First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
This sounds great... I am looking for a removable 2 battery system in the bed. Been brainstorming with my dad this weekend as he is a boat guy and has wired up multiple battery systems... we were trying to dream up this! A removable battery, charged by vehicle, solar chargeable, can run a fridge and some accessories, but not permanent. And not so crazy expensive!
Excited to see what comes out of this.
That is what got me to this point. I did build my own system with 2 100ah batteries and it works but it takes up too much bed space. So I asked around and found someone who can mold the box and install the components into a smaller package. All that with a two year warranty. Why wouldn’t I say build me some and let’s test them.?
Sponsored

JT850

First Name
Derp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2006 TJ Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
spend money I dont have on my jeep
OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
That is very similar to what I built for my first attempt at feasibility of the concept. The only thing that I did different from you is the size of the wire run from the battery and the Anderson plugs. I only used 6AWG and 60 amp fuses. My BCDC is the 40 amp model and at full power it only draws 50 amps. I also put fans and vents in my box to keep it cool. When I was in FL it was sitting in full sun all day and inside the box was about 9 degrees above ambient.
My new system has all of that except the DC-DC charger is only 30amps and my pure sine wave inverter is a full 2000w. All that AND it is in less than 1/4 the footprint of my first attempt. The two system sizes will be 120ah and 240ah. Still waiting on the final pricing and how soon I can get my prototypes for testing. But it will be a better system at a far better price point than Goal Zero is producing. I’m also working on a solar blanket panel for charging so I can package and offer a plug and play system.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
It is a sealed lead acid battery that weighs about 70lbs for $700 that takes 24 hours to recharge. I’d say there are many much better options available.

Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm following all these threads closely as I want a simplified, portable, powerful, power source as well. I also want it to be as affordable as possible too. That apparently is the hard part. It seems, no matter the DIY involved, the batteries are expensive, making for costly set-ups. I am of a growing opinion, that it is hard to beat a Bluetti 1500wh solar generator that has everything in one simple battery sized device. Just plug in your solar panels and vehicle power source. It's all done for you.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
That is very similar to what I am having built with a few differences. My units are designed for outdoor use. The Bluetti unit cannot ride in the bed of your truck. For in vehicle charging their unit requires an additional inverter be purchased. That wouldn’t be an issue for me because I have the 110V plug in the bed I could use to charge as long as the weather is nice or take up space inside the cab. My units will have the 30amp DC-DC charger that will use alternator power to charge the units. The only installation involved is hooking the supplied cable to the battery and running it to the bed and plugging in the Anderson plugs.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
That is very similar to what I am having built with a few differences. My units are designed for outdoor use. The Bluetti unit cannot ride in the bed of your truck. For in vehicle charging their unit requires an additional inverter be purchased. That wouldn’t be an issue for me because I have the 110V plug in the bed I could use to charge as long as the weather is nice or take up space inside the cab. My units will have the 30amp DC-DC charger that will use alternator power to charge the units. The only installation involved is hooking the supplied cable to the battery and running it to the bed and plugging in the Anderson plugs.
The Bluetti and most of the other solar generators have 12v DC charging plugs built in already. It also has regulated 12v DC output which is a big requirement for the 12v fridges. They will shut off if the voltage drops below a certain point. I think you can put them in the bed of the Gladiator of properly secured. I have a 12v plug in my bed to charge it while driving. When at a camp site, solar panels will help extend it's charge. I believe the Bluetti 1500wh goes for about 1300. Solar panels are an extra cost, maybe 300 to 400 more for a pair of good ones.

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The Bluetti and most of the other solar generators have 12v DC charging plugs built in already. It also has regulated 12v DC output which is a big requirement for the 12v fridges. They will shut off if the voltage drops below a certain point. I think you can put them in the bed of the Gladiator of properly secured. I have a 12v plug in my bed to charge it while driving. When at a camp site, solar panels will help extend it's charge. I believe the Bluetti 1500wh goes for about 1300. Solar panels are an extra cost, maybe 300 to 400 more for a pair of good ones.
The Bluetti states that you have to buy a power inverter to charge it in your car. Now those are cheap but 12V plugs are rated at a max of 10 amps. I can’t find in their information where it has any type of weather rating. My last trip I drove out of Destin as a tropical storm rolled in.

ADF8C995-8BE2-4492-B257-A69520F4E11D.png

58290292-8219-4BF1-85AE-D9BAA3C6B1B2.png

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The Bluetti states that you have to buy a power inverter to charge it in your car. Now those are cheap but 12V plugs are rated at a max of 10 amps. I can’t find in their information where it has any type of weather rating. My last trip I drove out of Destin as a tropical storm rolled in.

Jeep Gladiator Ultimate Overlanding and Camping Power Source 58290292-8219-4BF1-85AE-D9BAA3C6B1B2

Jeep Gladiator Ultimate Overlanding and Camping Power Source 58290292-8219-4BF1-85AE-D9BAA3C6B1B2

Your absolutely right. Dang... No 12v charging from the vehicle. Well then.... This one is out. I will need that. There are many others that do have that feature though. One that comes to mind is the Ecoflow DELTA 1300. Its about 100 bucks more but has a real fast recharge rate.

This kid is somewhat of a solar/power/battery geek, and does a great review of this device

Sponsored

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Check the specifications very close. As you can see in the screen grab here the battery is only rated to maintain 60% capacity after only 800 discharge cycles. My LiFePO4 batteries are rated for 90% capacity after 2000 cycles. The RV batteries that I am selling are rated for 5000 cycles and these batteries use the same cells so I am sure they will last that long as well but we have not had time to do full endurance testing.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.43.57 PM.png

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I was able to find these two screen grabs from GoalZero and Ecoflow. They fake rugged but can't really cut the mustard when it is needed. These indoor power stations are like a Honda Ridgeline that looks the part and can do a little and my power stations are the Jeep Gladiator that can live up to the hype and demands of true outdoor enthusiasts.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.08.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 7.58.47 PM.png

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
The reality is I don’t want an all in one, I want the parts that can be fixed and replaced independently... but in a nice package. Will we be able to replace 1 part at a time in case of failure?

OP
OP
TennesseePA

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
They have to have some form of dc input...
They can be charged by solar, so I'm wondering what the specs are.
The reality is I don’t want an all in one, I want the parts that can be fixed and replaced independently... but in a nice package. Will we be able to replace 1 part at a time in case of failure?
The individual parts can be replaced but it's not an easy process. Since the unit is sealed against the weather it has to be taken apart and put back together by specially trained technicians. The reason I want an all-in-one piece is because space is at such a premium for most people. I don't care if your overlanding rig is a crew cab long bed Super Duty you don't have enough space for everything you'd like to have. So I tried to make the units as compact and power dense as I could and still be rugged enough to be a true off road tool.