First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
When you're willing to make the jump don't hesitate, I've been tuned for 30k at this point and almost forgot about the times my truck decided 'it is a good day to die' on a left turn. The 37mpg on the highway my tuner managed to squeeze out of her was definitely a bonus, but mostly predictability is what i was seeking.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
When you're willing to make the jump don't hesitate, I've been tuned for 30k at this point and almost forgot about the times my truck decided 'it is a good day to die' on a left turn. The 37mpg on the highway my tuner managed to squeeze out of her was definitely a bonus, but mostly predictability is what i was seeking.
37 or 27 miles per gallon? 37 sounds insane does it even have any fueling on the highway? :|

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
I have 2 vehicles, one is the ecodiesel gladiator with pedal commander with 35" tires on a mopar lift and the other is my ND miata with an E85 tune, coilovers, exhaust, and some other parts.

Turbo lag is real with the ecodiesel, especially starting on certain grades where you need to move quickly. The pedal commander does help around town, especially on flat land and it's more enjoyable to drive, but it doesn't do anything to 'fix' the turbo lag.

There is a turbo, thus there is some measurable lag.

98% of the time it's fine... but there are instances when you need to learn to use brake and throttle at the same time to avoid the turbo lag.

Diesels also drive so much different than faster burning fuel that is more refined. (gas / alcohol)

My 175hp miata with 150ft/lb of torque will crush the gladiator off the line no matter what...... Tune, deleted, whatever.... JTRD's are heavy vehicles. Very heavy.....

But to 60mph it could be a toss up depending on how aggressive you get with launching the gladiator (4wheel drive / a tune)......

My 2 cents is learn to live with the lag, it's not horrible, and again 98% of the time it's not an issue.

I have one intersection that I have to cross a 4 lane highway, no traffic light, and make a left hand turn.... It starts on about an 7-8% grade, and I'll floor it from a stop and it takes the motor 2-3 full seconds to build boost... While that doesn't seem bad, it has created a few 'oh shit' situations while I see on coming traffic and I am barely moving.... starting with slight uphill grades adds boost delay for whatever reason.... I do have to leave much more space with the JTRD than I do the Miata.... for fear of death....

A pedal commander is not going to change anything in the above situation. It didn't change anything for me.... I paid 300 for it hoping it would help....

But applying brake and a lil bit of throttle just before you get going solves the issue.

It is what it is.... Overall I love it.... But if there was a 392 option JT I would absolutely trade in my JT... Gas prices whatever.... I love driving... It would be worth it.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
On 37's, I just accepted it's a Jeep on 37's and not a sports car.
Yep, it's a Jeep and I drive it like a Jeep. If I want to go fast. I just drive my Nismo.

GoatPowder

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
37 or 27 miles per gallon? 37 sounds insane does it even have any fueling on the highway? :|
A solid 37. Fueled up outside Washington, Maryland and made West of Chicago with fuel to spare, so mostly flat outside the Appalachians but i was still pleased with it.

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
If you have an educated foot you can give it a pre-acceleration blip of the throttle right before getting into it. Does wonders.

I do not like the turbo lag and I have a tuned EcoD. I think that also makes it an inferior off-road vehicle despite what the justifiers say.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
A solid 37. Fueled up outside Washington, Maryland and made West of Chicago with fuel to spare, so mostly flat outside the Appalachians but i was still pleased with it.
You're gonna have to post some evidence or your claim is (edit) completely ludicrous. (edit)
A 703 mile range on your dash may suffice. And even then, real world hand-calculated numbers never match.

Edit: if you drove 703 miles in a constant downhill at 45-55mph, with a 10+ mph tailwind, you may get your 37 mpg.
BUT, that in no way means: "My truck gets 37 MPG!"

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
You're gonna have to post some evidence or your claim is complete bullsh!t.
A 703 mile range on your dash may suffice. And even then, real world hand-calculated numbers never match.
The best I ever got was 29 going from Pittsburgh to Denver on I70. Kansas kill it. Dropped to 21. Hate that state for fuel mileage.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
It's a turbo. Not a super charger. That's basically how they work. No aftermarket device changes the physics of it all.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
If anybody hasn't seen this, it's a good example of what a proper tune can do and just how much true turbo lag is left in a complete street start situation, there's no brake-boosting going on here.

Sponsored