Sponsored

Verified: 2020 JT Gladiator Pickup Truck Production Starts January 2019, Order Banks Open in Jan/Feb

devwil68

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK | 5.9 Ram Mega Cab | 69 Camaro | 4Runner | Camaro SS 1LE
I would think with such anticipation, and being FCA,,,,they hit it out of the park with the Hellcat/Demon launches that it got everyone talking and all over the media.

Would be cool here if they partnered with someone like BFG and did the same thing!
Sponsored

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Same here. No Diesel no JL or JT for me. It will most likely make my decision to go to Ford.
I’ll be getting a raptor... it’ll be my first Ford, it almost feels like betrayal.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
I’ll be getting a raptor... it’ll be my first Ford, it almost feels like betrayal.
That's because it is . Just kidding, I hope the raptor meets your desires.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
You and me both. I really really really like the Raptor (F150) but really really didn't want to spend that much money on a truck. However with that said I do see some 2017 802a packages popping up lightly pre-owned for under $60K which is super tempting IMO.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rocky Mountain (Red); 2016 JK Sahara Unlimited (Hydro Blue)
Last year, I wrote a published article for Truck Trend magazine on why I was not excited by the prospect of a Wrangler-based pickup truck and why I believed Jeep would not sell as many of them as it thought it would. Since then, virtually nothing has changed my position. While the quality and the drive of the JL may have improved a bit over the JK (and from the weld issues and a few other problems, that's even questionable), if Jeep is planning on essentially building a JL pickup (the JT) and charging what is apparently going to be over $45k, for what may not even be a loaded truck, I am still a non-buyer and I sense a lot of other people will be out, as well. My preference, if one really wanted a Jeep pickup, would have been something like the M715! Two doors, canvas top, and a box. Diesel, optional.

First of all, I have and will keep my TJ and JKU (Jeeps #4 & #6 for me) because they are Jeeps, not pickups, and I love them for exactly what they are (and are not). Jeep dates to WWII. I love the military heritage, I love the size and uniqueness (of each vehicle), I love the openness, and I love the go-anywhere nature of the Jeep. I have a pickup if I want to drive a pickup. Will I look at the JT? Of course! I flew to the LA Auto Show for the introduction of the JL and crawled all over them for two+ hours. But I still haven't bought one. I will similarly crawl all over the JT when it is introduced because, after all, I am still a Jeep guy and if those four letters adorn it, I owe Jeep a little bit of my time to look.

Would I actually buy a Jeep pickup? As I said, if it was the M715 type as described, and the price was right, highly likely I would. But as it stands now, when my '11 Dakota comes due for replacement next year, the leading contender today for my money is a pickup manufacturer, Ford. And the Ford Ranger. Or perhaps the Chevy Colorado. Rumor has it FCA is going to produce a Fiat/Ram mid-size pickup; I'm not waiting. Both of these Detroit products are solid contenders with proven histories and $40k-$45k will get you a well-loaded, if not completely loaded, 4WD pickup.

It is easy to get caught up in all of the hype with the JL and JT, and I still might buy a JL before all is said and done. But when the rubber meets the road, my expectations for a pickup truck will be high. Unfortunately, I do not believe Jeep will meet those expectations. I remain very worried that what they will deliver is a dressed-up, chopped-off JL, add a box, and call it a day. Oh, and charge a crap-load of money (look at the increases experienced by JL buyers and the rumored 2019 JL price increases). Thanks, but no thanks.

IMG_9023.JPG

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
My preference, if one really wanted a Jeep pickup, would have been something like the M715! Two doors, canvas top, and a box. Diesel, optional.
The problem here is your an enthusiasts and enthusiasts only make up a very small % of buyers. The truck you described above might be great for people with multiple vehicles but would be a terrible daily driver for customers looking to get multi use out of their vehicles, and would only appeal to niche market.

DrPerez007 said:
Would I actually buy a Jeep pickup? As I said, if it was the M715 type as described, and the price was right, highly likely I would. But as it stands now, when my '11 Dakota comes due for replacement next year, the leading contender today for my money is a pickup manufacturer, Ford. And the Ford Ranger. Or perhaps the Chevy Colorado. Rumor has it FCA is going to produce a Fiat/Ram mid-size pickup; I'm not waiting. Both of these Detroit products are solid contenders with proven histories and $40k-$45k will get you a well-loaded, if not completely loaded, 4WD pickup.
40-45K well loaded your taking about a basic mid-size pickup. No removable top, no removable doors, no solid FA, no locking front and rear diffs, no low range. The ZR2 is high 40s which is the only thing comparable and "if" the Raptor Ranger comes it will be high 40s to low 50s based on how the larger F150 Raptor is priced. Even the Tacoma TRD Pro is mid to upper 40s.

DrPerez007 said:
It is easy to get caught up in all of the hype with the JL and JT, and I still might buy a JL before all is said and done. But when the rubber meets the road, my expectations for a pickup truck will be high. Unfortunately, I do not believe Jeep will meet those expectations. I remain very worried that what they will deliver is a dressed-up, chopped-off JL, add a box, and call it a day. Oh, and charge a crap-load of money (look at the increases experienced by JL buyers and the rumored 2019 JL price increases). Thanks, but no thanks.
I agree with you on the price increases and quality issues. My 2013 JKU Rubicon is full loaded (only missing remote start) MSRP on it was $44K this include painted hard top, painted fenders, leather, Nav, upgraded sound, cold weather package, tow package. Now the same rig 5 years later is literally $10K more which is INSANE imo. I also think this is why your seeing a general trend among the auto industry in declining sales (Vehicles are getting to expensive vs income growth) and also why your seeing multi purpose vehicles selling better (SUVs, Trucks vs Cars).

devwil68

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK | 5.9 Ram Mega Cab | 69 Camaro | 4Runner | Camaro SS 1LE
Anybody know of an update on this? Are we actually able to order in a couple of days?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Last year, I wrote a published article for Truck Trend magazine on why I was not excited by the prospect of a Wrangler-based pickup truck and why I believed Jeep would not sell as many of them as it thought it would. Since then, virtually nothing has changed my position...Thanks, but no thanks.
IMG_9023.JPG
Yet you are still here, either trying to convince yourself that you are right, or to convince us that we are wrong for wanting one...

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Last year, I wrote a published article for Truck Trend magazine on why I was not excited by the prospect of a Wrangler-based pickup truck and why I believed Jeep would not sell as many of them as it thought it would. Since then, virtually nothing has changed my position. While the quality and the drive of the JL may have improved a bit over the JK (and from the weld issues and a few other problems, that's even questionable), if Jeep is planning on essentially building a JL pickup (the JT) and charging what is apparently going to be over $45k, for what may not even be a loaded truck, I am still a non-buyer and I sense a lot of other people will be out, as well. My preference, if one really wanted a Jeep pickup, would have been something like the M715! Two doors, canvas top, and a box. Diesel, optional.

First of all, I have and will keep my TJ and JKU (Jeeps #4 & #6 for me) because they are Jeeps, not pickups, and I love them for exactly what they are (and are not). Jeep dates to WWII. I love the military heritage, I love the size and uniqueness (of each vehicle), I love the openness, and I love the go-anywhere nature of the Jeep. I have a pickup if I want to drive a pickup. Will I look at the JT? Of course! I flew to the LA Auto Show for the introduction of the JL and crawled all over them for two+ hours. But I still haven't bought one. I will similarly crawl all over the JT when it is introduced because, after all, I am still a Jeep guy and if those four letters adorn it, I owe Jeep a little bit of my time to look.

IMG_9023.JPG
Got through a couple of lines on this post. The wonderful thing about this place that we all have our opinions, wishes and ideals. The fact of why you are writing this in a Jeep forum for the JT hopeful owners and fans???....beats me!! If you don’t want it because of whatever reason you want to tell yourself, then simply don’t buy it. I can only speak for myself, but it’s my money and I’ll spend it however I feel like it. I’ll continue to share that with the enthusiasts in this forum.... as far as I’m concerned, one less person to fight at the dealership.

Sponsored

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Yet you are still here, either trying to convince yourself that you are right, or to convince us that we are wrong for wanting one...
Not sure... I think it’s more like...”it’s gonna suck and I won’t buy it” “it needs to be a two door Jeep military grade for cheap!” “Other than that is garbage” type of train of thought.... the better question is: 35s or 37s 3inch or four inch lift??? Let’s think about that!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
2" lift and 37's get my vote!
Mine too. Hell if I could get 37s on with a no lift and be functional that would be even better. I'm all for LCG setups like Baja trucks use.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rocky Mountain (Red); 2016 JK Sahara Unlimited (Hydro Blue)
Got through a couple of lines on this post. The wonderful thing about this place that we all have our opinions, wishes and ideals. The fact of why you are writing this in a Jeep forum for the JT hopeful owners and fans???....beats me!! If you don’t want it because of whatever reason you want to tell yourself, then simply don’t buy it. I can only speak for myself, but it’s my money and I’ll spend it however I feel like it. I’ll continue to share that with the enthusiasts in this forum.... as far as I’m concerned, one less person to fight at the dealership.
When I last checked this was a forum, with the intent to provide comments, 'pro' and 'con,' and to stimulate discussion. My intent was not to dissuade anyone from buying a JT or tell folks how to spend their money, only to suggest that people pause for a minute and at least consider that the JT is not likely to "be all and end all" for pickup trucks and there will be other options. The TJ, JK, and JL are speciality vehicles and, IMHO, no one does it better than Jeep for the money, even with all of their deficiencies. But consider that Jeep is now returning to building a pickup, something it hasn't done in decades and for which there is, unlike the JL, bona fide competition despite some of the (previously described) mechanical differences. They may hit a home run or they may foul out. Either way, I am just suggesting that we keep a reasonable and objective prospective before we drink the Kool-Aid, but based on what has been said or uncovered so far, I am not optimistic.

But having said all of that, I will also be the first to admit that as an "enthusiast," I spend ridiculous sums of money on my Jeeps. I wanted a JL, but decided to wait to see if the JT was really a Wrangler-based pickup or something else. It appears it will be the former, as disappointed as I am and the reason that I stated that my money would probably be spent elsewhere. Perhaps when the JT's hit the used car market I will be a buyer, the same way I bought my most recent '16 JKU.

Let me say, I enjoy the forums because, first, I learn a lot from everyone and appreciate that people are willing to share, and second, that the forum provides that "town square" kind of community, where we all can stand on our soap box and express ourselves in any direction we want in a respectful manner. Please keep it up!
Sponsored