really does that though.

Steelglad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Lab Technician
I have no rail system whatsoever. I have a Revolver Bakflip Tonneau and a Tuwa Pro Moab Rack. They work FAIRLY well together. If I had the rail system, I could have ordered a slightly different Bakflip and then they would work even better together. The rail system is super nice to have and I will eventually go that route.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LouisvEarlleJT

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Do you ever carry anything large or tall where the tonneau needs to be opened? That could be a case in favor of the trail rail - so you could have a little higher mounting spot rather than always at the base of the bed - especially if it's a large box where you can't reach to the base. I think it could also be helpful for making dividers in the bed - not sure if anyone really does that though.
gotcha, mostly I just haul lumber and other lay-flat items. Helpful info, thanks!

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
If you think you don’t need it or you aren’t sure, you probably don’t need it. The only reason I got it is that I needed it to mount my camper shell (Alu-Cab).

For me, it also come in handy if I need to secure tall items (rail mounted cleats). Not needed, but they’re helpful for that.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I got the Builtright rails since I didn't get my truck with the trail rails. They are well made and I'm pretty sure cheaper than the Mopar parts.

Imo worth it, if you haul a lot of stuff. I like having the flexibility to add extra anchor spots. If you don't really haul a lot of stuff or plan on getting something like an alu cab, it's probably not worth it.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I got the Builtright rails since I didn't get my truck with the trail rails. They are well made and I'm pretty sure cheaper than the Mopar parts.

Imo worth it, if you haul a lot of stuff. I like having the flexibility to add extra anchor spots. If you don't really haul a lot of stuff or plan on getting something like an alu cab, it's probably not worth it.
That’s a good way of looking at it. It really is one of those things that you’ll find a way to use. I.e.

Jeep Gladiator Trail Rail question 52F1E617-5256-454A-919A-8AE6982DD31E

Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Here are a couple of examples for me where just the 4 oem anchor points would be less than ideal..

20220903_191306.jpg

20211216_114716.jpg

Here is a close-up of my DIY anchors. I cut up some 2" lengths of 1/8" thick aluminum U channel, 1/4-20 spring nut and eye bolt.
Screenshot_20230325_144059_Photos.jpg

cfowler55

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Auto shop owner / technician
I have the MOPAR hard trifold cover, and it makes the side tie points a little tough to get to. The front one I removed , as it was virtually useless with the cover.
Charlie

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I've been on the fence myself. I had the system on my previous RAM and never used it. I just do trips to lowes for wood and whatever for house projects. I noticed some toppers or covers can use the trail rail as an alternate which would probably make installation easier. Not sure if I can justify $300+ dollars though.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, I’m debating adding the trail rail system.

Is it worth it? There are already 4 anchor points in the bed. I’m not an Overlander.

I noticed some roll up tonneau covers (like weather tech) clamp directly to the trail rail. Is that preferred bs the typical clamp to the bed top?

Input is appreciated!
I would add them. Mine came with them.

Are you ordering the truck? If you get one with the inverter and interior outlet, adding the Trail Rails should also get you an outlet in the bed.

Dust

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPS Feeder Driver
Added trail rail system to hold my HiLift jack. Pricy, sure, but what isn’t from Mopar!
Sponsored