Sponsored

Upgraded to 39 inch BFG KM3. Axle strength questions.

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hello Gladiator forum! I wanted to get some good advice. I would consider myself “green” to the off-roading world. Your input is appreciated!

I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, with a Metalcloak 3.5 inch game-changer lift. I went from 35 inch BFG 35 inch KO2 to 39 inch BFG KM3.

Re-gearing to 5.13’s will happen next, however, I do have some concerns with axel strength. From what research I’ve done, a truss on front/ rear, RCV axel shafts, could help. But would it really make a difference?

I appreciate your responses!

104DBEAA-53E2-4EFD-AAC8-D658CD65A42A.jpeg
Sponsored

Gladiscraper

First Name
Smokey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
FWIW we are going the exact same route with ours, 3.5 GC and 39” KM3’s. I’m probably going with the Currie HD60’s, as they are more cost effective than building up the 44’s and upgrading later.

Wonder what others have experience with as well. We’d like to do some light wheeling on stock axles for a while.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Your axle upgrades will be a bit cheaper then mine because I have a max tow so I had to buy lockers too.. But to do over again I would not of trussed & re-geared my stock axles. I am into them over 11k including install of everything. For a few grand more I could of bought Dana 60's. The other thing to consider with that is the need to get new wheels with the new bolt pattern if you go that route. Realistically you would be about 2k less for the lockers that I had to spend, but my rear axle shafts are stronger since I got the dutchman 35 spline upgrade at the same time. RCV's were going to take like 4+ months from when I did everything so I didnt do the 35 spline front upgrade. Will get RCV's eventually though.
If you have the money to spend I would just go with 60's & you can flip your 44's for a pretty decent return.

rballman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Rubi
Hello Gladiator forum! I wanted to get some good advice. I would consider myself “green” to the off-roading world. Your input is appreciated!

I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, with a Metalcloak 3.5 inch game-changer lift. I went from 35 inch BFG 35 inch KO2 to 39 inch BFG KM3.

Re-gearing to 5.13’s will happen next, however, I do have some concerns with axel strength. From what research I’ve done, a truss on front/ rear, RCV axel shafts, could help. But would it really make a difference?

I appreciate your responses!

Jeep Gladiator Upgraded to 39 inch BFG KM3. Axle strength questions. 104DBEAA-53E2-4EFD-AAC8-D658CD65A42A
what are your rim specs?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I have nothing to add except your truck looks totally badass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JT Steve

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Your axle upgrades will be a bit cheaper then mine because I have a max tow so I had to buy lockers too.. But to do over again I would not of trussed & re-geared my stock axles. I am into them over 11k including install of everything. For a few grand more I could of bought Dana 60's. The other thing to consider with that is the need to get new wheels with the new bolt pattern if you go that route. Realistically you would be about 2k less for the lockers that I had to spend, but my rear axle shafts are stronger since I got the dutchman 35 spline upgrade at the same time. RCV's were going to take like 4+ months from when I did everything so I didnt do the 35 spline front upgrade. Will get RCV's eventually though.
If you have the money to spend I would just go with 60's & you can flip your 44's for a pretty decent return.
Thank you for taking the time to reply!

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Honest question, since the km3 really only measure around 37.5 (so I’ve read); and weigh the same as nitto/Toyo 37s, is an axel upgrade needed?
Not sure how hard you wheel? I have 37 km3 and am going to go 39” soon being that they run small.
I have a JTR, and have watched my buddy beat the piss out of his tow max on 38” Patagonia’s with no issues.

OP
OP
JT Steve

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Honest question, since the km3 really only measure around 37.5 (so I’ve read); and weigh the same as nitto/Toyo 37s, is an axel upgrade needed?
Not sure how hard you wheel? I have 37 km3 and am going to go 39” soon being that they run small.
I have a JTR, and have watched my buddy beat the piss out of his tow max on 38” Patagonia’s with no issues.
Hey what’s up! I do wheel it fairly often on rocks and steep inclines. It’s a pretty beefy tire and I could imagine not having control of the skinny pedal while doing “difficult” trails could cause some issues.

I think if you have good throttle control and aren’t hauling ass through trails you will be good!

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you're going to strengthen the axle, swap out the cast aluminum knuckles for cast iron or cast steel.
Also invest in the heavy duty ball joints for said knuckles.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey what’s up! I do wheel it fairly often on rocks and steep inclines. It’s a pretty beefy tire and I could imagine not having control of the skinny pedal while doing “difficult” trails could cause some issues.

I think if you have good throttle control and aren’t hauling ass through trails you will be good!
Good points! I live in the east, so trails are tight, and sadly more mud than anything. We have found some decent rocky trails and less mud, but nothing is ever high speed.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
What’s the overall height on your jeep? Just curious if 39 or 40” would fit in my garage.

OP
OP
JT Steve

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What’s the overall height on your jeep? Just curious if 39 or 40” would fit in my garage.
Good points! I live in the east, so trails are tight, and sadly more mud than anything. We have found some decent rocky trails and less mud, but nothing is ever high speed.
I think you would be good to go, like you said the BFG is a smaller tire (true to size wise). So you have some leniency when it comes to that.

OP
OP
JT Steve

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Tbh, I’ve never measured! It fits in 6ft 4 parking garages and I have about 2 inches of room left before I smash the roof haha... it fits in my small townhome garage 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored