First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Yes my setup is much more reserve power than many will need. But, on the other hand, it probably won’t be enough or many as well. The unit you linked to is a 576 watt hour system. Your CPAP should have some sort of sticker on it noting how much power it consumes. The rest is pretty simple math to see if your battery can make it all night.
It mentions CPAP in the photos but 40W seems a little low. To keep your draw that low you would need to keep your water tank heater and heated hose turned off.
Why don’t you do a test and update us on how it performs. I will hook my unit up with one of my batteries and see how much power my CPAP consumes over the course of a night.
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Yes my setup is much more reserve power than many will need. But, on the other hand, it probably won’t be enough or many as well. The unit you linked to is a 576 watt hour system. Your CPAP should have some sort of sticker on it noting how much power it consumes. The rest is pretty simple math to see if your battery can make it all night.
It mentions CPAP in the photos but 40W seems a little low. To keep your draw that low you would need to keep your water tank heater and heated hose turned off.
Why don’t you do a test and update us on how it performs. I will hook my unit up with one of my batteries and see how much power my CPAP consumes over the course of a night.
I actually planned to use it the first night I got it and just keep forgetting to bring it up stairs. I will use it tonight.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
According to my inverter my CPAP draws 80 watts. So, in theory, a 640 watt hour battery should get someone 8 hours of sleep. Not much room for efficiency loss or anything less than 100% state of charge. Please let us know how your test goes.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I normally get up very early so in turn I get tired very early so I went to bed at my normal time of 9:00PM’ish last night and since I’m off work today I didn’t get up and ended up sleeping for over 9.5 hours with one of my 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries powering my CPAP. I will continue using the battery tonight to see if it will last two nights without recharging and let y’all know. I really hope it does because I’m. It too thrilled about it turning off in the middle of the night!

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Sorry it took a while for me to get back here and update but I was able to get two full nights of CPAP use out of one 100 Ah battery with a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter. Please let us know how your system performed for comparison.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I finally used my EcoFlow solar generator the other night to power my CPAP to test it. It lasted 6.5 hours. I had the CPAP set as always, full heat and full dehumidifier. My CPAP is actually DC powered but like most small appliances uses an AC to DC converter pack when plugged into the wall outlet. My solar generator is supposed to be more efficient DC to DC and I believe it came with a cord that should work...that is my next test. 6.5 hrs is enough to satisfy the doctor and VA, but I would like more sleep on the road each night haha. EcoFlow had a generator that was bigger than the one I got, but pushing the $1000 point and I would look into the system you are designing. I was just hoping I could get away with less for my needs.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
So I finally used my EcoFlow solar generator the other night to power my CPAP to test it. It lasted 6.5 hours. I had the CPAP set as always, full heat and full dehumidifier. My CPAP is actually DC powered but like most small appliances uses an AC to DC converter pack when plugged into the wall outlet. My solar generator is supposed to be more efficient DC to DC and I believe it came with a cord that should work...that is my next test. 6.5 hrs is enough to satisfy the doctor and VA, but I would like more sleep on the road each night haha. EcoFlow had a generator that was bigger than the one I got, but pushing the $1000 point and I would look into the system you are designing. I was just hoping I could get away with less for my needs.
I bet you will get over 7 hours when you avoid the efficiency loss of converting DC to AC and then back to DC but probably not a full 8 hours. What voltage does your CPAP machine use? May still have to step it up or down.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I actually took pictures but they are on my phone and I don't recall exactly. But that definitely means the solar generator will be a dedicated power source for the CPAP only and nothing else during the night unless I chose to trade off...still don't plan on using a fridge yet. Going to see how I do with a roto molded cooler first as I don't plan to sit and camp for more than a night and should always be able to top off the ice and have plenty of opportunity to top off food supplies too.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I use Jackery Explorer 500 for CPAP. I love the compact and flexible design that makes it easy to take my travels at all times
do you use a DC to DC connection for your CPAP?

Sponsored

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
This is why I'm thinking about running 24v..

starting amperage at 12V is 7.5amps!
at 24, it would only be 3.5.
Yes a 12v system will pull less amp but your 12v 100aH system will now be 24v 50Ah.

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
That is what got me to this point. I did build my own system with 2 100ah batteries and it works but it takes up too much bed space. So I asked around and found someone who can mold the box and install the components into a smaller package. All that with a two year warranty. Why wouldn’t I say build me some and let’s test them.?
Here is my setup in my bed. 50amp dc-dc solar mppt, 3000w pure sinewave inverter and 200Ah battt and 2 100w solarpanels. I also have a Cascadia solar panel on my hood with their mppt to my truck battery.

Also my Cascadia80w system has been running my Iceco VL 65 for over a year with no issues.
Truck even sat for 15 days without starting.

20210418_161953.jpg
20210418_161953.jpg
20210207_173354.jpg

zxd9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Granite Crystal
Occupation
Software Engineer
So here are my thoughts on your project which I hope is still ongoing.

I have a Gladiator with bed rack. Everything is open to the weather (rain/sun/etc). I really would like a weatherproof setup. If the "box" could have some sort of built it slots or rings to help fasten it in place that would be great. I have added an electrical box for all my light and fridge wiring and on/off switches on the outside. My requirement for a power source is that it can provide 20+ amps of 12v power to the electrical box. My Bluetti EB70 has two 10A outputs which can work but 20A in one output would be preferable. Bluetti is not however weatherproof. I'd like to mount something and forget it.

Also, needs to be chargeable via shore power (115v), 12v vehicle outlet and solar.

Any updates on your build?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I like the idea. Was wondering about how it would handle a Snomaster fridge freezer. 65L probably.
Sponsored