First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
How do you perform a transmission relearn on the 8 speed in a 3.6?
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
A hard relearn is done at the dealership via WiTech devise which is connected to Chrysler and all settings put back to factory but is only done if hard shifting is felt and/or a pan drop oil change is done or full flush. From what I learned by the private transmission shop that did my flush to remove the glycol contamination in mine, a hard relearn isn’t always required but if it does, the truck would have gone to the dealership to do. If a “soft” relearn is done, that can be done during test drive after oil change or flush. Not sure how that is done.

A member here has recently asked ZF about having to do a relearn at oil change and ZF didn’t recommend relearn as this can cause problems. My private transmission shop agreed and said tech experience determines if a hard relearn or soft relearn is to be done.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Here is a possible: Disconnect all Battery Cables Both + and - (for a decent amount of time over 10 min) This should clear the memory of ECM and Trans Controller.. When you reconnect and drive it get to a safe operating environment and do several 1/2 to 3/4 throttle "hits" where the trans shifts thru 4th maybe more. The controllers should learn your driving pattern and set non-factory default shift memory. (I used Jscan for Tire size change and to clear ECM after the battery disconnect for 30+ min took it out did some "hits" and my shift pattern did change from earlier).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a possible: Disconnect all Battery Cables Both + and - (for a decent amount of time over 10 min) This should clear the memory of ECM and Trans Controller.. When you reconnect and drive it get to a safe operating environment and do several 1/2 to 3/4 throttle "hits" where the trans shifts thru 4th maybe more. The controllers should learn your driving pattern and set non-factory default shift memory. (I used Jscan for Tire size change and to clear ECM after the battery disconnect for 30+ min took it out did some "hits" and my shift pattern did change from earlier).
If that did it then every person who has ever replaced batteries would find their truck learning over again..........
When the dealer had mine apart to test the batteries, etc. - the worst that happened was I had to set the HVAC controls back to where I had them.
When you go diving in after that aux battery, you will likely, or SHOULD, disconnect the main battery up top first. That means when batteries are changed - you'd lose settings.
It would seem that it should take more than 10 minutes to do a reset.

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
If that did it then every person who has ever replaced batteries would find their truck learning over again..........
When the dealer had mine apart to test the batteries, etc. - the worst that happened was I had to set the HVAC controls back to where I had them.
When you go diving in after that aux battery, you will likely, or SHOULD, disconnect the main battery up top first. That means when batteries are changed - you'd lose settings.
It would seem that it should take more than 10 minutes to do a reset.
You are probably correct, the procedure I posted was given to me by a current fully certified Jeep technician so as I might avoid having to pay $125 to FCA via the dealership to re-program for the 35 11.50s I had on the Mojave. Before this my issue was shift points.. When using the Jscan you; after changing the tire size and anything else, go up to the ECM function and follow the instruction on the Jscan to relearn..so I did both; now the trans shifts about right; the speedo is right on; however, the MPG didn't improve that much.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That just refers to getting a subscription. Not how to.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
It looks pretty technical anyway. Mercedes has that system user friendly with tricks easy to do with the key and gas peddle that resets it all that the driver can do and is recommended being done once a month from the reading and forums I came across

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I was browsing AlfaOBD and JSCAN the other day, I'm sure I saw resets in AlfaOBD - actually, I saw a number of things that made me pull my stylus back and not "click".

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On a roll with thread resurrections I see?
Biblical proportions.

I find it interesting that on many other forums I've visited over time, and a couple car/Jeep related recently, if a thread is over a year old, they have a strong suggestion that it's an old thread, etc.
On the other hand, I can see usefulness of resurrections (not the biblical sort) if something is a question related to something in an existing post. Then you can often refer them back 10 pages to post 76 for the answer.
Sponsored