Sponsored

Verified: 2020 JT Gladiator Pickup Truck Production Starts January 2019, Order Banks Open in Jan/Feb

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Im the opposite of you guys. In my JKU I hate the V6.

1) its gets terrible milage with a lift and bigger tires (i have the AEV 2.5" with BFG KO2 in 35"). I just completed a 1,000 mile trip from Boise, ID to Zion National Park and back over the last 3 days and averaged 13.1 MPG. Less then 300 miles on a tank.

2) At hwy speeds it sucks. Plain and simple. Around town it dosen't bother me one bit or on a trail its great. But if you do any serious traveling in it for long periods of time it plain sucks. This might have been fixed with the 8-speed trans since it has more gearing, but based on the fuel econ improvements Im not expecting much. If your looking for a Overlanding rig this and range above are both serious concerns.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Im the opposite of you guys. In my JKU I hate the V6.

1) its gets terrible milage with a lift and bigger tires (i have the AEV 2.5" with BFG KO2 in 35"). I just completed a 1,000 mile trip from Boise, ID to Zion National Park and back over the last 3 days and averaged 13.1 MPG. Less then 300 miles on a tank.

2) At hwy speeds it sucks. Plain and simple. Around town it dosen't bother me one bit or on a trail its great. But if you do any serious traveling in it for long periods of time it plain sucks. This might have been fixed with the 8-speed trans since it has more gearing, but based on the fuel econ improvements Im not expecting much. If your looking for a Overlanding rig this and range above are both serious concerns.
Here's hoping the Ecodiesel is less affected by lift and tires.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I don't think the Pentastar is a bad motor, quite the opposite. But a 3.6L V6 in a vehicle the size of the modern 4 door Wrangler, or even heaven forbid a 1500 is woefully undersized.

I traded my 300+ horsepower 5.3L GM 1500 back in on an older LBZ Duramax simply because I can't stand the utter lack of "get out of their own way" power a lot of modern vehicles have. (Not looking forward to whatever electronic nannies FCA puts on the EcoDiesel)

The Ecodiesel will be more expensive sure, but it should hopefully be a helluva lot more enjoyable to drive than a Pentastar as long as they don't neuter it too bad with torque management nonsense. Plus, there are generally aftermarket solutions to a lot of the Diesel complaints listed(tunes, aftermarket filter systems, possibly DEF delete). Sure, you won't be doing $19.99 oil changes at Jiffy Lube...but you shouldn't be doing that anyways. ;)

Cost efficiency and MPG are pointless arguments when discussing Jeeps anyways, if that stuff mattered we wouldn't be buying vehicles with the aerodynamics of a brick with a tent on top of it. We buy these things because they're fun, not because they're cheap. Diesels are fun. Jeeps are fun. Therefore, Diesel powered (real) Jeeps should be really fun. I hope.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the Pentastar is a bad motor, quite the opposite. But a 3.6L V6 in a vehicle the size of the modern 4 door Wrangler, or even heaven forbid a 1500 is woefully undersized.

I traded my 300+ horsepower 5.3L GM 1500 back in on an older LBZ Duramax simply because I can't stand the utter lack of "get out of their own way" power a lot of modern vehicles have. (Not looking forward to whatever electronic nannies FCA puts on the EcoDiesel)

The Ecodiesel will be more expensive sure, but it should hopefully be a helluva lot more enjoyable to drive than a Pentastar as long as they don't neuter it too bad with torque management nonsense. Plus, there are generally aftermarket solutions to a lot of the Diesel complaints listed(tunes, aftermarket filter systems, possibly DEF delete). Sure, you won't be doing $19.99 oil changes at Jiffy Lube...but you shouldn't be doing that anyways. ;)

Cost efficiency and MPG are pointless arguments when discussing Jeeps anyways, if that stuff mattered we wouldn't be buying vehicles with the aerodynamics of a brick with a tent on top of it. We buy these things because they're fun, not because they're cheap. Diesels are fun. Jeeps are fun. Therefore, Diesel powered (real) Jeeps should be really fun. I hope.
I couldnt agree more. I really don't mind spending more for a BETER drive.

When I was commenting about the 13.1 MPG average I wasnt complaining about fuel cost so much as lack of range. A lot of us on here are looking at building Overland style rigs and if your having to find gas every couple of hours it really limits your abilty to travel on fire/forest roads.

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I couldnt agree more. I really don't mind spending more for a BETER drive.

When I was commenting about the 13.1 MPG average I wasnt complaining about fuel cost so much as lack of range. A lot of us on here are looking at building Overland style rigs and if your having to find gas every couple of hours it really limits your abilty to travel on fire/forest roads.

Oh definitely, that's my end goal for a JT as well. Hoping Titan comes out with something nice. :)

Heuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk
As far as Hemi gas mileage, my JKU with a 5.7l gets an average of 12 mpg, which is right in line with other people I know with the 5.7/6.4l.

Regarding the 3.6l, it feels like a completely different engine with the new-for-Wrangler 8 speed auto. If you have only driven the JK version, do yourself a favor and drive one with the 8 speed, it’s an eye opener. Here is a 0-60 camparison:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
This... Very Much This.
I had a 3.6L JKU with a 6speed and while dependable, it was pretty ho-hum to drive, and I put a Lot of miles on my vehicles. Mild lift + 33's. I was not sad to see it go when I got my GC diesel. If they do not offer the new pickup with a diesel, I will not buy one-

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Once again for those who may have joined this discussion just recently - I have the 3.6L in my 2015 Ram Laramie 1500 and I want to stress this point - I ordered the truck with this exact configuration as I wanted the Pentastar and it is one of the best aspects of the truck. I get about 20-21 MPG combined highway-city driving and she has a better payload then if I had a Hemi (I just checked the Ram payload guide again and my truck is rated at 1,880 lbs. of payload and if I had a Hemi it is rated at only 1,800 lbs.) and my 0-60 time is just over 7 sec. - naturally aspirated, I change my own oil - takes only six quarts (one quart Risoline - just say'in). Smooth powerful and I have a Flowmaster dual exhaust - sounds good gett'in there too!

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Once again for those who may have joined this discussion just recently - I have the 3.6L in my 2015 Ram Laramie 1500 and I want to stress this point - I ordered the truck with this exact configuration as I wanted the Pentastar and it is one of the best aspects of the truck. I get about 20-21 MPG combined highway-city driving and she has a better payload then if I had a Hemi (I just checked the Ram payload guide again and my truck is rated at 1,880 lbs. of payload and if I had a Hemi it is rated at only 1,800 lbs.) and my 0-60 time is just over 7 sec. - naturally aspirated, I change my own oil - takes only six quarts (one quart Risoline - just say'in). Smooth powerful and I have a Flowmaster dual exhaust - sounds good gett'in there too!
I would agree with others sentiments on the JK with the 3.6/WA580 automatic transmission. I never felt like my JK had 285hp/260tq and was pretty boring and lethargic to drive. The AEV ProCal helped big time but it was still meh. I haven't driven a JL with the 8-speed yet but from those I have talked with the Rubicon has no trouble pushing 37's and having enough power. When the JT is released I will likely end up with the 3.6/8-speed combo but I hope to drive the different versions and see which I like best. Speaking of oil changes, pretty sure I have a few MOPAR 3.6 oil filters laying around if anyone wants them.

Sponsored

kltk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
I too, own a 2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 with Pentastar V6, 8spd transmission and 3.55 gear ratio. I specifically purchased it with the V6 as, at the time, I had no intention of towing heavy and, as a long-term owner, discovered it was in the neighborhood of $1500 less to own over 150k than the Hemi and as much as $3k cheaper than the Ecodiesel. That's a lot of fuel, folks. It's more than capable of getting up to speed quickly, supremely quiet and smooth. After purchasing it my wife decided she wanted to get back into the RV lifestyle. Of course, she would. We wound up purchasing a 24', 3800lb travel trailer and it tows it just fine. We've been on several long/steep upgrades, think I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville, TN, and the truck pulls it fine. I've also towed the trailer with a 450lb motorcycle in the bed and, again, it pulls it fine. I tow at 60mph and average 10-12 MPG while towing and typically see anywhere from 19-21 when not towing. I wouldn't sell the Pentastar short, it's a solid motor.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I too, own a 2016 RAM 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4 with Pentastar V6, 8spd transmission and 3.55 gear ratio. I specifically purchased it with the V6 as, at the time, I had no intention of towing heavy and, as a long-term owner, discovered it was in the neighborhood of $1500 less to own over 150k than the Hemi and as much as $3k cheaper than the Ecodiesel. That's a lot of fuel, folks. It's more than capable of getting up to speed quickly, supremely quiet and smooth. After purchasing it my wife decided she wanted to get back into the RV lifestyle. Of course, she would. We wound up purchasing a 24', 3800lb travel trailer and it tows it just fine. We've been on several long/steep upgrades, think I-40 between Knoxville and Nashville, TN, and the truck pulls it fine. I've also towed the trailer with a 450lb motorcycle in the bed and, again, it pulls it fine. I tow at 60mph and average 10-12 MPG while towing and typically see anywhere from 19-21 when not towing. I wouldn't sell the Pentastar short, it's a solid motor.
Problem with it in the JT is as follows:

1) Aerodynamics Of A Brick - The Rams are much more aerodynamic then any Jeep will be

2) Wheel Base - The ram has a much wider and longer wheel based which makes pulling with less power actually easier due to its stability.

3) Stock wheel set up - If you plan any kind of lift (35" tires plus) the fuel economy on the V6 will go out the window. Like I said above I averaged 13.1 MPG on a 1,000 mile trip at mostly highway speeds of 70-80 MPH. But I also only have the 6-speed auto and not the 8-speed found on your Ram or new JL/JT.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
My wife just got a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door with the 2.0 Turbo - factory ordered - 10 weeks for production and delivery. I have to say this little snot will go!!! I drove it Saturday and the turbo kick-in is definitely present. This is also well-suited to the 8 speed tranny.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rocky Mountain (Red); 2016 JK Sahara Unlimited (Hydro Blue)
Thought this was interesting, about an hour ago, Ford sent me a $750 "Preorder Direct Offer" on the 2019 Ford Ranger pickup truck (the "fine print" is pasted below). I had previously signed-up to receive "updates" from Ford on the new Ranger (one of the various mid-size pickups I am looking at in addition to possibly the JT if Jeep actually builds one that is more than a JL with a box tacked on). Can't recall ever receiving a discount offer on a new model vehicle that has not even been produced and delivered yet to customers. Not sure if Ford is nervous, or just sending the proverbial warning shot across the bow and trying to whack at the competition by putting the Ranger out there with a good start (or they realized it is priced $750 too high for that market). BTW, I configured a fairly loaded 2019 Ranger Crew Cab XLT 4WD on Ford's website and it came to about $41,000. Included were the FX4 off-road package, Nav, safety features, trailer tow package, technology package, 17" alum wheels, remote start, 3.73 electronic-locking axle ratio, Sync premium audio with Sat radio, etc, etc. Not much I didn't put in it. Just not sure about the 2.3L EcoBoost engine with "Auto Start-Stop Technology," and there appears to be no other engine option (anyone know anything about this engine?).

*Preorder by 1/2/19 and then take new retail delivery from an authorized Ford Dealer's stock by 7/2/19. See dealer for details. **$750 on the all-new 2019 Ford Ranger XLT or LARIAT only. May not combine with other private, conquest or commercial offers. A/Z/D Plan ineligible. Nontransferable out of household. Limit one per household. U.S. residents. Must redeem using original offer; no duplicates accepted. Prior purchases not eligible.
Sponsored