Are you going to wait for the diesel?

• Total voters

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
the high price of diesel is a scam its a byproduct of the refining process to make petrol (gas)
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
The GM twins with the diesel were rated 22/30/25 mpg for 2018 in 2wd form, though for some reason it's down to 20/30/23 mpg for 2019. 4wd versions are 19/28/22mpg for 2019.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Source on JL forums who works on engine line says they are supposed to run a test deisel down the line today. Also states 2020 likely year for availability. This is for the JL but can be extrapolated for the JT.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Source on JL forums who works on engine line says they are supposed to run a test deisel down the line today. Also states 2020 likely year for availability. This is for the JL but can be extrapolated for the JT.
Yea makes sense based on what @JAY said at the launch. They said Calendar Year 2020 not model year. So my guess is we have a good 13-15 months still.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I really want the diesel for the torque off-road. After driving the diesel J8 and having a JK... the J8 wasn't going to win any races, but it also seemed to be less affected by hills, wind, and you could essentially set the cruise on the highway and forget it.

On my JK the gas engine (3.8, I know the 3.6 is better now) revs higher on hills, the lift and tires killed the mileage compared to a similar J8 with diesel was at, and off-road it takes higher RPMs to get through things, where on the J8 diesel would idle through most everything.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
OK Gladiator, here's your target: 22mpg w/ 4x4.
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2019-ford-ranger-scores-highest-fuel-economy-rating
The ecodiesel should CRUSH this.
True, but if we're looking at this purely from a MPG standpoint ($$$$ standpoint) the Ranger still decimates the Gladiator. Why? Because a Ranger crew cab 4x4 with off road package will be attainable for $10,000 less than a Gladiator EcoDiesel.

$10,000 (or more, we haven't seen actual pricing yet) buys a LOT of fuel.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Because a Ranger crew cab 4x4 with off road package will be attainable for $10,000 less than a Gladiator EcoDiesel.

$10,000 (or more, we haven't seen actual pricing yet) buys a LOT of fuel.
Having higher tow rating, better fuel economy a straight front axle, frt/r lockers, convertible top, removeable doors, and a fold-down windshield might not be worth more scratch to you, but it will be to many -
(and Jeep knows it)

Sponsored

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Just for fun, I've been doing some math on this Gas VS Diesel subject. For me, I want the fuel efficacy of the diesel to save me money on fuel. I have come to the conclusion that the diesel is intended for those who either A: are looking for lots of torque for off-road, or B; need a grater range between fill.

My math is showing that the likeliness of recouping your money by filling up less will be slim.

So for my table, I will assume that the 3.6 JT will get the same EPA numbers as the JLU. (Rubicon models) they say the 3.6 in the JT will be a little more efficient ("6%" per Tim) so I would guess that it will probably be make up for most of the difference and have a combined MPG of 20. Diesel engines are typically 30% more efficient then gas, and the percent between a Ram 3.0 and 3.6 fuel economy is about 20%, so i will assume the JT 3.0 will be 20% more fuel officiant then the 3.6 resulting in a combined MPG of 24. Based on this, for my 17,100 miles a year, the JT 3.6 comes to $0.11 per mile and the JT 3.0 is $0.13 per mile.

upload_2018-12-13_13-48-50.png

(please note my excel is in German, so the comma is actually a decimal and vice versa)

To be saving any money on fuel, the JT 3.0 will need to get a average MPG of 27. Then I would be saving $5 per year on fuel Vs. the JT 3.6 fuel cost. Assuming the diesel is a $3,105 option (that is the price on the Colorado for the duramax) Ill have that bad boy paid for in 625 years.

upload_2018-12-13_13-55-48.png

So in conclusion, at this point based on guesses and current cost of fuel if i'm trying to "save money on fuel" the diesel 3.0 isn't going to do it. BUT if I simply just want to drive a little further before I fill up or have loads of torque, the diesel looks pretty good.

I would like to say I'm not trying to speak negatively about the diesel it for sure has its place in a jeep. But for me, the diesel choice is biased on fuel economy and towing since the JT will be my daily driver. So since its going to be down on max towing, higher cost, and higher fuel price, its the 3.6 for me.

Bonus points/ extra fun. If diesel and gas both cost the same, the JT 3.0 will save me $676 a year on fuel and can pay off the engine in 5 years.
upload_2018-12-13_14-30-8.png

Hope my super long post can be slightly helpful for someone trying to chose their perfect Jeep Gladiator!

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Just for fun, I've been doing some math on this Gas VS Diesel subject. For me, I want the fuel efficacy of the diesel to save me money on fuel. I have come to the conclusion that the diesel is intended for those who either A: are looking for lots of torque for off-road, or B; need a grater range between fill.

My math is showing that the likeliness of recouping your money by filling up less will be slim.

So for my table, I will assume that the 3.6 JT will get the same EPA numbers as the JLU. (Rubicon models) they say the 3.6 in the JT will be a little more efficient ("6%" per Tim) so I would guess that it will probably be make up for most of the difference and have a combined MPG of 20. Diesel engines are typically 30% more efficient then gas, and the percent between a Ram 3.0 and 3.6 fuel economy is about 20%, so i will assume the JT 3.0 will be 20% more fuel officiant then the 3.6 resulting in a combined MPG of 24. Based on this, for my 17,100 miles a year, the JT 3.6 comes to $0.11 per mile and the JT 3.0 is $0.13 per mile.

upload_2018-12-13_13-48-50.png

(please note my excel is in German, so the comma is actually a decimal and vice versa)

To be saving any money on fuel, the JT 3.0 will need to get a average MPG of 27. Then I would be saving $5 per year on fuel Vs. the JT 3.6 fuel cost. Assuming the diesel is a $3,105 option (that is the price on the Colorado for the duramax) Ill have that bad boy paid for in 625 years.

upload_2018-12-13_13-55-48.png

So in conclusion, at this point based on guesses and current cost of fuel if i'm trying to "save money on fuel" the diesel 3.0 isn't going to do it. BUT if I simply just want to drive a little further before I fill up or have loads of torque, the diesel looks pretty good.

I would like to say I'm not trying to speak negatively about the diesel it for sure has its place in a jeep. But for me, the diesel choice is biased on fuel economy and towing since the JT will be my daily driver. So since its going to be down on max towing, higher cost, and higher fuel price, its the 3.6 for me.

Bonus points/ extra fun. If diesel and gas both cost the same, the JT 3.0 will save me $676 a year on fuel and can pay off the engine in 5 years.
upload_2018-12-13_14-30-8.png

Hope my super long post can be slightly helpful for someone trying to chose their perfect Jeep Gladiator!
I did some math on my side, and at the moment Diesel is about 15% more per gallon, and with the Ram it got 30% better fuel efficiency.

At the moment diesel is about $3/gallon vs $2.60 for non-ethanol gas, doing the math at 22 vs 30 mpg it means $0.118/mile compared to $0.10/mile for diesel (or $0.018 per mile cheaper on diesel).

Assuming a $3,500 upcharge (I think the Grand Cherokee was around this price) you would need to drive 192,500 miles to get to the break even point.

I would assume that the diesel engine would have a slightly higher resale value helping to bring that recovery point down, but at the same time until we know that maintenance schedule and costs/reliability of the two engines that could be a game changer.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Ram it got 30% better fuel efficiency.
can you share where you are getting 30% from? using the listed EPA numbers from Rams website, I found the Ram 4x4 3.6 is rated at 23 highway, and 4x4 3.0 is rated 27 highway, 30% would put it over their EPA number they listed for the eco diesel.

upload_2018-12-13_15-25-12.png

$2.60 for non-ethanol gas
ethanol free gas is hard to come by around me, when you do its called "rec fuel" and that charge you a pretty penny for it because you know... less is more?

so with your math, for me to drive 192,500 miles, im looking at 11 years... I guess I could make that work

View attachment 6927

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
can you share where you are getting 30% from? using the listed EPA numbers from Rams website, I found the Ram 4x4 3.6 is rated at 23 highway, and 4x4 3.0 is rated 27 highway, 30% would put it over their EPA number they listed for the eco diesel.

upload_2018-12-13_15-25-12.png

ethanol free gas is hard to come by around me, when you do its called "rec fuel" and that charge you a pretty penny for it because you know... less is more?

so with your math, for me to drive 192,500 miles, im looking at 11 years... I guess I could make that work

View attachment 6927
Yea, and then we have to add in the higher cost of oil changes and DEF.....so pretty much if you want the diesel because you simply prefer it over the 3.6, want the torque for off-road purposes, or tow on a regular basis, get it. However there is no financial justification pertaining to fuel economy that I have seen pertaining to the JT, F150, or GM midsize truck as they all have viable V6 options

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Dont forgrt the V6 vrs turbo 4, and for me the biggest issue between the Ranger and JT is the significantly better rear cab functionality and leg room found in the JT. Also thanks to WXman for supporting my posts on the Ranger forum about the JT and his pro JT comments on that forum when comparing the JT against the Ranger. Intersting to see the number of guys on multiple forums.

Having higher tow rating, better fuel economy a straight front axle, frt/r lockers, convertible top, removeable doors, and a fold-down windshield might not be worth more scratch to you, but it will be to many -
(and Jeep knows it)
Sponsored