Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I know I’ve looked at a few in the past, but ideas on the rod holders/tubes?
MikeyK, that rod vault that Padre has on his truck is the same we have been using on our rigs for some time now. They are great. I have the same one going on my gladiator. Thule bought the company so you can find them just about anywhere now. Here is my JK with the same rack.

2013_0408jeepwaders0005.jpg

2013_0408jeepwaders0006 (1).jpg
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
That’s some serious suspension, is the rear spring removed and replaced by the coil over. How are the attachment points reenforced, are those diff covers AEV with the logos removed, look great.

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yes the diff covers are AEV, I am not a big sticker guy. The coil springs are removed with the coil over. Bump stops will be going in where they were. There are new brackets for the mounting, I will try to get some pictures. The lift is adjustable from 2.5-5+ but I think it will be a strong 2.5 The entire existing system is also being cut out of the front. I have been impressed with the whole thing. I hope the ride is as good as it all looks.

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
MikeyK, that rod vault that Padre has on his truck is the same we have been using on our rigs for some time now. They are great. I have the same one going on my gladiator. Thule bought the company so you can find them just about anywhere now. Here is my JK with the same rack.
Don’t want to get to far off the original topic (overlanding), and I know I can look them up, but are those long enough for us 11 foot 3 weight euro nymphing guys? 😉

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
Love the trout talk! I've been a fly fisherman for about 25 years now.

Two questions about the tailgate storage:

1 - I didn't see any locks...is it lockable if you have an open bed?
2 - What is the install like? I assume you're cutting out some metal from the tailgate?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Don’t want to get to far off the original topic (overlanding), and I know I can look them up, but are those long enough for us 11 foot 3 weight euro nymphing guys? 😉
Fishing and Jeeps is always on topic with me:) It fits my 10' rods. I think max length is 10.5.

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Love the trout talk! I've been a fly fisherman for about 25 years now.

Two questions about the tailgate storage:

1 - I didn't see any locks...is it lockable if you have an open bed?
2 - What is the install like? I assume you're cutting out some metal from the tailgate?
There are 4 latches and they do not have a lock. The install is really not that bad and yes you do need to do some cutting out of the tailgate.

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Removed the front suspension for coil over prep.

Jeep Gladiator Trout Safari Overland Expedition Build IMG_0334

IMG_0335.jpg

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
A few fun challenges along the way. A new battery box was installed as the stock one is in the way, and we are going to have to make a change to the air box as that will also need to be eliminated for space for the Brackets. We are adapting bump stops as those also do not have available kits yet. Lots of cutting and grinding, but it will be worth it.

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
👍 wow, that’s gutsy on a brand new vehicle, any concerns if you have engine issues requiring warranty work that they may have reservations given those modifications?

Sponsored

jn18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GLS63, 2020 AMG GTR Pro, 2021 GT500
What was the lead time on the Black Sheep Tailgate mod/cost? Interested in seeing a longterm review on it when you have the time.

Thanks
This is one of the cooler Mods I have seen. I will also be doing this.

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
👍 wow, that’s gutsy on a brand new vehicle, any concerns if you have engine issues requiring warranty work that they may have reservations given those modifications?
The older we get, the less years we have to wait. I have built so many trucks over the years, you always wait a while to start the mods, drive around wishing it was done. Then you finally finish it and your already thinking about another rig, or you never get it to where you wanted it. I am looking forward to using this truck this year for what it was intended for. Sure there is always that chance, but I would rather start using it finished from Day one. I figure opening day of trout season is day one.

OP
OP
Trout Safari

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Got the first side coil over suspension brackets welded in, the short arm brackets removed and long arm brackets welded in.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Reactions: Mac