Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4 Rebooting while driving

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just started a month or so ago. I don't drive all that often, but have been noticing that after about 45 mins to an hour, the 8.4 Uconnect radio will just reboot itself.

I am actually in motion at the time and nothing else seems to be affected.

Have to go in for an oil change in a couple weeks, but I know that the dealer will say they can't find anything wrong.

Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just started a month or so ago. I don't drive all that often, but have been noticing that after about 45 mins to an hour, the 8.4 Uconnect radio will just reboot itself.

I am actually in motion at the time and nothing else seems to be affected.

Have to go in for an oil change in a couple weeks, but I know that the dealer will say they can't find anything wrong.

Anyone else seeing this?
mine does it often, but it's usually within a minute or two of starting. i wondered if it had to do with connecting my phone/carplay. Haven't tried taking mine in yet. fine once reboots.

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Happened to me once - about 5 min into my morning commute. I only have about 1800 miles on the Jeep; so time will tell if it becomes an issue.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Have had it happen twice that I noticed it.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I have uConnect 7 and I see that about once a month

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
My OCD would kick in and have to have that looked at thankfully my 8.4 has never done that

OP
OP

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not unusual to see the 8.4 / UConnect reboot occasionally... Does not / should not happen very often but reboots do occur .... You hear this mentioned by JL owner's all the time..

@seanmh72 Do be sure that fuse F97 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) is firmly pushed down... Actually, while you are there be sure everything there is pushed down.

Undoubtedly, you will find many not pressed down all the way ............

OH, F97, if you pull it or is not pressed down properly causes UConnect to reboot.
Uh, it’s 2021, right? I paid almost $60,000 for a truck right?

brotharon

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Freelance Stamp Collector
Uh, it’s 2021, right? I paid almost $60,000 for a truck right?
I had a 2020 Ram with an msrp near 80k and it had the same issue. People with 400k Ferrari supercars have their cars burn to the ground. People with 15k Hyundai people movers have cars that last forever and never have a single issue. It isn't about the perceived value of the vehicle that is causing issues with the electronics. As systems become more complex there are more ways for things to go wrong. Systems are generally designed to fail gracefully rather than violently. An occasional reboot is not the end of days.

OP
OP

seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I had a 2020 Ram with an msrp near 80k and it had the same issue. People with 400k Ferrari supercars have their cars burn to the ground. People with 15k Hyundai people movers have cars that last forever and never have a single issue. It isn't about the perceived value of the vehicle that is causing issues with the electronics. As systems become more complex there are more ways for things to go wrong. Systems are generally designed to fail gracefully rather than violently. An occasional reboot is not the end of days.
Guess my 1986 MR2 was a better car, right?

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
A couple months ago mine started rebooting not long after I started it. Thought it was the phone being connected, then it looked more like the transition from radio to backup camera, but finally I decided that it was just some sort of bug or whatever. Took the truck in today for an oil change and to have my Select Fill Tire thing added (launch edition that hadn't had that done yet) and they said they were ordering a new radio to replace it. We will see if or how long that solution works.
Sponsored