Sponsored

Trim Levels, is it worth it?

UtahJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have been doing nearly 2 months of research at this point on which trim to buy on a Gladiator I plan on getting as soon as I move in a few weeks.

I am up between the Overland trim and the Mojave trim. My end game build with this is to be able to run 35's with a modest 2.5-3.5" lift, and do some weekend warrior overlanding with a rooftop tent or maybe pull a small camper eventually but still daily drive it to work.

If I go with the overland I'll obviously feel more pressured to lift and put 35's on it ASAP, plus I'll likely opt for the leather seats + 8.5" radio package.

With the Mojave, the stock 33's and small 1" lift might hold me over since it's more "off-road capable" right out the gate, and lead me to getting a tent earlier and some lights. But it'll be the cloth interior and probably not the upgraded radio.

It seems the Sport S Max Tow is in general the option for people wanting to do their own mods/lift/etc, but that option isn't available in all the dealerships near me and I'd prefer to drive something off the lot. So ultimately, people who have bought less "loaded" Rubicons/Mojave/etc, if you could redo it, would you have gone with a nicer interior/creature comfort options package and just done the bigger tires/lift yourself? Note: I know people end up probably going Rubicon for the gears, but outside of that...
Sponsored

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
I went all in on the Mojave ... no regrets and I did order ... will be upgrading to 35s with new wheels when the tires are due ...

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Most things can be done after market but there are certain things that are either just not cost effective or you just won't ever do. Things like the seats for example. If you're somebody who really wants leather, while you can switch over to leather later it just is usually better to get from Jeep.

But literally everything can be had aftermarket, often even better. It just is a matter of how much time and work you want to do on the truck. Rubicon is a great package but you can absolutely build your truck to be better from a sport. But not everybody wants to do that.

Really just a matter of what you want to work on or not and his much time and money you're willing to put in after.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Having made the mistake of buying a sport model wrangler in the past and spending a fortune trying to build it into a rubicon, I went with a rubicon this time. I wheel mine, so I wanted the lockers, swayer disco, and 4:1 rock trak. As far as the seats, I went leather because my dogs make a mess of cloth seats, much easier to vacuum leather. The 8.4 was also a must for me, I wanted the bigger screen with the navigation for cross country trips, and the alpine speakers that come with it are awesome. So I guess it just depends if you want to pay for upgrades up front with a better trim, or pay as you build with a base model.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I’d go Mojave so that you don’t have to regear on 35s when you put them on. Plus it has wider axles for more tire clearance if/when you decide to go for 37s.

Sponsored

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Two totally different vehicles.

Overland, capable, yet built for comfort, think of an estate vehicle.

Mohave, more off off road serious, a dune runner.

What are your intended purposes?

OP
OP

UtahJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Two totally different vehicles.

Overland, capable, yet built for comfort, think of an estate vehicle.

Mohave, more off off road serious, a dune runner.

What are your intended purposes?
I want to be able to take it on some trails and set it up for camping out of it. I'm living in Utah, so it would be awesome to take advantage of the trails out here. But extreme rock crawling isn't my intended purpose (which is why I'm not really looking at Rubicons). Also want to be able to daily drive it on the highway without hating myself.

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
I will also throw this out there. When it comes time to trade or sell I feel the factory high end trim will always bring more return than a modded lower level.

OP
OP

UtahJeepGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I’d go Mojave so that you don’t have to regear on 35s when you put them on. Plus it has wider axles for more tire clearance if/when you decide to go for 37s.
Yeah, the more I look at it...the more I lean towards this. I actually for some reason thought the Mojave had 3.73 gears but am now noticing it has the 4.10 so more of a reason to go with it.

RalphTuttle

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I have been doing nearly 2 months of research at this point on which trim to buy on a Gladiator I plan on getting as soon as I move in a few weeks.

I am up between the Overland trim and the Mojave trim. My end game build with this is to be able to run 35's with a modest 2.5-3.5" lift, and do some weekend warrior overlanding with a rooftop tent or maybe pull a small camper eventually but still daily drive it to work.

If I go with the overland I'll obviously feel more pressured to lift and put 35's on it ASAP, plus I'll likely opt for the leather seats + 8.5" radio package.

With the Mojave, the stock 33's and small 1" lift might hold me over since it's more "off-road capable" right out the gate, and lead me to getting a tent earlier and some lights. But it'll be the cloth interior and probably not the upgraded radio.

It seems the Sport S Max Tow is in general the option for people wanting to do their own mods/lift/etc, but that option isn't available in all the dealerships near me and I'd prefer to drive something off the lot. So ultimately, people who have bought less "loaded" Rubicons/Mojave/etc, if you could redo it, would you have gone with a nicer interior/creature comfort options package and just done the bigger tires/lift yourself? Note: I know people end up probably going Rubicon for the gears, but outside of that...
I bought a 2020 Overland in early 2020. At the time the Mojave was not available. After owning the Overland for a year, I traded it in on a 2021 Mojave. They both have about the same interior features (leather seats, radio package, etc) - but the Mojave is simply more capable (suspension, etc) for the kind of off-roading I do (beaches, fire roads, etc). We liked the Overland a lot - but really enjoy the Mojave more.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are on the right track. I prefer ordering, but I'm lucky enough to make my JT my off road toy and not use it ever as a daily driver, so I am slowly building it just they way I like to use it. the main premise of the vehicle was to get the owners out, out of town, out in the hills,...just out. Whatever you decide, get out. Enjoy! See ya on the trails.

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I want to be able to take it on some trails and set it up for camping out of it. I'm living in Utah, so it would be awesome to take advantage of the trails out here. But extreme rock crawling isn't my intended purpose (which is why I'm not really looking at Rubicons). Also want to be able to daily drive it on the highway without hating myself.
I'm a fire/logging road, camping, and was in need of a tow vehicle, yet wanted comfort, as this is my daily driver. I went Overland. No lift, don't need it. Mojave is nice, but not what I needed. No dunes here. Minimal mods as the Overland, as delivered fit my needs. Popped on some tires and rims, some additional lighting, I can think of nothing else I NEED! Would like to add to it, but right now, it has all I need.

DSCF3836.JPG

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
<snip>...I wanted the bigger screen with the navigation for cross country trips, and the alpine speakers that come with it are awesome.
You do realize that the speakers are the same in all trim levels. The Alpine package simply adds an amplifier & the subwoofer.

Kevin

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

I went with a Mojave but I think you can run 35's no lift easy.
If I were to do it again I would consider the diesel more than I did.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You an get a Sport S, Max Tow and add everything to it to make it as luxurious as an overland except for leather.

Then you are starting out with the good axels and differential.

One other thing I would say everyone should get is the automatic 4wdtransfer case option. If you live anywhere that it snows, this is a no brainer. Its super easy in the winter to go from a clean dry road that will cause axel bind in 4H to a parking lot that is covered in snow. Nothing is better than Auto in the days following snowfall. Its like $600

If you decide on the Mojave, I'd strongly recommend against getting it with the MT (mud) tires. They are much louder on the road than the AT tires that come standard. Also all the Willy's versions come with mud tires.
Sponsored

Last edited: