Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are built to go off road, but they aren’t boats. The OP needs to provide evidence to the jury here. Without that, it’s all hearsay evidence, which is inadmissible. The plaintiff may proceed...
Uh, so you are suggesting that my mounting a trolling motor on the tailgate is a futile effort?
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
And yeah, these engine compartments are really boxed in - hard to imagine what it would take to get mud in the alternator so without more context.
Moderate speed is enough to push water/mud to where it hits the underside of the hood

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Moderate speed is enough to push water/mud to where it hits the underside of the hood
But again, define moderate speed........ my moderate may be double what yours is - or less.
Just so many variables.

I don't know what these alternators will take as far as abuse, but on certain other early versions, the bearings were double-sealed bearings (so they could actually be in water) and the only issue was the brushes and slip rings - once those dried off, things worked again.
I flooded my alternators often going through water with my older vehicles- enough the voltage would drop and the light would glow until things dried out.
My guess is that these are a lot more fragile.
The last Denso system I worked on was destroyed by a mouse peeing on it. No kidding.
The guy sent it to me and my cats were all over that box - and I wondered what the heck, why would cats be interested in a Jeep alternator....... until I opened the box. Whew.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
But again, define moderate speed........ my moderate may be double what yours is - or less.
Just so many variables.
My moderate speed where I see mud hitting the underside of my Jeep's hood is 10-15mph in about 3" of water/mud. Not a lot mind you, but enough to warrant having to spray the hood part when washing the engine bay. You have more mud and a high enough speed like 15mpb there may be enough mud to hit the inside of the hood and come back down. Do a few passes and there could be more than a thin layer of mud. Just my experience. And I was more in river slop than mud in the picture

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'd start by filing suit against the dealership, the dealerships manager as an individual, and the hourly wage chump as an individual who put the restriction on the warranty for the full value of the vehicle and about double in punitive and legal fees.

Then I would file suit against FCA for permitting a dealership to void a warranty contract without legal contest.

Scorched earth, sue everybody unless you're being dishonest about the circumstances in which case you deserve everything you get.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
And be prepared for the possibility of countersuit
Yeah, or alien abductions and forum thread washing like what happened with former forum member Red. May he Rest In Peace, or wherever he is...with his foot in an ice bath.

Last edited:

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Truck says Rubicon on the side, must mean I can have it tumble down a bunch of rocks and there be no damage. And if there is, warranty!!

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
OP. This sux. Hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've killed a alternator in 3 weeks with muddy water of Ocala FL swamp muck. So I'm understanding the dealership on that part to a degree. Now the rest of the story would help. Now if I have to take mine to a dealership for any work I damn well will choose the one. I might have to pay a little more for it but it's worth it. "With the exception of I'm not near home. " Now if you have to go with the legal system good luck, find the most hungry to make a name lawyer you can and sic them on the first Stealership "that tagged your warranty" hard for everything to include mental stress and suffering.... Might not win but make it as painful as possible to them.

A few things that I try to live by though I don't risk my D.D. that's got to get me to work and I bought my 4wheeler for playing in mud cheaper to fix or replace and it's easier to trailer home.

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Pics could explain a lot here and most likely make or break this issue. There is a big difference between wheeling and abusing .
Sponsored