Sponsored

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Im not a Gladiator owner but I really take offense to this.

First of...why are you name calling?

Secondly...its not "invisable" ....but Jeep literally markets the Jeep as the ultimate offroading machine. And Im not sure about the Gladiator but my Rubicon has 30in+ of water clearance. I dont think a foot of mud should do anything....
Inviincible was the word however i got spell checked. Sorry your skin is so thin that your offended, Get tough... Yes in my opinion he is a idiot... Read your warranty card in the the Gladiator for trail capable specifies 30" of WATER NOT MUD.. there is a difference.
Sponsored

noloc45

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
That's still not the word you're looking for...

Inviincible was the word however i got spell checked. Sorry your skin is so thin that your offended, Get tough... Yes in my opinion he is a idiot... Read your warranty card in the the Gladiator for trail capable specifies 30" of WATER NOT MUD.. there is a difference.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Marketing aside. There is a difference between a part failing because it was defective, and a part failing because the operator caused the failure.

Simply because something is marketed as being "off road capable" does not mean you can just run it however you want without liability.

Learn to off road safely and responsibly and your vehicle will take you there and back. Or just hammer down and pay for your mistakes.

Go join an established Jeep club, go on some group rides and learn the right way to run off road. Your Jeep and wallet will thank you.

noloc45

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I dont disagree.

But running through a few inches of mud shouldn't be disabling your vehicle. Much less your off road built vehicle.

This is of course saying everything OP stated is true.

That being said, my Rubj was defective in a similar manner to OP. I live in Florida. The trails here dont have mud. It's just clay/dirt trails. And my lockers got messed up. Why? Because of dust? Am I supposed to just keep it parked in the garage then?

Marketing aside. There is a difference between a part failing because it was defective, and a part failing because the operator caused the failure.

Simply because something is marketed as being "off road capable" does not mean you can just run it however you want without liability.

Learn to off road safely and responsibly and your vehicle will take you there and back. Or just hammer down and pay for your mistakes.

Go join an established Jeep club, go on some group rides and learn the right way to run off road. Your Jeep and wallet will thank you.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont disagree.

But running through a few inches of mud shouldn't be disabling your vehicle. Much less your off road built vehicle.

This is of course saying everything OP stated is true.

That being said, my Rubj was defective in a similar manner to OP. I live in Florida. The trails here dont have mud. It's just clay/dirt trails. And my lockers got messed up. Why? Because of dust? Am I supposed to just keep it parked in the garage then?
It's not the driving through mud that is an issue. It's the speed at which it was done. Look at my profile pic. See my front wheel? It's not black like it should be. I drove through soupy ass mud that was about 12-14" deep. Notice my Jeep is not covered in mud as well? That's because I drove through slowly. And I didn't break anything. Imagine that.

There is a right way to wheel, and a wrong way to wheel. At least while you're still under warranty. After that 36k go break all the crap you want. It's coming out of your pocket at that point.

As for your locker issue it's a known issue with the sensor in the differential. The diff isn't actually locking, at least it shouldn't be. That stupid light on the dash of my JK has been blinking on and off for years telling me my rear axle is locked. It's not. I can still engage and disengage the rear locker with the button, just the sensor is screwed up. On my '12 JKR I need to pull the carrier to replace the sensor. I believe it's the same on these newer D44's, but FCA is opting to replace the entire assembly instead of pulling the carrier to replace the sensor.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Oh, is that filtered water, standing water, potable water or is stream water acceptable? Just so we know your interpretation oh wise one

Apparently when your ford a river there’s no chance debris / mud is contained within this water weather it’s a 1” deep creek or 30” deep stream

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Apparently when your ford a river there’s no chance debris / mud is contained within this water weather it’s a 1” deep creek or 30” deep stream
There's a significantly lower chance. Those bodies of water are moving. There is also a difference between muddy water and mud

Last edited:

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Oh, is that filtered water, standing water, potable water or is stream water acceptable? Just so we know your interpretation oh wise one

Depends on what FCA lawyers dream up. I'm not the guy that has to be convinced/. I own a TJ that i take out and run through every thing

noloc45

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Mine wasnt simply a sensor issue. Thankfully my lockers werent engaging like OPs...but I couldnt engage or "disengage" at all. The lights would turn on as if engaged and I couldnt do anything about it unless I turned the truck off.

But 15 mins later it would happen again.

But this goes back to Jeep/FCA saying its our fault. All ive done is ride through dusty trails. Why would that mess up my sensor or my lockers? If dust is messing up even just my sensors, its a defect on Jeep/FCA. Not the driver.

It's not the driving through mud that is an issue. It's the speed at which it was done. Look at my profile pic. See my front wheel? It's not black like it should be. I drove through soupy ass mud that was about 12-14" deep. Notice my Jeep is not covered in mud as well? That's because I drove through slowly. And I didn't break anything. Imagine that.

There is a right way to wheel, and a wrong way to wheel. At least while you're still under warranty. After that 36k go break all the crap you want. It's coming out of your pocket at that point.

As for your locker issue it's a known issue with the sensor in the differential. The diff isn't actually locking, at least it shouldn't be. That stupid light on the dash of my JK has been blinking on and off for years telling me my rear axle is locked. It's not. I can still engage and disengage the rear locker with the button, just the sensor is screwed up. On my '12 JKR I need to pull the carrier to replace the sensor. I believe it's the same on these newer D44's, but FCA is opting to replace the entire assembly instead of pulling the carrier to replace the sensor.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine wasnt simply a sensor issue. Thankfully my lockers werent engaging like OPs...but I couldnt engage or "disengage" at all. The lights would turn on as if engaged and I couldnt do anything about it unless I turned the truck off.

But 15 mins later it would happen again.

But this goes back to Jeep/FCA saying its our fault. All ive done is ride through dusty trails. Why would that mess up my sensor or my lockers? If dust is messing up even just my sensors, its a defect on Jeep/FCA. Not the driver.
The sensor is internal in the diff housing. Dust would have no effect. You case just sounds like a bum locker. One of the drawbacks of E-Lockers, they go bad quicker than other options.

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I so appreciate all of these comments, thoughts, concerns, questions and the fact that this seems to be getting lots of press.

I KNOW that plowing through the mud was a mistake. I understand that killing the alternator also messed up the batteries. I was not going 3MPH in the mud. This is my first Jeep and I did what I thought it could handle. Also this happened at a state regulated off-roading park called Hungry Valley in Gorman, CA.

I LOVE this truck so much and I am not getting rid of it. I posted this to get opinions and I got that. I also wanted people to be aware of this situation for their own personal sake to maybe avoid this happening to them.

I think that Jeep can make this right by keeping the restriction on my engine but not voiding out the entire vehicle warranty. The rear axle issue is COMMON...that is my point. The amount of people that have had to have their rear axle replaced under warranty is a lot. Jeep needs to issue a TSB for the rear axle.

Also there are TOO MANY threads about the batteries being faulty and noticing it when the start/stop system doesn't work. Jeep needs to fix this for all of us!

Also HUGE shoutout to Z automotive for the $180 Z Locker OEM cable that fixed my rear axle. Thank you thank you thank you.

Thank you again...also I'm not a dude. I'm a chick.
And finally, some resolution...

Definitely look into mediation with FCA about the rear axle. I had to go through the same process when my center diff on my '12 separated from the tubes. It took a couple of weeks as FCA had to research the issue, but they did find that there was a large enough batch of D44's that got through QC that they did pick up the tab for them all to be recalled. It's a sucky process but they did step up to the issue.

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
So I have to drive 5mph on my 1.5 mile long dirt driveway? It is littered with mud puddles, potholes etc and when it snows if I don't haul ass i'm guaranteed to get stuck.The road is junk most of the winter. My rule for my wife and kids is drive the road and no lolly gagging until you get to the gate, because if you idle it or put around and don't have momentum its going to take the excavator to get you out if you spin out or worse if you slide off sideways and blow through the fence. I had to use my 305 Cat this morning to fix the side of my culvert as it was holding water 6" deep against it and its been muddy and frozen only in the mornings due to a warmer then normal January so the ground isnt frozen all day and its getting worse from the daily freeze / thaw so I just bladed it out again. I already go to the car wash 2 times a week.

Reminder, I have (2) jeep gladiators my daughters sport and a Mojave. The Mojave def handles the bumps better.

OP hope your lawsuit is in motion,

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
So I have to drive 5mph on my 1.5 mile long dirt driveway? It is littered with mud puddles, potholes etc and when it snows if I don't haul ass i'm guaranteed to get stuck.The road is junk most of the winter. My rule for my wife and kids is drive the road and no lolly gagging until you get to the gate, because if you idle it or put around and don't have momentum its going to take the excavator to get you out if you spin out or worse if you slide off sideways and blow through the fence. I had to use my 305 Cat this morning to fix the side of my culvert as it was holding water 6" deep against it and its been muddy and frozen only in the mornings due to a warmer then normal January so the ground isnt frozen all day and its getting worse from the daily freeze / thaw so I just bladed it out again. I already go to the car wash 2 times a week.

Reminder, I have (2) jeep gladiators my daughters sport and a Mojave. The Mojave def handles the bumps better.

OP hope your lawsuit is in motion,
Yes, either pave it, take care of it better (all mile and a half), or don't try a warranty claim and bitch when they say it's outside of it lol. That's between you and the dealer, luckily I have gone slowly through the mud holes I have gone through. I think as long as your ENTIRE vehicle isn't covered like OPs was, literally COATED on the roof like it was dumped on there, I think you'll be ok.
Sponsored