Two really great new reviews: Manual Gladiator review and 4K in-depth view

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Thanks! It does look like that site had the right specs. I'm just not sure i can afford a rubicon.
Sponsored

chr15m

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Random but related question, to the MT at least. Do the manuals have roll back assist or hill hold?

megamucho

First Name
mega
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Durango R/T, '18 BMW R1200GS
Random but related question, to the MT at least. Do the manuals have roll back assist or hill hold?
I have skimmed the electronic owner’s manual for the JT, and there is a passage in there about hill-hold being used for the manual transmission. I don’t recall specifics, but the description from the manual leads me to believe that it’s based on residual braking system pressure being managed by the ABS system. The JT hill-hold system only provides a few seconds of holding. My current daily uses a different approach, by using electric parking brake to hold the rear brakes indefinitely while standing. The JT could never do that since it uses a legitimate hand brake, which is my preference.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I have skimmed the electronic owner’s manual for the JT, and there is a passage in there about hill-hold being used for the manual transmission. I don’t recall specifics, but the description from the manual leads me to believe that it’s based on residual braking system pressure being managed by the ABS system. The JT hill-hold system only provides a few seconds of holding. My current daily uses a different approach, by using electric parking brake to hold the rear brakes indefinitely while standing. The JT could never do that since it uses a legitimate hand brake, which is my preference.
The hill hold works as long as the vehicle is in an “uphill” gear and your foot is on he clutch.

Sponsored

ctaudifan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Accord 3-Pedal Coupe
You're gonna make sacrifices to get the manual: towing capacity, some of the adaptive cruise control features, remote start, etc., and not to mention the increased challenge of low-speed off-roading, rock crawling, etc. The ZF auto is as good as it gets and is featured in a number of different cars, same basic box. Having said that, the only thing better than a sports car with a manual is a big car with a manual, so I'd get the manual despite the sacrifices.

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
Yep that's how I feel. Amazing how much crap I get from so many for wanting a manual.
People can give me crap all they want. I don't care, it's none of their business any more than them putting ridiculous offsets, angry grills or the biggest tires they can find on their vehicle - is any of my business.

I learned to drive on a manual 69 Mustang and a 50 Chevy p/u with three on the tree. My first two cars were manuals because I loved shifting. Been driving automatics since 95 when my first kid was born and had to trade my 240sx.

I miss the manual. Sucks in stop and go traffic though. I would have to test drive the manual Galddy before I decided. Not all shifters are fun.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey just a quick technical question. If the towing decrease for the manual is due to the clutch, couldn't you just put a better or more robust clutch in it?

leveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06unlimited (tJL)
Aside from reading the data: torque and horsepower curves are both at the top end. Not a good solution for sustained towing at max on roads with any degree of elevation challenges. A different engine built specific to the truck would be welcome considering its being marketed as best in class towing. Given that data and the reality of desired performance, its bragging rights. Towing with the manual with a reasonable load should be doable. Although, the few actual driving reviews haven't really shown the use of the vehicle (manual) at highway speeds using 5th or 6th gear. Having driven a new JL manual prior to the new gladiator release and the lack of the dead pedal is a bit telling that there may be a preemptive decision that the manual wasn't thought to be a long term offering. That being said, it shifted smooth and the clutch articulation was more the norm on newer manuals with drive by wire, hydraulic slave cylinders and hill assist. I was pleasantly surprised.
Having come from 40+ yrs of manuals including an 06 JT-L 6spd, Autos have become the better choice for towing. Lightweight clutches, flywheels and tall in the upper gearing all tuned for fuel mileage, The old school manuals are not typically found in today's vehicles. We must do our homework, put real world rational to work and go from there. If your planning on driving with a lot of weight understand the trade-offs. If moderate there will still be trade-offs but the fun factor will be there for those days your not towing. I'm still on the fence manual vs. Auto but waiting on Gator gives me some time to watch for further reviews. Good luck.and thanks for kicking tires.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aside from reading the data: torque and horsepower curves are both at the top end. Not a good solution for sustained towing at max on roads with any degree of elevation challenges. A different engine built specific to the truck would be welcome considering its being marketed as best in class towing. Given that data and the reality of desired performance, its bragging rights. Towing with the manual with a reasonable load should be doable. Although, the few actual driving reviews haven't really shown the use of the vehicle (manual) at highway speeds using 5th or 6th gear. Having driven a new JL manual prior to the new gladiator release and the lack of the dead pedal is a bit telling that there may be a preemptive decision that the manual wasn't thought to be a long term offering. That being said, it shifted smooth and the clutch articulation was more the norm on newer manuals with drive by wire, hydraulic slave cylinders and hill assist. I was pleasantly surprised.
Having come from 40+ yrs of manuals including an 06 JT-L 6spd, Autos have become the better choice for towing. Lightweight clutches, flywheels and tall in the upper gearing all tuned for fuel mileage, The old school manuals are not typically found in today's vehicles. We must do our homework, put real world rational to work and go from there. If your planning on driving with a lot of weight understand the trade-offs. If moderate there will still be trade-offs but the fun factor will be there for those days your not towing. I'm still on the fence manual vs. Auto but waiting on Gator gives me some time to watch for further reviews. Good luck.and thanks for kicking tires.
Thank you. That gives me something to think about. I'm not towing that much. The camper is 1500 with a max of 3500lbs. I will have some camping stuff in the back and things like a canoe and bikes. Nothing crazy. I'm well below the max so I think everything will be okay and it will be much more fun with a manual on daily driving assuming I don't get stuck in traffic.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Regarding the shifting, JMO, all vehicles can have a different sweet spot. Therefore, if you need to be at 6500K to have max pickup, it won't be the same at 2000K, period. It sounded like he chirped those huge tires in first and second, that is not happening in the automatic.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Thank you for posting these! I've been so curious about the manual transmission, nice to finally see a review of it.
MIKE's has been around since May . . . I know I pointed it out in the other dedicated thread asking for it to be downloaded, and thought it had !? Oh well . The MT one is interesting .

Phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
First one, just released today, is the first review I've seen of the manual transmission. I think it's really worth a view if you're considering manual.
Second time I saw this video....complete crap. The manual transmission (correct me if I'm wrong, is the same as the JL) is one of the BETTER manual transmissions available. This joker is talking about stalling out, etc...I never stalled out on the Rubicon JL I owned last year. It's unfortunate that someone post a review about manual transmissions who doesn't know how to drive one. I usually don't post Debbie downer post, but the video review is ridiculous.
Sponsored