Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you ever find a quality place to relocate the 12v? I wish somebody made a 12v blank for the useless cubby underneath that non-rubicons have
My favorite option would be up in the “top of dash” cubby. That would clean up the wiring from phones and what not when using device mounts.
Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Without reading through 33 pages as I dont know if this has been covered. But between the Two Pro redarc and this mopar controller. What is the benefit of the Mopar one over the Redarc? If i read a couple of posts correctly we would not be able to install current dead pedals with the mopar unit?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Without reading through 33 pages as I dont know if this has been covered. But between the Two Pro redarc and this mopar controller. What is the benefit of the Mopar one over the Redarc? If i read a couple of posts correctly we would not be able to install current dead pedals with the mopar unit?
The Mopar controller provides the 'factory installed' look, at the loss of the 12 volt outlet. It takes up a lot of room under the dash, and can interfere with the installation of a dead pedal. It does not interface with the truck computer, so it offers no advantage over any aftermarket controller. Other than the Mopar warranty, there is no significant advantage compelling use of it over any of the competitors. I chose the Curt Spectrum for its cost and mounting flexibility.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar controller provides the 'factory installed' look, at the loss of the 12 volt outlet. It takes up a lot of room under the dash, and can interfere with the installation of a dead pedal. It does not interface with the truck computer, so it offers no advantage over any aftermarket controller. Other than the Mopar warranty, there is no significant advantage compelling use of it over any of the competitors. I chose the Curt Spectrum for its cost and mounting flexibility.
So it does the same thing that the RedArc controller does. Ie give a factory look using the 12v cigarette outlet placement. . Where as the RedArc system is a smaller unit under dash and offers extra options for off-roading with a trailer? Am I tracking this correctly?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So it does the same thing that the RedArc controller does. Ie give a factory look using the 12v cigarette outlet placement. . Where as the RedArc system is a smaller unit under dash and offers extra options for off-roading with a trailer? Am I tracking this correctly?
There are two Redarc controllers. One is about $220 and the other is somewhere around 140 if I recall correctly. The Redarc I have (will install on wife's Jeep) is the better Redarc and is dual-mode. (check their web site for details, no use me duplicating it)
It can be mounted almost anywhere under the dash.

Here are pics of my Redarc/Gladiator installation.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 18-20200915_144204_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 13-20200915_114640_HDR

I decided to use an aluminum angle as shown above to reinforce the mounting flange - this is how it looked before I put the aluminum angle in place ->

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 11-20200915_111801

Sponsored

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
There are two Redarc controllers. One is about $220 and the other is somewhere around 140 if I recall correctly. The Redarc I have (will install on wife's Jeep) is the better Redarc and is dual-mode. (check their web site for details, no use me duplicating it)
It can be mounted almost anywhere under the dash.

Here are pics of my Redarc/Gladiator installation.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Trailer Brake Controller for Jeep Gladiator Officially Released (Part # 82215652AB) 11-20200915_111801

I decided to use an aluminum angle as shown above to reinforce the mounting flange - this is how it looked before I put the aluminum angle in place ->

Yes I talking about the pro model. It’s been on my list of to dos for a long wile since it was available for the JT. That said just trying to weigh the differences here besides the knob size between the two. From all accounts it seems to me the RedArc towpro is definitely the better option between the two. Unless I find out other information I am not aware of?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I talking about the pro model. It’s been on my list of to dos for a long wile since it was available for the JT. That said just trying to weigh the differences here besides the knob size between the two. From all accounts it seems to me the RedArc towpro is definitely the better option between the two. Unless I find out other information I am not aware of?
Unless you really want the integrated look and a genuine MOPAR part, the Redarc TowPro is a fantastic controller. (great support as well)
I really can't think of any negatives.

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Unless you really want the integrated look and a genuine MOPAR part, the Redarc TowPro is a fantastic controller. (great support as well)
I really can't think of any negatives.
That’s it I don’t think the factory unit itself is that much more integrated looking than the tow pro. What I was trying to get at. Maybe a bigger knob and all but hey. Better than many other controllers that mount to bottom of the dash. And they still don’t offer any Offroad functionality pulling a Offroad trailer with brakes.

SSCHUTTE

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 gmc Sierra, 94 chevy Cheyenne k2500
Is this Mopar brake controller a self controller unit? Can I theoretically install in on the dash of any truck and use it as a brake controller?

I really like the factory look of this and I'm contemplating installing it on my GMC.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is this Mopar brake controller a self controller unit? Can I theoretically install in on the dash of any truck and use it as a brake controller?

I really like the factory look of this and I'm contemplating installing it on my GMC.
Not sure what you mean by "self controller".
If you mean if it's a standard trailer brake controller - yes.
It's like any other trailer brake controller such as Curt, Redarc (their cheaper model), Tekonsha and so on. The biggest issue will be that it requires a hole the size of the 12v outlet to mount the knob in. You can't just drill a small hole and mount it anywhere.
It is a trailer brake controller.

Sponsored

SSCHUTTE

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what you mean by "self controller".
If you mean if it's a standard trailer brake controller - yes.
It's like any other trailer brake controller such as Curt, Redarc (their cheaper model), Tekonsha and so on. The biggest issue will be that it requires a hole the size of the 12v outlet to mount the knob in. You can't just drill a small hole and mount it anywhere.
It is a trailer brake controller.
Awesome thanks! I have an idea for mounting it. I just wasnt sure if it needed to be connected to a mopar vehicle computer to function.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Awesome thanks! I have an idea for mounting it. I just wasnt sure if it needed to be connected to a mopar vehicle computer to function.
It does use factory harness connections, if that's what you are asking. And the instructions do not include a pinout or wiring diagram to attempt to wire it into an alternate vehicle.

SSCHUTTE

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does use factory harness connections, if that's what you are asking. And the instructions do not include a pinout or wiring diagram to attempt to wire it into an alternate vehicle.
Okay, I'll have to do more research before going this route. Thanks for the information.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Okay, I'll have to do more research before going this route. Thanks for the information.
If you can find one in stock locally, putting hands and eyes on one without needing to purchase would probably help answer a lot of questions pretty quickly. Good luck with the project!
Sponsored