TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm debating on going with a set of Falcon 3.3 shocks (or similar) and an American Adventure Labs hi-line fender kit as opposed to a lift. I know my choice is probably the unpopular one, since the majority of people love tossing on monster truck tires and going as high as possible, but that's just not how I use my JT. My reasoning for this is:

1. There is a very slim chance that I will ever go beyond 35" tires. And a 0% chance that I will ever go beyond 37". I have not had any real tire clearance issues.
2. I want better riding shocks both on and off road, and more articulation, without the excess height and heightened center of gravity of a lift.
3. I want to eliminate any potential tire clearance issues at max flex.

Pros and cons of this decision vs going with a full on lift? My rig is a bit heavy as setup. With that in mind, are there any suspension components that it would be proactive to upgrade (again, without lifting)?

Open to any ideas, information, or suggestions.
Sponsored

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employeed
i havent seen many go "monster size tires" on a gladiator. Maybe 42's on a select few.

if you have a rubicon you can easily run 35's without doing anything. Even 37's

** Apologies. I read your post wrong.

Last edited:

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I have already replaced the tie rod bar, drag link bar, and front track bar.

I am going to do a 2" lift, ala carte`, Synergy springs front and back, Synergy control arms front, 0-2 or 2.5" shocks (haven't decided if I'm going to try Rancho 9000's or go with a more expensive adjustable) rear track bar, possible rear track bar relocation.

So, with that said, you can get springs that are stock height and stiffer than Rubicon OEM, yes to the adjustable shocks. I would stiffen up the front like I did, I went all Synergy, chose the ones that trip your trigger.

Oh, at maximum stuff, with 35's and no lift on a Rubicon, you're going to rub the fender flare. No if's, and's, or buts.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Watching this. I don't have any real desire for a lift, but would like a higher performing suspension than the stock Rubi setup. Would be awesome if there was a high quality 1" with tuned shocks/springs.

dsundy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree ^

This is exactly what I'm looking for with mine. Better driving on/offroad, maintaining stock suspension geo, able to handle extra weight, and can still fit in the garage.

I was looking at the 3.3's too -- seems like one of the few viable options in the 0-1.5" space.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Daystar makes a 3/4" spacer lift which with some Fox 2.0's with their valving instead of FCA's might be a nice, inexpensive combo.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Watching this. I don't have any real desire for a lift, but would like a higher performing suspension than the stock Rubi setup. Would be awesome if there was a high quality 1" with tuned shocks/springs.
@InvertedLogic Synergy makes a +1" spring (that dimension is on Rubicon, anything else shows a larger gain) you wouldn't necessarily have to get new shocks, but if you want them then talk to Synergy about their recommendations. Synergy claims the springs are little less than 10% stiffer than Rubicon springs, the spring rates are listed on their website.
They do say to use a 2" bump stop.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Your main goal seems to be articulation, so doubt if my route helps much. I despised the feel of the factory shocks/springs when driving, especially in curves at any sort of speed. I went with the Rancho LEvel it kit which replaces both the shocks and springs in the front and absolutely love it. No more diving when turning into corners or during braking.

I also wanted to add a winch/bumper combo and didn't want sag when I do eventuially make a decision :) .

With both of those in mind, I'd defintely recommend replacing the springs as part of any suspension upgrade.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@InvertedLogic Synergy makes a +1" spring (that dimension is on Rubicon, anything else shows a larger gain) you wouldn't necessarily have to get new shocks, but if you want them then talk to Synergy about their recommendations. Synergy claims the springs are little less than 10% stiffer than Rubicon springs, the spring rates are listed on their website.
They do say to use a 2" bump stop.
I came across those the other day and was thinking that those may be a good option. What I've been piecing together in my head so far is this:

Synergy 1" front springs
Synergy 2" rear springs
SumoSprings (Bump Stop Replacement)
Falcon 3.3 shocks front and rear

I think that with as heavy as my Rubicon is (I've yet to weigh it as-is, but it's heavy) it's a safe bet that I would only get half of the advertised lift from the springs. The SumoSprings would function as a bump stop replacement (5 inches long according to the specs on their site), and they provide 1400 pounds of progressive load leveling at 50% compression, which should help when I'm loaded up in "expedition mode." The adjustability of the 3.3s would allow me to fine tune as needed.

It looks good to me on paper--any thoughts? With this moderate lift, I'd likely still go the Hi-Line fender route to ensure proper clearance.

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Your main goal seems to be articulation, so doubt if my route helps much. I despised the feel of the factory shocks/springs when driving, especially in curves at any sort of speed. I went with the Rancho LEvel it kit which replaces both the shocks and springs in the front and absolutely love it. No more diving when turning into corners or during braking.

I also wanted to add a winch/bumper combo and didn't want sag when I do eventuially make a decision :) .

With both of those in mind, I'd defintely recommend replacing the springs as part of any suspension upgrade.
Articulation, yes, but mostly just the general feel and drivability. With how I use the vehicle, I see myself on a lot of rutted out, high-speed roads fairly often, and I'd like to maximize performance in those types of scenarios, while keeping the option to crawl over any terrain that gets between me and my destination in my back pocket. I know that the Rubicon isn't the best vehicle in the world for that type of high-speed offroad driving, especially with the solid axles, but it's what I have and I wouldn't change it!

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I came across those the other day and was thinking that those may be a good option. What I've been piecing together in my head so far is this:

Synergy 1" front springs
Synergy 2" rear springs
SumoSprings (Bump Stop Replacement)
Falcon 3.3 shocks front and rear

I think that with as heavy as my Rubicon is (I've yet to weigh it as-is, but it's heavy) it's a safe bet that I would only get half of the advertised lift from the springs. The SumoSprings would function as a bump stop replacement (5 inches long according to the specs on their site), and they provide 1400 pounds of progressive load leveling at 50% compression, which should help when I'm loaded up in "expedition mode." The adjustability of the 3.3s would allow me to fine tune as needed.

It looks good to me on paper--any thoughts? With this moderate lift, I'd likely still go the Hi-Line fender route to ensure proper clearance.
I don't know your disposable cash situation, but you MIGHT want to look at Rancho 9000 series shocks for the JT, they are adjustable and quite a bit cheaper. I have seen lots of glowing reviews about them on another forum.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
I'd also keep an eye out for a Mojave take off suspension (sacrilege I know :) ). IT was designed for high speed washboard type terrain and from my understanding does extremely well,

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know your disposable cash situation, but you MIGHT want to look at Rancho 9000 series shocks for the JT, they are adjustable and quite a bit cheaper. I have seen lots of glowing reviews about them on another forum.
Those are much more reasonably priced for sure haha. I'll look in to them. Due to the nature of the terrain I typically run with the extra weight that I have, I'd prefer something with reservoirs, which is probably a bit overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it and end up cooking my shocks lol.

I'd also keep an eye out for a Mojave take off suspension (sacrilege I know :) ). IT was designed for high speed washboard type terrain and from my understanding does extremely well,
Mojavecon! Haha, I have thought about going that route as well. Worth looking in to. I haven't seen too many take off Mojave sets though. With what I see some people trying to charge for take off Rubicon suspension, I'd expect the cost of the Mojave setup to be pushing damn near the cost of the Falcons anyway. We'll see!

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I'm just not convinced that the high speed rebound is going to do well in heavy load, slow, long articulation. I have gotten reamed on this Board for expressing that opinion, but the two operations are opposite each other.
The adjustable shocks that are out there are a good fit, you can tune them for fast and hard, slow and long, or anywhere between. (Git yer minds outta da gutter ya Pervs)

OP
OP
TheHops

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just not convinced that the high speed rebound is going to do well in heavy load, slow, long articulation. I have gotten reamed on this Board for expressing that opinion, but the two operations are opposite each other.
The adjustable shocks that are out there are a good fit, you can tune them for fast and hard, slow and long, or anywhere between. (Git yer minds outta da gutter ya Pervs)
That is a fair point. I didn't think about the lack of adjustability on the Mojave shocks. Being able to hop out, turn a few dials, and optimize the suspension for the switch from washboards to technical terrain would be worth the extra cost for sure, in my opinion.
Sponsored