OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Sting-Gray
Did you remove the panel or drill in place? Any tips on drilling, this is by far my favorite location
I removed the panel but with a steady hand you wouldn't have to. I used a dremel with a small bit and made a template from the spot where the 12v is. The second pic I added because there is a brace behind that panel and you want to make sure the controller is centered with it.
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I removed the panel but with a steady hand you wouldn't have to. I used a dremel with a small bit and made a template from the spot where the 12v is. The second pic I added because there is a brace behind that panel and you want to make sure the controller is centered with it.
Thanks, just one more question, does that panel just pull off or is it tied in with another panel or screws?

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, just one more question, does that panel just pull off or is it tied in with another panel or screws?
Not going to lie, it was a pain in the ass to figure out. It is tied in with the top of the gauge cluster. Probably about 14 screws total to get out. Not horrible for the person that's not afraid to tackle a more advanced project, but definitely not something for the beginner.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Was programming required to make it work?

Dealer here quoted $337 labor for "installation and programming".

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was programming required to make it work?

Dealer here quoted $337 labor for "installation and programming".
If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, I'd say do it yourself. That is a lot of money! If I were to do it again, I'd probably not remove the panel and I bet I could have it done in 30min. It is even simpler running the wire where I mounted it because the module mounts right behind it. You would theoretically only need to remove the panel right below the steering wheel and that just pulls off.

From what I have found there is a cutoff of manufacturing date for the 2020 models that need the computer reflashed. I have a 2021 sport S. I haven't towed yet but I did back up to my camper and just plugged in power. The controller lights up as it should, goes red when pushing the button and red when applying the brake. So I am assuming I am all set. Will find out for sure in a few weeks.

I do plan on taking a little video tomorrow and posting to youtube for you guys that might be interested.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, I'd say do it yourself. That is a lot of money! If I were to do it again, I'd probably not remove the panel and I bet I could have it done in 30min. It is even simpler running the wire where I mounted it because the module mounts right behind it. You would theoretically only need to remove the panel right below the steering wheel and that just pulls off.

From what I have found there is a cutoff of manufacturing date for the 2020 models that need the computer reflashed. I have a 2021 sport S. I haven't towed yet but I did back up to my camper and just plugged in power. The controller lights up as it should, goes red when pushing the button and red when applying the brake. So I am assuming I am all set. Will find out for sure in a few weeks.

I do plan on taking a little video tomorrow and posting to youtube for you guys that might be interested.
So it sounds like no programming is required. I'm good with the installation. Done many of them including a Gladiator. I think I'll do it myself. Thanks!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So it sounds like no programming is required. I'm good with the installation. Done many of them including a Gladiator. I think I'll do it myself. Thanks!
No programming is required to make the Mopar Brake Controller function. It does not integrate with the Jeep computer systems. The install is basically the same as any aftermarket controller.

There is a computer update that may be necessary if the truck was built before January 2020. There is a TSB to flash the ABS module due to an error condition that arises if the manual brake button is pushed with no trailer attached.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51180

Curt echo wireless Bluetooth break controller. I have it and it works flawlessly. No wiring, no work, no loosing your 12v outlet, no problems, no worries.

OP
OP

SLSDjeep

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Curt echo wireless Bluetooth break controller. I have it and it works flawlessly. No wiring, no work, no loosing your 12v outlet, no problems, no worries.
Just my opinion, but I wouldnt want to trust my trailer brakes to a bluetooth connection on a smart phone. I bought the mopar controller for less than that and really wasn't that much work to install.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust brake reliability to a bluetooth connection. I know it says it still works if connection is lost, but there is a lot bigger likelihood of failure with that. I actually got my MOPAR controller for less than that and really wasn't much work. Could install again in 20-30 min and a hardwire connection is the best way to go hands down.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
We've talked about brake controllers in at least 3 or 4 threads here over the year -
No trailer brake controller integrates with the JT system.
Not the MOPAR controller, not Redarc, not Curt, not a single one.
Thus there is NO PROGRAMMING ever needed on any JT for any brake controller.
If your truck was made prior to January 8, 2020 then you will need a flash to resolve an issue with the ABS freaking out and disabling stability control and other fun stuff if you use the trailer brake controller in manual mode- meaning you push the button and do not have your foot on the brake pedal.
That is because the ABS was originally programmed to sense an errant signal on the brake lamp circuit if the brake lights were not called for (as in you pushing the brake pedal)
The flash tells the ABS controller to ignore any signal on the brake lamp circuit if the pedal isn't pushed.

So - if your JT was made prior to the 8th of January, 2020 - you'll need the ABS flash to use any brake controller without freaking out the system if you press the controller's button to apply trailer brakes only (like pulling out of a sway, etc.)
If your truck was made after that date, simply install the controller.
NO SPECIAL WIRING IS NEEDED, NO PROGRAMMING IS NEEDED for any JT and any brake controller.
Only the ABS flash if your truck was prior to that date.
This applies to all brake controllers, MOPAR or otherwise.

LOCATION - I also want to keep the 12v outlet - I made an extension so I can relocate it to the area around or in the glove box. Likely inside since it won't be used often at all. I felt it more important to have the brake controller in a nice place, the 12v outlet can go almost anywhere since you don't fiddle or need to reach it while driving. Only to plug something in, or unplug it.

BTW - even dealers don't realize there's no programming needed for the brake controller. They are used to OTHER vehicles that may need it, so your dealer does NOT know better in this case.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Just my opinion, but I wouldnt want to trust my trailer brakes to a bluetooth connection on a smart phone. I bought the mopar controller for less than that and really wasn't that much work to install.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't trust brake reliability to a bluetooth connection. I know it says it still works if connection is lost, but there is a lot bigger likelihood of failure with that. I actually got my MOPAR controller for less than that and really wasn't much work. Could install again in 20-30 min and a hardwire connection is the best way to go hands down.
To each their own I suppose. I have no problem trusting a technology thats been successfully used for 20 years. (Not a dig on you, just how I see it)

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
I just ordered mine from www.bamwholesaleparts.com they have a few in stock per the email. The price has dropped considerably to $235.20. $247.77 shipped. PN: 82215652AB
Sponsored