Status
Not open for further replies.

AZBL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevrolet Silverado, 1993 Volvo 240, 2007 Chevrolet Impala SS, 2004 GMC Canyon
Occupation
Government
I am in the market for a Gladiator Rubicon to use as my daily and weekend adventure/overland vehicle. Would the diesel be worth the wait or just get the gasser instead?
Sponsored

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
That is tough to answer. This is new waters we are treading in. The power plant is proven so no real concerns there other than mating it to a Jeep. Bound to be some first year quirks. I think it comes down to the price tag. I thought about waiting as I have loved my Jetta TDI. But really the v6 won out because of price, sound (and exhaust options) and availability right now. And by that I mean some of the crazy rebates available due to covid. My dealer had 6k in rebates plus I was able to get another 3k off. So timing was an issue for me.

I do believe in the end it will be a sought after config assuming everything goes to plan. And it will. The Jeep teams loves The Jeep brand as much as we do. Had the opportunity meet a few shot callers through my exploits.

So for many it may just be a price issue. ‍

:jk::jk::jk:

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
There are a number of threads in the Diesel engine forum down below with lots of information for you to consider from people with various viewpoints. Remember when comparing costs to do so on an apples to apples basis, taking into account things like the auto transmission that are included in the diesel upgrade numbers some throw around.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Also, take into account they have said the diesel will not come with 4.10 gears in the Max Tow or Rubicon models... It will come with 3.73's.... Which is absolutely stupid that Jeep's engineers would do that.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The diesel maintenance (oil and filter, fuel filter) will cost a lot more. It will add 400 pounds to the front end. If you really want the diesel and don't need to buy now, go ahead and wait. If you need or want a JT now, the 3.6 is very good, especially with the 8 speed auto.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
The last Ecodiesel had a terrible track record, I couldnt get over that even with the new generation. When the new ecodiesel was released for Ram trucks there was a ton of chatter about the fact that the new upgrades didnt address some of the biggest reliability issues of the previous version (crank etc).

I decided not to wait for diesel and the pentastar has really grown on me. Admittedly after my first test drive of a JT I wasnt too impressed with the power. Having owned my Rubicon now for 5k miles I have to say the combo of the 8spd with the 3.6 is the smoothest and best calibrated engine and transmission combo Ive owned. The 8 speed isnt jerky and clunky like my F150’s 10 speed, but still has plenty of gears to always be in the right spot of the power band- unlike alot of 6 speeds Ive owned previously. That combined with the 4.10 gears on the Rubicon has proven to make the 3.6 plenty stout not just for my daily driving but towing as well. I tow my fishing boat 1-2 times per week, and an 18’ utility trailer with atvs or my compact tractor, and so far Ive been pleasantly surprised. It is certainly not overpowered, and it needs to rev to make power, but the 3.6 gets the job done. I also added an afe rock basher exhaust and with that the 3.6 even sounds better than I thought possible for a V-6.

No regrets from me for not waiting for the diesel, Im comforted by the fact that future repairs dont have the potential to be financial disasters. I think you have to ask yourself if you are willing to pay a massive upcharge and higher maintenance and potential repair costs just to gain torque and maybe a little driving range.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I really wanted the diesel, but in the end I didn't want to wait any longer. I purchased my JT in February and am very pleased with the power output of the 3.6 pentastar with 8 speed transmission, it gets the job done comfortably. The last modern Wrangler I had was a JKUR with the 3.8 V Sick. Sad little motor, so I was surprised at the 3.6 power output. For me the wait for the diesel was just no longer worth it. Good luck with your decision.

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired
Also, take into account they have said the diesel will not come with 4.10 gears in the Max Tow or Rubicon models... It will come with 3.73's.... Which is absolutely stupid that Jeep's engineers would do that.
Hadn't heard about the 4.10 vs 3.73 gears. Where did you get that information?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Truth be told, the 3.45s from the JL would be better suited to the EcoDiesel than the 3.73s. The Rams are getting 3.21s with the same engine and they are built to work and tow and come with 33" tires just like the Rubicons. There is NO case for 4.10s paired with an engine that makes torque at 1,600 RPM. It's just wasted powerband.

I have the 3.92s in my Ram Gen 3 EcoDiesel and sometimes I wish I had gone 3.21s. The driving experience with the diesel is night and day vs. the gas engines. Deep axle gears are not only unnecessary, they're a detriment.

The last Ecodiesel had a terrible track record, I couldnt get over that even with the new generation. When the new ecodiesel was released for Ram trucks there was a ton of chatter about the fact that the new upgrades didnt address some of the biggest reliability issues of the previous version (crank etc).
I had the same concerns about the cam gears, but the engineers assured me it won't be a problem, and the entire bottom end of the new engine has been redesigned. The EGR system has been redesigned. The turbo is new. All of the issues were addressed. Since this is the Gen 3 engine, and FCA went through such a nightmare with Gen 2, I am almost certain that they made sure they got it right this time.

To answer the OP's question, for a daily driver and weekend trail machine either engine will work great. After owning both, I'd probably base the decision on intended usage. The diesel costs a LOT more for basic maintenance. It's an expensive cost up front, expensive to maintain, and fuel costs more. BUT, it has a factory warranty that's 40,000 miles longer, gets far superior fuel economy in the real world, and the torque output is nearly double the Pentastar. That's a huge deal. They really are two engines that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Personally I think a Gladiator EcoDiesel would be close to the perfect vehicle.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Truth be told, the 3.45s from the JL would be better suited to the EcoDiesel than the 3.73s. The Rams are getting 3.21s with the same engine and they are built to work and tow and come with 33" tires just like the Rubicons. There is NO case for 4.10s paired with an engine that makes torque at 1,600 RPM. It's just wasted powerband.

I have the 3.92s in my Ram Gen 3 EcoDiesel and sometimes I wish I had gone 3.21s. The driving experience with the diesel is night and day vs. the gas engines. Deep axle gears are not only unnecessary, they're a detriment.

I had the same concerns about the cam gears, but the engineers assured me it won't be a problem, and the entire bottom end of the new engine has been redesigned. The EGR system has been redesigned. The turbo is new. All of the issues were addressed. Since this is the Gen 3 engine, and FCA went through such a nightmare with Gen 2, I am almost certain that they made sure they got it right this time.

To answer the OP's question, for a daily driver and weekend trail machine either engine will work great. After owning both, I'd probably base the decision on intended usage. The diesel costs a LOT more for basic maintenance. It's an expensive cost up front, expensive to maintain, and fuel costs more. BUT, it has a factory warranty that's 40,000 miles longer, gets far superior fuel economy in the real world, and the torque output is nearly double the Pentastar. That's a huge deal. They really are two engines that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Personally I think a Gladiator EcoDiesel would be close to the perfect vehicle.
I know Diesels and towing, and I beg to differ. You will want 4.10’s. Agree to disagree.

Your opinion of higher gears is your opinion.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hadn't heard about the 4.10 vs 3.73 gears. Where did you get that information?
Someone posted it on here... can’t remember er where.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Reasons to get a diesel:

- Amazing torque
- Oustanding towing capacity
- Much better MPG than a gasoline engine

The new Jeep diesel has mediocre torque, *LESS* towing capacity than the gas engine and only slightly better MPG. Oh, and it costs a *LOT* more.

I was excited about a diesel Gladiator. After learning the reality, I have to ask, "What's the point?".

STLDAVE

First Name
DAve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner, Shopping for JT
Occupation
Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)