First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think that most of the people that don’t want a diesel, have never had a diesel. But that’s OK. Choices are good.

However, here’s compelling evidence of one of the greatest attributes of the Ecodiesel, mileage...
This picture if from my GC. Notice the average fuel economy on this recent highway trip and the mileage left even with a little more than half the tank left...

1C6EC3AD-85A3-407D-B35D-582268057518.jpeg
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I would expect the diesel option to be the same as it is on the RAM truck...
Right, not the question though, they (FCA) need to be competitive with Chevy's pricing ($2495) ....which includes auto trans but you know it ain"t going to happen .... may get close on the engine price but you know Jeep will still stick it to us on the trans upcharge

Deleted member 23202

Jeep just needs the V8 they promised all the way back to 2007 with the Rescue concept that became the JK.
The V8 fits without a turbo to create heat, tows, has fuel economy features, and is proven throughout the lineup.
Forget diesel. Give me a naturally aspirated V8 any day.

Scott Andrews

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 LH CC Ecodiesel; 2021 Charger Scatpk
Occupation
Engineer
ummm.

"On Monday, we published a story to TFLtruck outlining your issues with the EcoDiesel engine in your 2014 – 2016 Ram 1500 trucks."

Isn't this a different engine? I thought the ECO-DIESEL for 2020+ RAMs and JEEPs were different.

IF I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
IF YOU are, c'mon bro, cut it out...
The Ecodiesel from 2020 on is a completely different engine where 80% of the parts were changed. It is referred to as a Gen3 Ecodiesel and has 260 HP and 480 lb-ft of torque in the Ram, with Wrangler and Gladoator models being somewhat less but still great.
If the author doesn't realize that there is a new Ecodiesel since 2020, then Google or YouTube is definitely not their friend, not to mention the enthusiast magazines!

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
The Ecodiesel from 2020 on is a completely different engine where 80% of the parts were changed. It is referred to as a Gen3 Ecodiesel and has 260 HP and 480 lb-ft of torque in the Ram, with Wrangler and Gladoator models being somewhat less but still great.
If the author doesn't realize that there is a new Ecodiesel since 2020, then Google or YouTube is definitely not their friend, not to mention the enthusiast magazines!
Bro, you commented on a post from 2019 that talks about an article with "2014-2016" in the title itself... Before the Gladiator even had it available... The author was not clairvoyant and writing about lawsuits and fixes to Gladiator motors here...

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I think that most of the people that don’t want a diesel, have never had a diesel. But that’s OK. Choices are good.

However, here’s compelling evidence of one of the greatest attributes of the Ecodiesel, mileage...
This picture if from my GC. Notice the average fuel economy on this recent highway trip and the mileage left even with a little more than half the tank left...

1C6EC3AD-85A3-407D-B35D-582268057518.jpeg
I realize this is an old post, but I’ll just throw out there that mileage is only part of the story.

I had a ‘13 VW Jetta TDI. By the time I factored in the more frequent fuel filter changes, lack of convenience (many stations in my area don’t have diesel), additional cost of diesel fuel, wondering if I’d be one of the folks that drew a golden ticket and had the fuel pump blow and FOD out the fuel injectors…it’s just not worth it (to me).

That’s not even getting into DEF, diesel fuel additives, etc. Factor that (additive) into the cost of each tank if you’re doing that.

I’m assuming that you could make a logical capability based argument for diesel > gas JT, but I will just say that I’d be surprised if for the average person, it would end up being cheaper (diesel vs. gas) AND be worth it, in terms of the concessions in the form of additional service cost, finding fuel, etc.

For a diesel enthusiast…which I was at one point…I get it. Lots of folks are going to disagree with me, but at the end of the day…LOTS of light duty diesel enthusiasts gloss over total ownership cost when they’re trying to get folks to drink the Kool-Aid.
Sponsored