Sponsored

Upgraded to 39 inch BFG KM3. Axle strength questions.

OP
OP
JT Steve

JT Steve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If you're going to strengthen the axle, swap out the cast aluminum knuckles for cast iron or cast steel.
Also invest in the heavy duty ball joints for said knuckles.
There’s a video on YouTube and they recommended the same as you mentioned, I think if you did that and 35 spline shafts it would be great. Although there is the weak spot from the FAD.
Sponsored

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
From my perspective, it really relates to how you drive your rig. If it's a pavement princess, other than doing a re-gear, you'll be fine. There are some people that can break a steel ball in a rubber room and others that can make a POS D35 last 20 years. Your experience may vary.
That being said, I'm seeing broken R&P in Gladiator rear axles with 39+ tires and deep gearing. 35sp shafts are surviving but the R&P (Dana parts too) are failing. A low pinion 60/70/80 (or similar) would be your best bet.
Up front I don't see many issues with axles (except FAD) or R&P. The FAD housing is a weak spot that a good bounce can destroy. Bad FAD.
The problem with the Gladiator is that you can fatten it up so easily. All the weight that we add puts a huge strain on the drive train. If I were going to really use it, like my other rigs, I'd have 60s or better. The piece of mind you have with bigger axles is worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Hello Gladiator forum! I wanted to get some good advice. I would consider myself “green” to the off-roading world. Your input is appreciated!

I have a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, with a Metalcloak 3.5 inch game-changer lift. I went from 35 inch BFG 35 inch KO2 to 39 inch BFG KM3.

Re-gearing to 5.13’s will happen next, however, I do have some concerns with axel strength. From what research I’ve done, a truss on front/ rear, RCV axel shafts, could help. But would it really make a difference?

I appreciate your responses!

Jeep Gladiator Upgraded to 39 inch BFG KM3. Axle strength questions. 179EB925-E899-434A-AA28-1CEA879E62D5

First, looks awesome!

I'd look (and am looking) at truss and gussets first as its a fairly cheap investment to strengthen the real weak point of the FAD. After that I'd honestly ask whats your tolerance for breaking things? You can go RCV's and chromoly in the rear but you could also just wait til you break something and then replace it with something stronger. These arent the dana 44's of old by any stretch and depending on how crazy you really get is whether you need to upgrde with a light 37.5.

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Tbh, I’ve never measured! It fits in 6ft 4 parking garages and I have about 2 inches of room left before I smash the roof haha... it fits in my small townhome garage 🤷‍♂️
Any chance you’d be able to measure the tallest point of the roof?
Sponsored