First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
If anybody hasn't seen this, it's a good example of what a proper tune can do and just how much true turbo lag is left in a complete street start situation, there's no brake-boosting going on here.

I would think turbo lag is less noticeable pulling holeshots.
Try finessing your way through an off-road obstacle in low rpm and you want just a smidge more cause you aren't making any power when not in the boost, then whoops! you're breaking traction in a big way at all 4 corners.

Looks like you're running about 10 second 0 to 60s. Here I am angry at my tuner cuz I can only get eight on a good day with factory gears and 37" KO2s.
Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I would think turbo lag is less noticeable pulling holeshots.
Try finessing your way through an off-road obstacle in low rpm and you want just a smidge more cause you aren't making any power when not in the boost, then whoops! you're breaking traction in a big way at all 4 corners.

Looks like you're running about 10 second 0 to 60s. Here I am angry at my tuner cuz I can only get eight on a good day with factory gears and 37" KO2s.
I get the low speed not being in boost, that's the thing with low speed and turbos. And automatics. It's not going to be in boost. That's why I supercharged my TJ vs a turbo. I would largely agree with your assessment that this diesel, and specifically turbos, isn't really as great for off road use as people seem to think. Yeah the torque is huge, but it has to be in boost. And even then, the PCM is going to limit that torque heavily so you don't snap shit.

However, the OP was originally talking about pulling out into traffic, and was attributing it to turbo lag. Several replies ago I discussed how turbo lag really isn't the issue so much as the tuning for torque management and emissions. The PCM even pulls power when you have the steering wheel cut, to an extent. I myself have experienced the lag of sometimes a couple seconds when the Jeep just isn't doing anything. The video I put in my last comment is a GDE tune with those delays tuned out, and it illustrates what the actual lag from the turbo is.

As for the video, it's not mine. He used to be a member on this forum I believe but is banned now for whatever reason. And it looks like most of those 0-60 pulls are about 8-9 seconds, not 10?

I'm not sure what you consider holeshots, I never really got the term as everybody seems to use it differently. In the video above he's just hitting the throttle from a standstill, so the turbo needs to spool up.

Here's my own video where I held the brake to build boost before letting off the brake to launch the truck. Obviously, no turbo lag then. Also to note, even with the TCS off, it still kicked on. If I had been in 4wd it probably would have been quicker. Bone stock PCM on heavy 37s

Last edited:

GoatPowder

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
You're gonna have to post some evidence or your claim is (edit) completely ludicrous. (edit)
A 703 mile range on your dash may suffice. And even then, real world hand-calculated numbers never match.

Edit: if you drove 703 miles in a constant downhill at 45-55mph, with a 10+ mph tailwind, you may get your 37 mpg.
BUT, that in no way means: "My truck gets 37 MPG!"
Best i can do you is a snap i could find, been since May since i traveled cross country. Sorry technically ended at 36.4mpg even numbers are just easier. Snap was about Oak Brook area.

Jeep Gladiator Turbo lag? Snapchat-2109530599
Jeep Gladiator Turbo lag? Snapchat-2109530599

And true to the hand calc but the lie-o-meter has been close enough so far. I bothered on my trip to Phoenix but it was always within a mile to the gallon. On my non-highway commute I'm getting around 29-30; i can get a photo of my trip meter later.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I'm not sure what you consider holeshots, I never really got the term as everybody seems to use it differently. In the video above he's just hitting the throttle from a standstill
just hitting the throttle from a standstill.

And what's with all the goats around here all of a sudden?

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Diesel requires a different driving style. Period. You can’t make a diesel run like a gas engine and vice versa. Wait for an opening and go. Don’t shoot the gap.
Sponsored