Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
it would take a fair amount of something more than WATER to damage an alternator
The Jeep service tech who looked at my Jeep after I got it covered in mud, again on pavement/road, said the entire engine bay could be pressure washed out. Not such that you get the nozzle to the connectors and blast it, but stand back and give it a good spray. Said he has done so cleaning lots of JLs. Now, I don't have that in writing, or even his name, or know if he even works there anymore. But he did come out to look at my radiator/grill area making some fumes coming off of it and got under the jeep to take a look (ended up being mud water burning off the engine-side of radiator grill, not an issue and it went away shortly after). Admired the "work" and asked where it happened so he could go through the same spot.

And I'm sure on forums there are some lawyers or folks who have personal experience giving their opinions, but that doesn't make it a legal opinion or even an applicable valid personal opinion on every set of circumstances no matter how close.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The most ignorant comments I am seeing are regarding the "mud tires". People clearly don't understand that designation. If I drive on a wet dirt road, that's mud, and the mud-terrain tires help with TRACTION. Now, tires to go through mud holes? Those are boggers. Big, round, monster looking things that help with both traction and flotation.

Burton79

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Occupation
Federal Government
I've been to some of those events. You sign a waiver than you accept full responsibility for any damages to your vehicles.
I did not know that outside of being a spectator. Thank you educating me on that.
I never had to worry about that stuff in the with the Hmmvh. Still, the OP did not submerge the vehicle in mud, unless there is more to the story and not all photos/videos are uploaded. By no means am I an expert in this area, but from an “investigative” background and looking at this, I see no difference in what was posted in the video versus driving down the road and hitting a puddle of standing water during heavy rain. That’s just my two cents.

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave, 2023 Rubicon 392
The most ignorant comments I am seeing are regarding the "mud tires". People clearly don't understand that designation. If I drive on a wet dirt road, that's mud, and the mud-terrain tires help with TRACTION. Now, tires to go through mud holes? Those are boggers. Big, round, monster looking things that help with both traction and flotation.
Another car blog with more comments:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/38559...er-voided-warranty-after-he-drove-through-mud

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
"......... drove through mud" makes it sound slow and deliberate and careful. It wasn't.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
This whole thing has got me really confused. The OP has a JT Gladiator and I think it has a water fording limit of 30 inches max which would be the same I guess for liquid mud? I have a 2018 JL Sahara stock suspension and I think I'm right in saying that the JT Gladiator is probably higher than my Sahara. So, here is my confusion, the bottom of my alternator is 40 inches above the ground and behind the radiator. How in the world could I possibly get mud or water to my alternator if I only went into water or mud of 30 inches or less? Surely the radiator and suspension and other components would shield the alternator! Me shaking my head and trying to figure this out! Photos provided of my alternator measurements, maybe some engineer on here can help me out?
Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud thumbnail_IMG_8211
Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud thumbnail_IMG_8212
Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud thumbnail_IMG_8213
😲
Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud iris

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This whole thing has got me really confused. The OP has a JT Gladiator and I think it has a water fording limit of 30 inches max which would be the same I guess for liquid mud? I have a 2018 JL Sahara stock suspension and I think I'm right in saying that the JT Gladiator is probably higher than my Sahara. So, here is my confusion, the bottom of my alternator is 40 inches above the ground and behind the radiator. How in the world could I possibly get mud or water to my alternator if I only went into water or mud of 30 inches or less? Surely the radiator and suspension and other components would shield the alternator! Me shaking my head and trying to figure this out! Photos provided of my alternator measurements, maybe some engineer on here can help me out?
thumbnail_IMG_8211.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8212.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8213.jpg
😲
iris.jpg
Water fording depth 30" means crawling through water. Not running, dashing, speeding, a slow walk through it, not splashing it up high over the hood and roof.
What we see in the pics and videos here is not water, nor is it what most call mud - it's muddy water with silt, sand, grit, dirt, possibly small rock in it and getting splashed up high. The speed in the video would seem to me to shove muddy water up high even under the hood.
When I wired my winch I could see direct routes from under the truck up to the battery area - I had a light under the truck and could easily see it up above when looking down past the alternator.

Worse - you have the belt and other spinning things churning things up under the hood.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Water fording depth 30" means crawling through water. Not running, dashing, speeding, a slow walk through it, not splashing it up high over the hood and roof.
What we see in the pics and videos here is not water, nor is it what most call mud - it's muddy water with silt, sand, grit, dirt, possibly small rock in it and getting splashed up high. The speed in the video would seem to me to shove muddy water up high even under the hood.
When I wired my winch I could see direct routes from under the truck up to the battery area - I had a light under the truck and could easily see it up above when looking down past the alternator.

Worse - you have the belt and other spinning things churning things up under the hood.
That makes sense, thanks.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Good lord could of of bought a heated pressurewasher, hot air car dryer , and new ho alternator for this much consternation, and be ready to do it again confidently

Sponsored

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
I hope he sues and wins, they damaged the value of his property by voiding the entire warranty.

As mentioned, none of us are experts and who is to say this isn't a design flaw we could all be victims of. I see this story gaining traction on other news feeds and it will affect sales, especially someone that is on the fence with what to buy that reads this. Imagine if this truck stalled out in a storm trying to get to safety and this happened. They should be thanking him for discovering the issue and could of used it as a learning tool, but the crappy dealer went over the top and their name is going viral on this as well. The OP has a guaranteed win here, good luck, even though he doesn't need it.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I did not know that outside of being a spectator. Thank you educating me on that.
I never had to worry about that stuff in the with the Hmmvh. Still, the OP did not submerge the vehicle in mud, unless there is more to the story and not all photos/videos are uploaded. By no means am I an expert in this area, but from an “investigative” background and looking at this, I see no difference in what was posted in the video versus driving down the road and hitting a puddle of standing water during heavy rain. That’s just my two cents.
1. Driving down the road and you hit a puddle that sprays water everywhere: You continue on your way.

2. Driving down the road and you hit a puddle that sprays mud everywhere: You turn around and "plow through it a bunch of times" until your jeep dies.

Seems different to me.

MikeNC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
This hit the national news feed I got it yesterday on AP. That sure ought to do something. I bet fomoco loves this!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. Driving down the road and you hit a puddle that sprays water everywhere: You continue on your way.

2. Driving down the road and you hit a puddle that sprays mud everywhere: You turn around and "plow through it a bunch of times" until your jeep dies.

Seems different to me.
Exactly. Clearly in the video posted the Jeep didnt' die. And the mud on it in the tow picture means he drove it repeatedly and harder through the puddle each time.
Sponsored