First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee 1997, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm doing a dash cam install (Blackvue 4k) and want to have it always powered for parking mode without splicing wiring. Some of you may be aware that there's an aftermarket trailer brake controller plug in the harness down by the brake pedal. It's a gray 4-pin connector:
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller Connector 1591367561980

It's the same as used on Dodge RAM vehicles since around 2012, possibly earlier. According to the Jeep JL wiring diagram (which is likely similar), there' s a constant fused battery connection here that can be used to hook up parking mode without splicing the factory wiring:

Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller Connector 1591367952771

There are various connectors you can buy to mate with the one in the OEM harness. The choice isn't critical as you probably won't use the other end (just cut it and splice your own wires onto it).

Something like this would work:
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3014-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B00QRWR1YI

If you're interested in making your own harness, I think I found the connector series. It's called "YESC Kaizen 6.3 Unsealed" from Yazaki:
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Brake Controller Connector 1591368189438

It took me a bit to find this information so I figured I'd post it somewhere on the internet if it ever helps save someone the effort...

Now I just have to find a place to get switched ignition power from...

EDIT:
I ask you to PLEASE not purchase the Tekonsha 3073-P braking controller wiring harness from etrailer.com at the moment, it's currently listed for $84! That's predatory right there. The same plug for a RAM should fit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have a Garmin mini which has a three wire connector to keep the parking mode active, but not have the camera fully on. This saves battery life, and SD card space/life. It's wired to the aux cables below the glovebox. Simple. I assume you don't have that option? If not, then you can grab switched power from the back of the lighter/power plug in the dash, that is ignition switched.

OP
OP
aglass0fmilk

aglass0fmilk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee 1997, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That doesn't look to be an exact fit for the OEM connector.

Getting the actual mating connector isn't too much more expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what I ordered.

I also ordered a Quadratec adapter to splice the ignition-switched 12V cigarette lighter... way overpriced at $30 but it only hurts once...